TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

What volume developer should I use? - May 16th 2014, 10:11 AM

I am dying my hair for the first time (really excired!). I am planning to dip dye them using majicontrast red. My natural hair colour is darkest brown. Which would be a base 2, I think? I want a very bright red that will be visible from far away. I am going to dye it at home to save money. I'll take my mother's help who has been colouring her greys on her own for years. Soooooo, what volume developer should I use?

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What volume developer should I use? - May 18th 2014, 10:16 PM

It's been awhile since I used a developer, but here is a handy chart I found:

Source: http://www.hairfinder.com/tips/haircolor_level.htm

As you can see from the chart, each volume typically shows how many shades lighter it will take you. You have a couple options, you can pick a high volume peroxide and get your hair lighter in just one step, however that will be pretty damaging on your hair (of course, trimming the ends and doing a deep condition after can really help). Another option is to use a less-harsh developer twice in order to get to a blonde color. I would use the second developer at least 2 weeks after the first one. This will be less damaging on your hair, but will take longer.
Either way, you should try and put some time in-between when you lighten your hair and when you dye it bright red if you are going to use a normal box dye. 2 weeks is a good idea, but one week can be sufficient if you don't want to be patient.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread