TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Unhappy shopping makes me want to cry - April 18th 2010, 01:04 AM

it's true. it's awful because i'm huge and oddly shaped. i'm really tall, but all my height comes from my torso, not my legs. also, i don't look tall, because i'm really widely built with broad shoulders and a big head. worst of all, i have this awful gut that i can't get rid of. i can't fit into anything cute without ripping it, all i can wear are practically nurse shirts and pants. i hate clothes shopping, last time i went i almost cried it was so frusterating because nothing fit me. i love shops like Aeropostale, Plato's Closet, Hot Topic, Forever 21, but i can't shop anywhere but Old Navy because nothing fits me! i hate it i hate it i hate it! i can't get rid of my gut, and even if i did i can't change how widely built i am. i have, like, 3 outfits that fit me other than my school clothes (which make me look horribly fat, polos and khakis are only good for thin people). and since my torso is so long i can't wear one piece swimsuits, and i'm so self conscious in bikinis. it makes me not even want to go swimming, even though i love to. i'm almost 5'9, weigh more than anyone in my grade, and i'm only 13! please somebody help me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 18th 2010, 01:30 PM

Hey, I'm 5'9 too! Tall people are the best! And I was at Old Navy yesterday! You know, I don't think it's so much about what you look like (though there's always the option of getting into a healthy exercise program), but I think it's rather about clothes that accentuate your good features and hide your not-so-good features! Have you ever read Seventeen or any of those kinds of magazines? I'm really tall, so often I'll use their suggestions about what will and won't look good on tall people. They give some really great suggestions! (:

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 18th 2010, 01:42 PM

thanks but the problem is, Seventeen assumes that you'll be tall and thin, but i'm tall and wide. So nothing fits me!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 19th 2010, 05:41 AM

Hey-

I absolutely hate shopping because of my body. I usually have a break down in the middle of the store to be perfectly honest. I'm not sure where you live, but Torrid is THE best place on the face of the earth in my opinion. It's pricey sometimes, but totally worth it. I'm not very tall though so I don't know about that aspect, but most of my friends who can't find good fits at Hot Topic, Forever 21 and all those kinds of places love Torrid. =)

Another thing to try is go into a really nice store and ask them to help you pick out clothes. Usually they will, and they know really well what kind of things will fit. I wore a lot of guys pants in elementary/middle school (and still do now tbh) because someone at Kohl's helped me out and showed me which size would work and explained why they fit me better in a nice way. It was super cool.

Good luck. Make sure not to get too down, clothes shopping can be hard sometimes. But I'm sure you're beautiful =)

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 19th 2010, 06:07 PM

I'm not really up on women's fashion, but maybe you could try half-length boardshorts with a bikini top for swimming and skinny guys jeans like Levi's 511's or even 514's for casual pants.

I hate clothes shopping too, I have a [Edit-Clothing sizes] chest and a [Edit - Clothing Sizes] waist with a short torso and long legs, which makes buying shirts impossible.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Last edited by Jack; April 19th 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Clothing measurements are not allowed on TH.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 20th 2010, 12:16 AM

thanks guys. i like those suggestions, and i'll try them out.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 20th 2010, 07:42 PM

Hey just to let you know, you are not alone with the way you feel. i used to literally burst out crying in stores because i just looked rubbish in everything! i was overly skinny and in every shop i went into the sizes where too big for me, it was degrading because all i could wear where tracksuit bottoms because i didn't like to wear tight cllothes because i looked like a skeleton!.

Some good advice which i had was to not give up and to accept certain clothing items just aren't going to suit you, me or every one else. but this doesn't mean you can't wear anything attractive, there are some beautiful styles out there for girls of every size and shape. Try searching on google for styles and clothing items which suit your size. i'm not the best with fashion but i'm starting to learn what suits me and what doesn't.

Also, skinny jeans really could possibly suit you! Try them out and don't give up. Have you tried counselling?? this could help a lot, please don't put yourself down though, don't give up and keep your chin up

(#8 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 20th 2010, 08:02 PM

Hey hun.

I can under stand your frustration. Im 5''5 and a bit on the heavier side. Im no Megan Fox.
Im going to give you some examples, dont be afraid to shoot them down.

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Cotto...PurchaseType=0

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Beade...PurchaseType=0

http://www.avenue.com/clothing/Sequi...PurchaseType=0

Take a look around the site. There aren't a lot of great pieces because its geared for 25 and older but I think you might find some you really like

And take a look at lanebryant.com as well

Hun. There are looks, clothing and styles that for everyone! Including you. You just have to look

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 20th 2010, 08:05 PM

You should wear babydoll shirts to hide you gut =) I don't really have a gut but I I have wide hips, so shirts that confom to my body aren't comfortable or look good. I really like Wonderbreads links, try those.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: shopping makes me want to cry - April 21st 2010, 12:44 AM

I also forgot to mention I am a wider build as well. And baby doll shirts are the best if you want to hide something, even if you don't. They are fun, they have them for all seasons and the flirty.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
Closed Thread