TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Money This forum is for support with financial issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Unhappy 'Walking on egg shells' - September 29th 2017, 07:22 PM

I am having finanical trouble. Period. I work at a part-time job where the hours are all over the place, but I recieve my schedule two weeks in advance and I plan around those hours to what I make. Sometimes, I am able to pick up shifts from co-workers or be asked if I want to work such a day, which increases my pay each week.

I get paid weekly.

I have been they're a total of two months. So, I have recieved 8 pay periods. If you take my YTD 1,354.39 that is what I have made. Times that by 2 (8 weeks is 2 months) I am only making $677.12 a month.

I have expenses. These expenses are ridiculous.

I live with family and they are charging me $600 in rent (a room in my city ranges from $400-$500) and September I was unable to pay rent. How was my rent paid? The same person who is funding my education, her friend.

I also have storage which $160 a month. I want to downsize it and move storages. I am unable to as they have broke the lock and I no longer have access to my things. I am paying them until it is paid off so they won't sell my storage. This is the most horrific thing possible as I have documents in there and I am trying to save my damn stuff and I am struggling.

On average a person spends $200-$400 a month on food. I have cut costs in this area as possible.

I have a dog, I am actually going to a pet store on their cost effective dog food as their bags range from $12-$19 and the bags I get my dog are basically $30.

On top of that, I kept ignoring numbers and this morning I answered. My student loan is almost being sent to collections so there I am, figuring this out to make $160 payments each month to it. Here I am writing post-dated checks to them.

I know minium wage here is increasing to $14 dollars in January and there is a small increase of .20 cents next week... but this entire thing, no matter what sucks.

I am in College, it is online (basically failing a course and trying to save myself from failing) and working part-time, it's almost like I need another job.

The weird part of this, my cousin is asking me to send her my pay as I am unable to pay rent, I need to show it. I find it intrusive and I refuse to tell her about these other things because it's none of her business. I am close to going back to my manager and telling her I accept the full time position (I was asked yesterday, I declined saying, I don't mind 40 hours here and there but not all the time).

I feel I am drowning in my own misery of bills that I can not stop. Bursaries aren't given out till end of October and then I would refuse to tell my cousin about. I feel I am living this stupid 'walking on egg shells with money' with her.

I really do not know what to do anymore. I have kept this to myself for a very long time. I have been suggested to go to credit counseling and I haven't or know if i want to.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: 'Walking on egg shells' - September 30th 2017, 02:14 AM

I don't know how student loans work in Canada, but I put mine on an income-based repayment plan so my payments are Zero every month without having to actually pay anything, and if you do make enough to pay them, there's a limit to the percentage of your income they can charge you. The interest is still accruing, but the $0.00 count as me making payments and count against my eventual forgiveness and it keeps me out of default.

See if you can negotiate with the storage. Since they broke the lock and you don't have access to your own things, and are considering changing companies anyway, I would tell them that and say that you at least want your documents out of there. It might not make a difference, but it's worth a shot. Sometimes if they feel like they'll lose your business, they're willing to be more flexible.

Don't tell your cousin anything, it's none of her business, unless your living with her and she wants proof that you can't pay her the rent, and even then it just seems very rude. It also might be cheaper for you to move out unless that would mean extra expenses that you don't pay now. And talk to your manager about the full-time, it might be off the table or offered to someone else but, you won't know unless you ask.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread