TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 12th 2021, 01:42 AM

Have you all been following the trials?

Rittenhouse is definitely gonna walk away scot free. The judge is biased.

I think there's some hope for a good verdict I'm Ahmaud's case but they weren't gonna prosecute it until activists and the public forced their hand. His case was a modern day lynching and there's a pretty good chance that his murderers are gonna walk.

This just shows that the criminal justice system rewards white men and woman and harms POC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...orgia.amp.html
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 13th 2021, 02:47 AM

God this country needs a reset

edit: thank goodness they'll prosecute for the Ahmaud Arbery case. I think this country is on its last legs though, and mostly bad things will happen.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 13th 2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
God this country needs a reset

edit: thank goodness they'll prosecute for the Ahmaud Arbery case. I think this country is on its last legs though, and mostly bad things will happen.
There's just so much racism, bigotry and hate ingrained in all areas of the country. The passive racism behind Trumps presidency and election. The blatant racism we see within the justice system. The way congress won't vote for the voting rights act. It's all just a lot. What's worse is that there are so many people that feed into and accept the passive and blatant racism because it benefits them. And it's kind of "out of sight out of mind".
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 07:34 AM

I feel so sad for Ahmaud. I can't even imagine just how scared he must have been feeling.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
Have you all been following the trials?

Rittenhouse is definitely gonna walk away scot free. The judge is biased.

I think there's some hope for a good verdict I'm Ahmaud's case but they weren't gonna prosecute it until activists and the public forced their hand. His case was a modern day lynching and there's a pretty good chance that his murderers are gonna walk.

This just shows that the criminal justice system rewards white men and woman and harms POC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...orgia.amp.html
You are a mod of a mental health and crisis help site. Its inappropriate for you to constantly act like only your left side is valid on literally every single issue. Express your opinion, sure. But stop invalidating other viewpoints on a board like this. This isnt some democrat safe space.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
There's just so much racism, bigotry and hate ingrained in all areas of the country. The passive racism behind Trumps presidency and election. The blatant racism we see within the justice system. The way congress won't vote for the voting rights act. It's all just a lot. What's worse is that there are so many people that feed into and accept the passive and blatant racism because it benefits them. And it's kind of "out of sight out of mind".
Yet another example of you invalidating anyone with another political point of view. Here you are, on a help forum, nearly directly saying that those who voted for or support Trump must be a racist. Thats about half the country you just dissed, on a forum that is supposed to be “inclusive”. This site is turning into some sort of liberal echo chamber.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Yet another example of you invalidating anyone with another political point of view. Here you are, on a help forum, nearly directly saying that those who voted for or support Trump must be a racist. Thats about half the country you just dissed, on a forum that is supposed to be “inclusive”. This site is turning into some sort of liberal echo chamber.
Not gonna get into a huge discussion about this but the election of Trump was the acceptance and vote for blatant and passive racism. Being inclusive does not mean that one should accept racism and hate. It does not mean one should not call out the blatant and passive racism behind Trumps presidency. You say half the country voted for Trump like that automatically negates the fact that half the country is racist or, at the least, accepts the passive and systemic racism within the country. It doesn't. We are able to see the acceptance of this blatant and passive racism consistently throughout current events. To be quiet about it is to be part of the problem and condone the racism that is prevalent in our society. That's unacceptable to me and I won't do it.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 04:50 PM

May I just add that not all Republicans support Trump? My dad is a registered Republican and he didn't vote for Trump in either the 2016 or the 2020 election. He stood against a lot of what Trump was saying and thought some of the screws were going loose in the head. But he's a Republican and supports a lot of their views; however, he also begrudgingly accepts some of the Democrat views as well.

On the flip side, I consider myself centrist but more leaning Left. Am I a liberal Millennial hippie snowflake? I'll go on a rage if anyone calls me that; because there are "liberal Millennial hippie snowflake" viewpoints that I disagree with. I do support a lot of what Democrats strive for; but I do also, like my dad, begrudgingly see the points sensible Republicans make. I don't always accept either views.

Note: Sensible Republicans do not equal Trump and it offends them if you say "All Republicans support Trump" because if you look, there have been quite a few Republicans — including the guy that sent us to Iraq and Afghanistan for the second time — that are either closeted Democrats, unaffiliated, or have switched their party allegiance to Independent.

I think it's important that if you are a true American citizen, you can respect the diversity and inclusivity of both parties. Understand that there are different aspects of both parties, and both include a wide spectrum.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust. View Post
May I just add that not all Republicans support Trump? My dad is a registered Republican and he didn't vote for Trump in either the 2016 or the 2020 election. He stood against a lot of what Trump was saying and thought some of the screws were going loose in the head. But he's a Republican and supports a lot of their views; however, he also begrudgingly accepts some of the Democrat views as well.

On the flip side, I consider myself centrist but more leaning Left. Am I a liberal Millennial hippie snowflake? I'll go on a rage if anyone calls me that; because there are "liberal Millennial hippie snowflake" viewpoints that I disagree with. I do support a lot of what Democrats strive for; but I do also, like my dad, begrudgingly see the points sensible Republicans make. I don't always accept either views.

Note: Sensible Republicans do not equal Trump and it offends them if you say "All Republicans support Trump" because if you look, there have been quite a few Republicans — including the guy that sent us to Iraq and Afghanistan for the second time — that are either closeted Democrats, unaffiliated, or have switched their party allegiance to Independent.

I think it's important that if you are a true American citizen, you can respect the diversity and inclusivity of both parties. Understand that there are different aspects of both parties, and both include a wide spectrum.

No where was it said that all Republicans voted for Trump. That's why it was stated in a very specific way. The fact is that to be an Ally to POC you have to call out the systemic, passive and blatant racism. You have to do things that are uncomfortable. One cannot stay quiet out of comfort or what have you. That is a fact. Calling out the passive, blatant and systemic racism is a necessity to allyship and a necessity to seeing the country change.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 14th 2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You are a mod of a mental health and crisis help site. Its inappropriate for you to constantly act like only your left side is valid on literally every single issue. Express your opinion, sure. But stop invalidating other viewpoints on a board like this. This isnt some democrat safe space.
I really fail to see how this is some "leftist" comment or acting like this is a "democrat safe space." You'll notice the OP used absolutely no polarizing language in her post. In fact, she's reporting factual information more than promoting a political statement. The justice system in this country does favor white males and constantly invalidates and overlooks the needs and especially the struggles of POC. There's a reason activism regarding this glaring issue has picked up in the last ten years or so. It's time to address this problem, and explore the reasons why white men who commit heinous acts against others often get only a slap on the wrist.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 19th 2021, 04:43 PM

Rittenhouse was found not guilty on all charges. Not the least bit surprised. Another shining example of the US Justice system free white men who commit heinous acts.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 19th 2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Rittenhouse was found not guilty on all charges. Not the least bit surprised. Another shining example of the US Justice system free white men who commit heinous acts.
Another good example of why we have fair trial by jury rather than public opinion then! Jury didnt find evidence substantiated guilt beyond reasonable doubt. Are you suggesting you know something the jury didnt or that the jury should use emotion rather than logic in making such a significant legal decision as a verdict?
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 19th 2021, 08:31 PM

Just saw it on the news. There was no reason for Kyle to be out there 'helping' others during a protest with a gun. Personally, I don't think anyone should own a gun, full stop.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 20th 2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Another good example of why we have fair trial by jury rather than public opinion then! Jury didnt find evidence substantiated guilt beyond reasonable doubt. Are you suggesting you know something the jury didnt or that the jury should use emotion rather than logic in making such a significant legal decision as a verdict?
I'm saying the criminal justice system is inherently racist hence the phrase "systemic racism". That's why a white supremacist wannabe got off for murder while there are numerous examples of people of color being murdered by police or found guilty for crimes they did not commit. Think of the central Park five who claimed innocence and were unfairly prosecuted. This isn't an emotional situation this is a situation of "systemic racism" showing itself time and time again but people choosing to ignore it because they feel they benefit from that system or they are racist.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 20th 2021, 02:52 AM

Quote:
I'm saying the criminal justice system is inherently racist hence the phrase "systemic racism". That's why a white supremacist wannabe got off for murder while there are numerous examples of people of color being murdered by police or found guilty for crimes they did not commit. Think of the central Park five who claimed innocence and were unfairly prosecuted. This isn't an emotional situation this is a situation of "systemic racism" showing itself time and time again but people choosing to ignore it because they feel they benefit from that system or they are racist.
Criminal justice reform is actually one of the issues that I am more left leaning on. We do have unfair prosecution and convictions influenced by stereotypes and prejudice in this country. It's a huge problem, as are harsh tough-on-crime sentencing laws. Mandatory minimums do not take into account a person's unique circumstances relevant to the crime. All these are huge issues.

But what happened today was actually an example of justice carried out properly. Guilt of murder vs self defense was not established beyond a reasonable doubt. It was a unanimous decision by 12 laypersons of the public. Why shouldn't he walk?
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 20th 2021, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Criminal justice reform is actually one of the issues that I am more left leaning on. We do have unfair prosecution and convictions influenced by stereotypes and prejudice in this country. It's a huge problem, as are harsh tough-on-crime sentencing laws. Mandatory minimums do not take into account a person's unique circumstances relevant to the crime. All these are huge issues.

But what happened today was actually an example of justice carried out properly.
Today's verdict was an example of the racism inherent in our justice system. To say it is anything less than that is to gloss over the issue. Rittenhouse committed a heinuous crime and was allowed to walk without any consequences. Had he been a POC, it would have never made it to court because the police would have shot him. No POC could walk around with a gun and survive. White supremacy reigns Supreme in our justice system and today's verdict is proof of that.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42 Points: 88,797, Level: 42

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Today's verdict was an example of the racism inherent in our justice system. To say it is anything less than that is to gloss over the issue. Rittenhouse committed a heinuous crime and was allowed to walk without any consequences. Had he been a POC, it would have never made it to court because the police would have shot him. No POC could walk around with a gun and survive. White supremacy reigns Supreme in our justice system and today's verdict is proof of that.
This is just awful.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 03:24 AM

Quote:
So the the fact an innocent white male was acquitted proves white supremacy “reigns supreme” in our justice system?
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So the the fact an innocent white male was acquitted proves white supremacy “reigns supreme” in our justice system?
He wasn't innocent. He murdered two men and attempted to murder a third. It was not self defense as so many try to scream. So, yes, this verdict proves that White individual get away with heinous acts. The justice system is racist and this proves that.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
He wasn't innocent. He murdered two men and attempted to murder a third. It was not self defense as so many try to scream. So, yes, this verdict proves that White individual get away with heinous acts. The justice system is racist and this proves that.
Again what makes you think he isnt innocent? It is legal to kill in self defense.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Again what makes you think he isnt innocent? It is legal to kill in self defense.
It wasn't self defense. It's pointless to keep going back and forth. Rittenhouse supporters continually scream about it being self defense when it was not. He's a murderer that got off due to a bias judge and a system that helps white men and woman who commit heinous acts.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery - November 21st 2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
This is not the first time a white man has gotten away with killing people, with killing religious minorities, with killing persons of color, with killing anyone who isn't neurotypical. This has been happening for years, going back decades not just recent times. It's so important to stay educated and keep an open mind, get analytical, ask yourself "why are these people doing this? is it for the greater good? who is it hurting?"

Scum like Kyle Rittenhouse are hurting religious minorities, persons of color, the neurodivergent — and they've fucking never done anything wrong. These population groups just want to belong in this cruel world overrun by white male supremacists who think it's ok to pull out a gun and start shooting in the name of supposed self-defense.
Closed Thread