TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeeAnn_Angela Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Prom for Dummies XD - August 4th 2010, 11:32 PM

Right. So I have no idea when it comes to clothes or makeup or hair or...anything like that. I'm the girl who wears basically the same outfit every day and gets her homecoming dress for $12 on sale, lol.

But Prom is coming up this year...and I wanna look nice. I won't have much time this year to go shopping or anything, so I want to start looking now, only I have no idea what I'm looking for or what looks right or anything Help? Any advice at all would be amazing

If it helps: I'm about 5ft, have dark-ish brown hair and DARK blue eyes, and I have sort-of pale skin (I usually wear some shade of beige when I venture into foundation...). I can post pictures if you want...

Oh...and another little thing...I have some SI scars on my forarms. I don't want to cover them, per say, but if any of you fashion geniuses know any tricks to sort of...bring attention away, that would be nice

Thank you so much
  Send a message via Yahoo to DeeAnn_Angela  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SftBallbabe99 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ask :)

Re: Prom for Dummies XD - August 5th 2010, 05:07 AM

Looking now is a good idea. When the prom fever hits, the stores jack the prices up even more than they already are. Most department store sell prom dresses, but they don't carry a lot of them until that general time. A lot of wedding shops carry them though. I got a couple of mine from David's Bridal, and they seemed to have a nice selection. There's also a few specialty prom stores around, like All the Rage in VA beach. You can probably google and come up with some relatively close to you. If you're pale-toned, stay away from the lighter colors. They'll make you look washed out. Definitely not white or any very light pink or blues. A brighter pink or a blue would really bring out your eyes. Definitely google and check at some online stores before you go shopping and get an idea for what you actually want, but be sure to try on a few different styles and colors. Sometimes you'll fall in love with something you hated on the rack.

You can get your hair done at pretty much any salon, but be sure to call a few weeks ahead and schedule an appointment, just to make sure you get in. When you call, they'll probably ask you to come by sometime before so they can look at your hair texture to tell you what they want you to do with it before you come in. For most hair textures, it's easier to keep curl with hair that hasn't been washed in a couple days. Around February they'll come out with a ton of different prom magazines with all kinds of dresses and hair styles in them, and you can go through those or even just look online. There's tons of different styles out there, so make sure you find something you love Be sure to wear a shirt that buttons so you don't have to pull it off over your hair and mess it up.

Most department stores (Macy's, JC Penny's, Dillards, ect.) with makeup counters offer a makeup service for pretty cheap. Just be sure to schedule an appointment a couple weeks ahead of time.

Don't spend a lot on shoes, you usually take them off as soon as you get there anyway, and go for little heels or else your feet will be killing you by the time you get the dance If you start looking for shoes before you find your dress, silver matches just about everything, and has always been my color of choice because then you can wear them again

Sorry, I'm not much help in the scar area. I would say try some foundation, but it might rub off on your dress. There are a lot of lotions and creams out there that reduce the appearance of scars though, so maybe if you started using one now they would be somewhat better by prom?

Hope this helps

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Prom for Dummies XD - August 5th 2010, 05:48 PM

^ I agree

I'd also avoid a black dress, as it'll wash you out and make you look ghostly. I've always been a fan of green and it's not always an obvious choice for prom so it might stand out, plus it might draw attention away from your scars.
If you don't want to splurge on hair and make-up, try loosely curling your hair - classy and elegant, and a timeless, easy to do look As for make-up, go for something just past natural if you're not big on wearing lots day to day - depends on the dress, but a metallic grey and silver eyeshadow will bring your eye colour out. Add a touch of eyeliner and flick the outside edge up a tad to open up your eyes, and avoid too much dark on the lower lashes.

For the scars, I'd say you could try a pale foundation to disguise them, or wearing some really snazzy bangles that show off your dress will kinda hide them but also dress up your outfit. I think the knack here is to get attention focused on everything else. I'ma huge fan of long necklaces with lots of beads - the shinier the better - and something like that will draw attention away.

Happy shopping! Hope this helps

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Prom for Dummies XD - August 5th 2010, 06:52 PM

Depending on how formal your prom is you can always try gloves to cover your scars.
You can also try some of the things found here:
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f78-s...over-up-tips]/
If you have a while until Prom, I recommend bio oil. If used regularly over a few months it really makes them less noticeable.

And I agree with silver shoes. I wore silver shoes for my prom 2 years ago and I am now wearing them on Saturday for my birthday party

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Prom for Dummies XD - August 5th 2010, 09:31 PM

I would really recommend going to a salon, they can style your hair, do your make up and your nails for you. They also have all the professional products so you don't have to spend a ton on getting nice products that you'll only use once. If that's a little expensive for you, find out if there are any cosmetology schools around as they will often have much cheaper prices.

As for a dress: you could go to a store and get someone who works there to help you find one that compliments you, if you don't know much about it. They should know about what colours will compliment your skin, eyes and hair and will take your body type into consideration. I would recommend blue, as blue always looks good with blue eyes and pale skin. Jo recommended green, which I think would look good with your hair colour. Posting pictures might help us offer suggestions too, though, if you're comfortable with it.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Last edited by Toast; August 5th 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Closed Thread