TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Uni interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 06:46 PM

I have 3 interviews for Uni within the next few weeks.
I went shopping with my Mum today and tried on some suits. Only found one that fitted me properly. I have wide shoulders and hips but I am quite slim everywhere else which makes it difficult to get clothes that fit. They are usually too small on my hips and shoulders or too big everywhere else.

This is the suit that we found and it was nice. I have never had to wear a suit before so it fell really weird and a bit uncomfortable.

Jacket
http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product...ist=Dept,brand

Trousers
http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product...t-trouser/5413

I am now looking at alternatives for a suit. If I find something that I am more comfortable in then I will get that if not the suit is there as a last resort option.

I guess the general idea is to wear a suit but it doesn't actually say anywhere you must wear a suit to a Uni interview. If I find something that looks smart enough I think it will be a suitable substitute for a suit.

I really like this outfit
http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women...ra=sch&n=women

and I have a nice short double breasted mac style jacket that is really smart and I think it would go well with this.

I also like this dress.
http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women...a=sch&n=womens

I would wear tights with this and I would also wear my mac jacket.

I kind of think these last 2 outfits look more feminine than a suit.

I know that my outfit isn't the most important thing and what I say and how the interview goes will be the important thing but I want to look smart to make a good first impression.

So if anyone has any suggestions then I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Melody Pond; February 14th 2010 at 09:32 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Samantha

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 07:11 PM

You could try a pencil skirt with a tucked in blouse.

~Samantha~

PM me anytime

Recovering Self Harmer

Rape Survivor 9/28/11

The Day I Met My Soulmate 10/27/11

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 07:14 PM

I quite like the dress. It looks smart and the jacket will also make it look more formal.

Tbh I'd say go with one of your options rather than the suit because if you're sat there wearing something uncomfortable and you're feeling weird it might affect your interview in a bad way.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.ordinary.dreamer View Post
You could try a pencil skirt with a tucked in blouse.
I tried on a few skirts and I just felt so ridiculously uncomfortable.

Also a lot of the skirts had suit jackets to match and the suit jackets didn't fit well and my mac jacket wouldn't go with the skirts I was looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
I quite like the dress. It looks smart and the jacket will also make it look more formal.
That dress is out of stock and I wouldn't be able to get it for 2 weeks and that is too late for my interviews.

So far my favourite is this outfit that I posted up there
(http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women...ra=sch&n=women)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 08:49 PM

I'm not sure how much this is going to help but for my uni interviews i wore a black pinafore i already owned with a white tshirt under it and boots, or a winter skirt just a normal comfy winter skirt with a shirt and jumper and felt very very comfy and not over or under dressed

I would vote no on the suit i can't remember seeing any girl in a suit for any of the interviews i went to

good luck!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 09:46 PM

if you're not comfortable in a suit, don't wear one. if you've never worn one before then you'll probably not feel relaxed and then it might affect your performance in the interview. that outfit that you posted it perfectly fine, it's definitely smart enough for an interview situation. if you wanted you could always wear something similar to that but team it with a blazer to make it smarter, but not quite a suit..

what shoes are you planning on wearing with it? and do you have a picture of the mac?.. what jewellery are you going to wear, if any? also for make-up, i'd keep it to a minimum, maybe just some mascara and base. you don't want what you look like to detract from your good answers!!

good luck,!!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
jellyfish Offline
No Rest For The Wicked
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Interview outfit help - February 13th 2010, 11:52 PM

You can never go wrong with a trouser suit, white shirt and heels. I know how uncomfortable they are and its such a relief to get back into jeans and a hoody!
I would say go for the suit with heels cause this is power dressing and I think it looks really smart. Heels are proven to make you look like you have a sort of professional and authorative air about you.
If its an interview then you only have to put up with it for like one morning or a day.

Otherwise I would say the shirt insert looks good. With black trousers and heels. Take off your jacket before you enter the waiting room.

Hope it all goes well for ya!!

She flies with her
own wings

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Interview outfit help - February 14th 2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post

I would say go for the suit with heels cause this is power dressing and I think it looks really smart. Heels are proven to make you look like you have a sort of professional and authorative air about you.
If its an interview then you only have to put up with it for like one morning or a day.
Well the interviews are all day long things. The also involve tours of the campus.
So for that heels are a total no. I only own 1 pair of heels and they are not appropriate for an interview If I bought new ones I wouldn't have time to wear them in and I do not want to end up with blisters while walking around on the tours. Heels don't look authorative when you are limping about in pain and falling over.

Also since I am very tall anyway, I feel uncomfortable in heels as they make me even taller. And they make my trousers look too short. I do not want to spend the whole day feeling self conscious.

I do agree the suits look smart but only if they fit right. I cannot find a suit that fits me right and they end up looking so scruffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

what shoes are you planning on wearing with it?
and do you have a picture of the mac?..
what jewellery are you going to wear, if any?
also for make-up, i'd keep it to a minimum, maybe just some mascara and base. you don't want what you look like to detract from your good answers!!
I have got some new shoes for the new term of school which I will be wearing. They are comfortable and will not give me blisters.
These.
http://www.clarks.co.uk/find/departm...ct-is-20333262
I have tried on all the trousers with these shoes and the length of the trousers with them is perfect.
They have only been worn twice so far and are all shiny but I will polish them before.

Here is a picture of the jacket I will be wearing
http://www.bluefly.com/Kenneth-Cole-...3-000423bb4e95

For jewellery I will be wearing my plain white gold stud earrings. I will also be wearing my watch. I might wear a plain necklace but I doubt it.
Also with make up, I never wear any make up unless I am going out somewhere like a party. I might wear mascara but that would be it, I don't want to be worrying about my make up smudging and having to re apply it.
I will also be having my hair tied back.

Because the course I am going for is a health care profession I am trying to keep it simple. In my career at a hospital I will have my hair tied back, pretty much no make up and only stud earrings. So there is no point going over the top glamorous for the interview.

.................................................. .................................................. ..................................

I forgot to mention. I will be on hour and a half train journeys to these interviews so I will need to be comfortable and be wearing something that won't crease easily.

Last edited by Melody Pond; February 14th 2010 at 09:39 AM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Interview outfit help - February 14th 2010, 03:53 PM

Even just some smart trousers, nice top, and a cardigan would look nice. I had an interview wearing that and felt really comfortable, yet quite confident as I wasn't too dressed up. Sometimes going for the whole suit thing can just look a bit 'too' professional, so with the cardi it would be easier to go around in.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Interview outfit help - February 14th 2010, 05:15 PM

Yay three interviews!!

Anything you've suggested would be fine. I love the jumper dress thing (grey tights, black shoes with a little heel?) personally. I actually tried the top on to go with the suit I wore for my intervews but its one of those tops that looks worse in real life if you get me especially if you're a bit chesty like me, so defintley go and try it on and if it doesn't look good you could always do what I did - buy the bits separately, like a shirt/blouse and then one of those knitware vest things (4 from primark!) to go over the top.

The only reason I really had to wear a suit was bc it was for medicine, I think the interviews are a lot different for other courses.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Interview outfit help - February 14th 2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Yay three interviews!!

Anything you've suggested would be fine. I love the jumper dress thing (grey tights, black shoes with a little heel?) personally. I actually tried the top on to go with the suit I wore for my intervews but its one of those tops that looks worse in real life if you get me especially if you're a bit chesty like me, so defintley go and try it on and if it doesn't look good you could always do what I did - buy the bits separately, like a shirt/blouse and then one of those knitware vest things (4 from primark!) to go over the top.
Yep three interviews, one offer and one rejection

I am really annoyed that the dress is out of stock because that was my favourite out of the outfits.

I am now leaning towards the layered top. I think it will suit me because I wear similar tops for school. Our 6th form uniform is just black/white/grey smart casual, so I wear different styles of those layered tops with trousers. So I know I will be comfortable in them too.

I just need a new one as the ones I have are faded from being washed so much. There are tonnes of these tops in pretty much every store so if the one from next looks weird then I can get one somewhere else pretty easily. Or do separates like you suggested.

I just need to see what it all looks like with my new coat.
Me and my Mum are going out again tomorrow so I will update you all tomorrow

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Interview outfit help - February 15th 2010, 04:32 PM

Got an outfit now

I got the trousers from that suit in the first post.
This shirt (but the stripes are black though not blue and grey)
and this tank top (Thanks for that idea Rachel )

and it all looks really smart together and nice with my coat
Oh and most importantly it is all SO comfortable...

The top in Next was nice and fitted well but the shirt part was a funny grey. It looked like it was meant to be white but something black ran in the wash making it grey.

So this can be closed now, thanks for the help everyone

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Interview outfit help - February 15th 2010, 04:50 PM

looks good to me! :] hope the interviews go well.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread