TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Money This forum is for support with financial issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Question What pocket money did you get? - January 24th 2013, 06:35 PM

Hello nice peeps!

So, I'm wondering, what sorts of amount of pocket money (allowance, for all you American folks!) you got as you got older, and how old you were...

Mine, at 14, is 2.65/week...which is equivalent to only a tiny bit over 10/month, ($4.18/week, $16.74/month)

Now, if you ask most people in my yeargroup at school, they'll say something nearer to 10/week, let alone a month...and getting a job, well not an option for me unless anyone wants a website designed?

I really do need something more than the pretty insignificant amount that I get right now, because what with now having to actually buy things for myself, I have no disposable income whatsoever.

So I'm just wondering what you get/got (particularly at 14) so that I can tell if I'm being stupid and do get "enough" or whether it might actually be fair for my income to be increased...thanks!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 24th 2013, 07:57 PM

At 13, when I first moved to my grandparents, they gave me $10 NZD a week, which is about 3.25. Then I got a paper run, which paid roughly the same amount, and I stopped getting pocket money. This would have been when I was 14.

I didn't have a cell phone, or a computer or anything like that, all my school supplies were paid for, I was fed, and I had a roof over my head and clothes. Anything else I wanted, I saved for. Imagine that. Over the year and a half that I had a paper run, not including random amounts I spent, I saved over $150 a couple of times. It's not impossible.

Then when I turned 15 I got a job at the local supermarket, working 12 hours and getting paid the grand total of $60 for it. Which would be considered slave labour by today's people of that same age because in New Zealand now, there are no youth rates, so under 18s start at the same minimum wage as adults. Lucky.

Anyway I didn't have any money so I found ways to earn it. There's always places that want kids to deliver newspapers, and you can ask at your local supermarkets and takeaway places what the youngest age they'll hire is. Most will say 15, but there might be some who would take a 14 year old that had parental consent.

Now I just have two questions - first, why can't you get a job? Seriously. I want some good reasons. You're at high school I assume, so unless you do some very intensive sport or something, you have evenings and weekends, and you can still get your homework done.

And second, you're 14. Why do you even need disposable income? (Aside from that it's nice to have.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 24th 2013, 11:03 PM

When I was younger (I would guess around 8) I used to get $2CDN a week. Then when I was a bit older (I'm guessing around 13?) I was getting $20CDN a month for shoveling the snow in winter/mowing the lawn in summer, pumping the gas for my dad, cleaning the house, doing the dishes, etc..
When I turned 16 I got a job and stopped getting money from my parents.
They bought me clothes once a year, fed me, drove me places/bought me bus passes so I really had no complaints. My sister on the other hand had complaints and my mom would always cave to her (which I thought was unfair at the time). Comparing the two of us now, I turned out much better with money than my sister as I learned the value of a dollar thanks to my dad letting me work for it. My sister did nothing and got more than me because my mom didn't like to argue with her, and now she has no idea how to budget/save/or make money.

If you want to be getting more from your parents offer to work for it. That's what I did and I'm glad that they let me.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 25th 2013, 02:29 AM

Growing up, I never got an allowance. Ever.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 25th 2013, 08:21 AM

When I was 12-15 I got a range of amounts from 50p-2.00, it went up each Birthday, but not exactly much. xD My parents paid for clothes and such that were needed, but if I wanted a CD or something similar I had to save for it. At 16 my parents gave me 100 a month and said I had to buy everything myself, excluding things like food or any medication if it was needed. I guess they wanted to teach me how to look after my own money instead of them buying all my clothes for me, but it was weird after only getting so little to suddenly have money and I can't say I was great at saving it. xD

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 25th 2013, 12:33 PM

I never got pocket money, I think it needs to be properly earnt to deserve it, I always used to save Christmas and birthday money from family and friends if I wanted something.

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 25th 2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_black View Post
At 13, when I first moved to my grandparents, they gave me $10 NZD a week, which is about 3.25. Then I got a paper run, which paid roughly the same amount, and I stopped getting pocket money. This would have been when I was 14.

I didn't have a cell phone, or a computer or anything like that, all my school supplies were paid for, I was fed, and I had a roof over my head and clothes. Anything else I wanted, I saved for. Imagine that. Over the year and a half that I had a paper run, not including random amounts I spent, I saved over $150 a couple of times. It's not impossible.

Then when I turned 15 I got a job at the local supermarket, working 12 hours and getting paid the grand total of $60 for it. Which would be considered slave labour by today's people of that same age because in New Zealand now, there are no youth rates, so under 18s start at the same minimum wage as adults. Lucky.

Anyway I didn't have any money so I found ways to earn it. There's always places that want kids to deliver newspapers, and you can ask at your local supermarkets and takeaway places what the youngest age they'll hire is. Most will say 15, but there might be some who would take a 14 year old that had parental consent.

Now I just have two questions - first, why can't you get a job? Seriously. I want some good reasons. You're at high school I assume, so unless you do some very intensive sport or something, you have evenings and weekends, and you can still get your homework done.

And second, you're 14. Why do you even need disposable income? (Aside from that it's nice to have.)
OK. Well, I would love a phone. Infact, it's kinda essential when you to a school as far away from home, and is very tech-centric (as in, teachers often ask us to get phones out for web access because they're more reliable than the departmental laptops). My "phone" is a piece of plastic with a price of metal in it. I'm stuck on a contract with it, and in an effort to make it turn on, I'll had to totally clear everything from it.
So whilst it does now turn on, the calling, texting and everything-else capabilities are non-existent, because I had to modify most of the OS because it lagged too much. So, it's totally useless.
Computer...well, also essential for school and I am lucky enough to have a pretty nice one. Now I've invested about 300 in it (ontop of the original cost), it runs quite nicely.

When you factor in that I buy most things with the exception of food, water, electricity and the mortgage, my pitiful amount doesn't leave much to save. There's also the fact that saving everything for 1 year, even when taking out my expenditure, I still end up with an amount that can't buy much at all in the current economic mess that some nice multi-billionaires have got us in to.

To answer your questions:

Why can't I get a job?
Believe me, I've tried. Everywhere is full, or only takes on people for apprenticeships. I have asked EVERYWHERE. So, if I take things into my own hands and start my own little business...well, still making a total of about -50/year. I've not even covered costs. Or made any profit at all.
In any case, you should see how much homework I get.

Why do I need disposable income?
Well, actually, I'd quite like to be able to buy nice things. You know, get myself a phone that works...perhaps be able to afford the days out that all my friends go off on that I can't afford. Perhaps I could chip some into the family coffers so that we can afford proper, nice food that we like even when it's not on offer because it's out of date. Or maybe go on some school trips. Always nice not to be the one kid sitting in class all lonely because no-one can afford anything, whilst everyone else is off having a wonderful time skiing, or visiting Paris, and generally doing fun things that they can bring back fabulous stories of. It's bloody rubbish being poor in an upper class school.
Plus there's the fact that next year, I have to go on these trips for my GCSEs. That's gonna cost well into the thousands; the beginning-of-module trip in just ONE subject that I'm taking is going to be about 1k (which is 4% of my whole family's income...:/ )
So, I'd like to fit in.
Not in 20 years when I'll be earning my millions, but now.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13

(#8 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 25th 2013, 09:44 PM

Unfortunately having not a lot of money is a fact of life for a lot of people. When it comes down to it, you want disposable income for the same things everybody wants it for: fun and entertainment. Whilst I appreciate that your school situation isn't the best, you DO have a laptop you can use instead of your cellphone.

I'm 24, and I *still* don't have disposable income. At the end of every pay day, I'm right back down to zero. I have a a phone and internet bill, rent, food, and debts to pay. (For some reason the power company hasn't sent us a bill yet, which is scary.) Half the time my cellphone doesn't have any credit because I can't afford it, and I often can't visit people because I simply don't have the money for the bus fare. I'm living on my own, as independently as possible, and sometimes I still have to ask for help from people - I had a couple I'm friends with give me a food package a couple of months ago, because we had a larger than normal bill and couldn't afford food. It's life. It's not forever though.

Like you, I'm looking for work. Luckily the economy in my country is improving, so I should get hired before the middle of the year somewhere. Unfortunately due to my psychiatrist, I'm only allowed to work part-time. But again, it's not forever.

Things might be hard and you might feel poor now, but it isn't a life-long thing, and things will improve. As far as work goes, keep trying. Go back to places. Offer to volunteer to show them that you're worth hiring. And be thankful for what you do have - you're going to a good school, you have a roof over your head, and obviously although you don't have a lot of money, you're getting fed and your parents are able to pay the bills - or you wouldn't have the internet. You can read, you can write, and you have things you're passionate about.

Sure, money's nice. Having things you want is nice, too. And I am glad you responded and detailed why you want the money. But sometimes you just have to accept that things are the way they are, and there's not always a lot you can do about it.

Good luck with that job hunting.

Last edited by i_like_black; January 25th 2013 at 09:56 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 26th 2013, 10:41 AM

Our economy has just landed further down.
I mean, how is that even POSSIBLE? I didn't think it could get worse.
And George Osbourne has the cheek to then come on TV saying he's concerned about how we're all struggling with prices rising, etc.
I mean, sorry, no. Everyone's struggling because his cuts are stifling, and the government's "plan" for the economy ("why not stop everyone - except us - having any money and see if they spend more!") is the most ridiculous thing known to mankind.

However, thank you very much for your post. It helps a lot.

Skittlify me up...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 26th 2013, 01:17 PM

I never got allowances from my parents. But I always had ways of getting cash. Anywhere from selling stuff of mine I no longer wanted to using my skill set to make me cash. I mean who wouldn't want to hire a machiavellian mastermind

But until I got my job I had to buy anything I wanted. Actually the only thing I never had to buy was food and rent, anything else was all me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 26th 2013, 03:29 PM

$40 a month/$10ish a week (I am in college). I was never paid for chores. My mother expected me to do chores because I was part of the family, not because I wanted to cash in on it.

When I was younger and we had a little more money, I would get $1 for however old I was every week.

When we moved to a new state, we didn't have as much money, so my brother and I agreed that we'd cut our allowances in half so our parents could have more money for everything else.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 26th 2013, 04:25 PM

I got a fiver a week from my nan.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What pocket money did you get? - January 26th 2013, 08:05 PM

When I got an "allowance" it was maybe $5 a week so $20 a month and last lasted until I was probably 13 or so. In high school my parents gave me $40 a week but that was assuming I spent around $5-7 a day on lunch at schools cafeteria, but sometimes I spent less on lunch so I'd have money left over, but it wasn't an allowance it was just lunch money from my parents which a lot of people got.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread