TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rudnet Offline
~Junoon~
Junior TeenHelper

Blow drying hair...? - August 28th 2009, 11:51 AM

So I just got a new hair-cut (the Victoria Beckham bob) and it stayed that way till two washes. But now it just curls outwards. So I have to blow-dry it after every wash.

But from what everyone tells me, blow-drying frequently can cause the hair to become dry. Is it true?

And if it is, what is an alternative way to keep my hair straight?
  Send a message via Yahoo to Rudnet  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Blow drying hair...? - August 28th 2009, 12:42 PM

Hey, you could always just leave your hair to dry naturally and then straighten it if you want to go out somewhere. You might want to invest in some good heat protection spray; it will protect your hair from the heat of the hairdryer or from the straighteners.

PM // VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Blow drying hair...? - August 28th 2009, 02:51 PM

Well, i used to blow dry my hair after every single wash, and oh yes i am now paying for it. I have a huge chunk of very dry and brittle hair. My roots are okay, it's just everything from there downwards is dry. EW. I used to use heat protection and tons of conditioning treatments as well; so this just confirms the fact that no amount of products can save you from the heat of the hairdrier!

If you want the ends to be straight, use a CERAMIC and ionic hair straightener. Just use it on the ends, and conditon your hair daily. Other than that; leave it natural. Natural is beautiful

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rudnet Offline
~Junoon~
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Blow drying hair...? - August 28th 2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks! Now I know not to blow dry my hair :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to Rudnet  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Blow drying hair...? - August 29th 2009, 12:43 AM

Just let it dry naturally, then use a straightener. You may also need some hair spray or cream before using the straightener to keep it from burning.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fishie Offline
Time of My Life
Average Joe

Name: April

Re: Blow drying hair...? - September 1st 2009, 02:49 AM

You can blow dry your hair you just don't need to use it on the hottest setting. If your hair is healthy to begin with use heat protection spray from the start, while its wet then towel dry your hair a little then blow it dry. Always use heat protector it really does save your hair, even tho stated above that it didn't work, she may have had the settings up to high, as for a flat iron keep it at the lowest setting that your hair will straiten at, not the highest it goes.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Acerbated Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Niki

Re: Blow drying hair...? - September 3rd 2009, 03:46 AM

Whenever I blow dry my hair, I always make sure my hair is damp, not wet, and only blow dry it to a point where it's mostly dry, not completely dry, then let it be for fifteen minutes before I straighten [I have curly hair, I need both]. I use my blow drier on it's hottest setting, but I have heat protectant so it's not too horrible on my hair, I also use a deep conditioner once a week. Heat protectant will help your hair, you just have to make sure you have full even coverage and that you don't buy the cheapest stuff out there [sure you'll save money, but at the expense of your hair].

Other than that, you could just flat iron your ends so that they straighten out, easiest way to fix flip-out in one swipe with a straightener is to clamp the hair then when you pull the straightener down horizontally: angle the hair so it looks as if it would flip inwards. You might get a slight flip in but if your hair naturally flips out it'll correct it if you leave it for a few minutes.

Every time I try to give up, a little voice called hope says "one more try"

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Blow drying hair...? - September 3rd 2009, 04:21 AM

Flat Iron.

Always get a heat protectant for your hair whenever you style it with heat. ALWAYS.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Hyde n Seek Offline
♥Ame♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matty

Re: Blow drying hair...? - September 7th 2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn x View Post
Hey, you could always just leave your hair to dry naturally and then straighten it if you want to go out somewhere. You might want to invest in some good heat protection spray; it will protect your hair from the heat of the hairdryer or from the straighteners.
Only problem with that is, heat protection does nothing for hair dryers. It merely runs off your wet hair.

My only suggestion is to get a straightening chemical from a professional hairdresser.
  Send a message via MSN to Hyde n Seek  
Closed Thread