TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - June 26th 2013, 07:03 AM

Hey there.

First let me start by saying my hair is extremely thick. It's not too oily, not too dry. It's not straight, not wavy. It's about down to my shoulder blades or so. It's quite healthy, if I say so myself. I've taken much better care of it than I used to. The thing is I really want it to grow. When I trim it, it's almost as if there's no difference than the last trim. My question is what are some affordable ways to really strengthen and replenish my hair so that I can wait longer to trim and not have to worry about split ends? Vitamins, oils, certain things to look for in shampoos/conditioners, etc.? I do use Moroccan argan oil. It's amazing. But I'm just wondering how I can really help it stay healthy and actually grow.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - June 26th 2013, 04:55 PM

Hey There Bluebird,

I myself have thick hair as well. I don't go for shampoo products or hair products, I do however use Head and Shoulders shampoo.

I found, every maybe 2-3 months I would go and get my hair cut. Sometimes just a trim. But I go to get it thinned, so it's more manageable than it being overally thick. I can do more with it, it looks better.

It may help when you do grow it more, what you picture yourself you want out of a hair style since you would have more choices to pick from, since it's longer.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - June 26th 2013, 06:16 PM

Using aloe vera gel as a conditioner, and rinsing your hair with cold water helps make it really shiny

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - July 3rd 2013, 06:47 PM

I use a leave in conditioner and morrocan oil. Plus I occasionally trim a few split ends, like i'll take pieces of my hair and look for the split ends and just cut those pieces off. It's pretty useful actually. Just don't do to many at once. I've been doing that recently cause I don't want to cut my hair, I am trying to grow it long enough that I can finally take drastic measures to cut out my layers (like levelling them out over 2-3 hair cuts) and still have my hair be mid back length... So you can't even tell. It'll save you money and it'll save you a cut if you just remove your split ends as they appear. It can only be temporary though, but it might save you time between cuts.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - July 4th 2013, 11:12 AM

Quick reminder: Don't wash your hair every day! This can actually damage it. So, use a conditioner every day to help it with these other tips, but wash it every other day. This will help your hair and save you money on shampoo!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Affordable ways to keep hair healthy? - July 12th 2013, 09:46 PM

I hate it when I don't realize when my threads get answered. >.>
I know not to wash my hair every day I normally... will go 2 days, 3 days... Around 4 days I'm like ew ew ew ew I need to wash this. Ew. And I drown my hair in conditioner. I absolutely drench it. Which... is helping. My hair doesn't feel too oily or weighted down by all the conditioner I put in it and my hair is still soft two days after I washed it. I don't think I'm gonna be able to trim it anytime soon... not that it needs it. It really doesn't. I was thinking, because I usually go two months in between trims... if it didn't need a trim, maybe 3 1/2 to 4 months in between trims? Because I'm not trying to just maintain it, I'm trying to grow it out... I don't know. I really need to get rid of my bulky ends, which come from trimming straight across... and a layer in the front makes the taper look nonexistent. I have to get that fixed >.> Idk.

Closed Thread