TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grabungo Offline
Average Joe

Question Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 1st 2010, 11:03 PM

I know many people that hate Hip Hop..Like really hate...I mean the style and overall everything... http://themomblog.freedomblogging.co...aggy-jeans.jpg This is kinda how i look like..People think its wrong..Im beeing constantly said to stuff like ''Pull your pants up'' But whoever says it to me pisses me off and gets beaten up...Why do people hate the style there is nothing wrong to me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 2nd 2010, 12:21 AM

i like the style. but i think people dont like mainly because of they dont want to see certain things. not to mention the fact of that the style is connected to hardcore type people. like gangs and stuff.

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 2nd 2010, 12:31 AM

To be honest I have nothing against hip hop. I think the style is really cool. Urban > emo > prep. I actually prefer that a guy wear baggy pants than some really tight ones. Still, I think it's weird if a guy wears some reaaally baggy ones. You constantly have to pull em up anyway lol. Wouldn't it be better if they were a tighter fit and you didnt constantly have to worry about exposure? I have a story about that.. A couple days ago, there was someone from school who wore baggy pants. He was sort of doing this hardcore walk and his pants were rapidly sliding and - what happened next was inevitable... lol

Are baggy pants really that comfortable? They seem high maintenance, ironically enough

(#4 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 6th 2010, 07:25 PM

Because today Hip-Hop is so generic. There is nothing unique about it anymore. FGS, look at the top 10 chart. They're all hip-hop and they all sound the same!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 6th 2010, 07:46 PM

I don't hold anything against the people who like hip hop and who dress the way that you do, but I'm not a fan of the style. I think there's a huge difference between hating the people and hating the way they dress and what they listen to. I personally think that most of popular hip hop and rap artists are terrible singers, and the way the music sounds just isn't what I like. I also don't see anything remotely cool about seeing half a guys ass, no offense.

That being said, though, I also hate the look of guys in super tight skinny jeans and wearing eyeliner, so I'm not stereotypical. I just don't like some stuff.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#6 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 6th 2010, 07:57 PM

I guess that style is connotated with gangs and violence, which is why people may not like it. I say not like but really i mean 'fear' because of the stigma associated with it, 'oh you're wearing a hoody and you've got baggy jeans, you MUST be mugging people' etc. I don't hate it, i like baseball caps and hoodies and i think parts of the style is cool, although i will never be able to grasp the whole lowride jeans being 'cool', it's so ridiculous....doesn't your bum get cold? =/ lol.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 6th 2010, 08:00 PM

Just because it makes people look like an idiot ^^

(#8 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

May 6th 2010, 10:45 PM

People like the ones in that picture make me LOL, sorry :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by |FML|AntiX;379116.
Im beeing constantly said to stuff like ''Pull your pants up'' But whoever says it to me pisses me off and gets beaten up...Why do people hate the style there is nothing wrong to me
...they tell you to have some public decency so you beat them up? You sound like a nice guy

Last edited by Melody Pond; May 7th 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Merging posts.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 6th 2010, 11:05 PM

I dont give a shit what people wear as long as they dont walk up to me naked lol. I wear watever's comfortable, and that doesnt make me look like a fool that escaped from a zoo.

But I do hate to the gut people that dress as somethin stupid i.e wearing some shit that looks like haloween costumes the year round. Its just attention seeking. Makes me flip.

As for hiphop. Lol what difference does it make if people hate it.
"bad style", "bad role models"...
to me its dumb excuses to dump the bullshit and blame on someone else. If people dont want their kids growing up a certain way its their own fking job to bring them up. Not expect the whole world to swirl around their ass and set the right example.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 03:37 PM

I love the music, I just don't see the point in sagging your pants.
If you're such a big gangster wouldn't you rather have your pants pulled up so you can run faster?
I used to dress somewhat like that in Jr high but then cops are always stopping you, floorwalkers follow you around in stores thinking you're going to steal ... gets ridiculous.
Besides it's all you see now everybody dressin the same.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 04:12 PM

Please try to stay civil and be respectful..

People have different styles. Some people may not like you style but you shouldn't let it bother you, I am sure there are some styles you don't like too.
I personally don't like this style, but I don't really stick with particular styles and I just go with what I like.
Sometimes I do think the style is inappropriate. Some guys dress like this for school and I don't think it is right to be walking around with your bum and underwear out when in school. The teachers do tell them to cover up and I can see why and I do agree with that.

Last edited by Melody Pond; May 7th 2010 at 04:37 PM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 04:26 PM

I've always wondered how they keep their pants so low but they never fall... seriously I don't know how they do it. But going back I don’t really like rap I just listen to it to have a good time with my friends.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |FML|AntiX View Post
I know many people that hate Hip Hop..Like really hate...I mean the style and overall everything... http://themomblog.freedomblogging.co...aggy-jeans.jpg This is kinda how i look like..People think its wrong..Im beeing constantly said to stuff like ''Pull your pants up'' But whoever says it to me pisses me off and gets beaten up...Why do people hate the style there is nothing wrong to me
Maybe that's why there's so many negative connotations with hip hop

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 05:05 PM

Because pants were made to cover your ass, lol, not fall down.

And I just hate the style in general. Not joking... But I would never ever ever date a little "hip hopper."

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 05:26 PM

Well hip hop style is usually associated with gangs and violence.
And saying you beat people up who hate your style..well that proves my violence point.
Also what is so great about wearing your pants down to your knees?

I don't hate hip hop. But personally, I think it gives off a bad rep when you dress that way.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 08:05 PM

If someone says something u dont like about your style to you... you dont have to beat them up for it. Why should u even care? Its ur style, not theirs. Personaly id find it irritating pulling my trousers up all the time.

I dont like really bagy trousers on me because they'd just irritate me. Especially that my keys and coins, and phone would weight them down all them time.

Hate tight ones though lol... they grip around my legs and nuts too much so I end up with rashes that I cant stop scratching. Plus I feel queer walking in them

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 7th 2010, 08:45 PM

ive always hated the hip-hop thing. Reasons are becouse its generic, its a stupid fad to be honest. The whole thing of wearing your jeans halfway down your legs is ridiclouse.

Last edited by Melody Pond; May 8th 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Removing off topic discussion
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 9th 2010, 02:25 PM

I just don't like the style at all. I think that it is either thugs and gangsters who wear it or people who want to think of themselves as badass thugs and gangsters. The fashion is used to portray a lifestyle, in my opinion. Granted it may be totally a fake one, but you don't really make a good case for yourself talking about beating people up for not liking your style. The look wouldn't be so associated with violence and douchebags if the people where it would quit being violent douchebags.

Honestly, I dislike most stereotyped fashions. I think that people should wear what they like and what looksgood and not try to conform to some set style. It's silly and it just makes you look responsible for every stupid thing someone has ever done while wearing the same style.

~Cody

Normal User

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sian

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 10th 2010, 09:26 PM

To be honest if my boyfriend started dressing in a "hip hop" way I'd have to sit him down and have a serious talk about what he's doing.
I just can't stand the style, like I can't stand these girls who go out in a tiny crop top, minni skirt that looks like a belt and 10" heels.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Unoriginal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jack

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 12th 2010, 06:32 PM

I dont see why everyone is on about the trousers at the knees buisness... Mine are round my knees everyday.. but i dont like hip-hop.

And for andy... if your trousers are at your knees, you should expect to be told to pull them up.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 12th 2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewayup View Post
I dont see why everyone is on about the trousers at the knees buisness... Mine are round my knees everyday.. but i dont like hip-hop.
Why around your knees? I guess it's ok at home, but it's just inappropriate in public..

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Unoriginal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jack

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 12th 2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post

Why around your knees? I guess it's ok at home, but it's just inappropriate in public..

I donít go around with a short top.. You canít see my bum... Heh. Itís just the way it goes. I donít like belts and my keys, money and phone always seem to weigh them down. But now I find I pull them down naturally even if they are right up, I think Iím just feeling more comfortable like that.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Grabungo Offline
Average Joe

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 13th 2010, 12:09 AM

Wow i didnt know my thread would get this popular and this negative when i saw this i shat bricks..

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Donnie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Donnie

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 19th 2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |FML|AntiX View Post
I know many people that hate Hip Hop..Like really hate...I mean the style and overall everything...
This is kinda how i look like..People think its wrong..Im beeing constantly said to stuff like ''Pull your pants up'' But whoever says it to me pisses me off and gets beaten up...Why do people hate the style there is nothing wrong to me

I like the style of hip-hop, but I don't like the style of saggy jeans. Why? Because its a gang thing. It started in jail when guys got their belts taken away, when they got out of jail younger members tried to emulate them and act tougher by not wearing belts either, then you have rappers trying to act "tough" and "ghetto" and want to look like they are from a gang, so they emulate the style of most gangs.

Now if I see a mate with saggy jeans walking around, I'm not going to say anything to him, that's his personal style and that's fine. I'm just not going to go around sagging my pants because not only of its history, but it just does not send off the message I want to portray. Also, I like to be able to stay active, and you can't run with pants around your knees.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Why do people hate Hip Hop - May 19th 2010, 06:25 PM

Closed at OP request.

Closed Thread