TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 14th 2010, 08:59 PM

I love swimming. But I also love my hair. And swimming is really drying my hair out and stripping the colour out of it (I have to get a semi-perminant dye every few months as I had it stripped to get rid of the red last year).

Any way to stop this? I've just been leaving the conditioner in a bit longer and doing moisturising treatments. I know there is special swimming shampoo but that will strip the colour more... any tips?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jellyfish Offline
No Rest For The Wicked
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 14th 2010, 09:11 PM

Wear a swim cap?
The should be some kind of protecting spray out there somewhere, I know I've read about it in magazines.
I dont think theres much more choice other than that!

She flies with her
own wings

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 14th 2010, 09:13 PM

Hmm from childhood I remember swim caps to be methods of torture that did not keep your hair dry only made you more streamline so you could swim faster... maybe I will give it another go though

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 16th 2010, 04:34 PM

swim cap is definitely a good idea. i used to put some talcum powder into the cap before i put it on.. works well.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 16th 2010, 05:31 PM

Swim caps can actually hurt your head as well as pull at your hair and cause split ends. Get a nylon swim cap and put that on underneath the silicon cap and that'll help solve that problem.
Also, buy some swim shampoo. Check your local sports stores or swimwear stores and you should be able to find some. Try Malibu or Summer Solutions. Both are great brands (I use them, Malibu is my absolute favorite) and don't really strip the color - my hair is colored too, and I haven't had problems with either one yet.
If you want, you can try washing with the swim shampoo, and then wash again with your regular shampoo and conditioner. I've had pretty good results with that.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 16th 2010, 05:43 PM

My flat mate uses a dove conditioner to help after swimming, it does wonders for her.
I wouldn't get a special shampoo, regular ones are acidic enough, but a deeper conditioner could work, or perhaps a hair mask or hot oil treatment once a week.
I'd recommend talking to a hairdresser as well [:

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 21st 2010, 12:49 PM

I've decided to give up swimming because as much as I like it, my hair is pretty much the only part of myself that I like so I don't want to sacrifice it. I was too paranoid to wear a swimcap. Maybe if I only go once a week it will be okay.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 22nd 2010, 06:02 AM

There's no reason to give it up. I've been swimming since I was 5, and I assure you wearing a swim cap is not going to ruin it. If you're afraid of that, wear a nylon cap underneath the silicone cap - it keeps the hair from tearing.
And like I said, if you wash with the swim shampoo and then wash with your normal color-treatment shampoo right afterwards, it'll be fine. Trust me, I've never had any problems with swim shampoo messing with my hair color.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#9 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 22nd 2010, 09:33 AM

I think its really silly to give up swimming because of your hair. Swimming keeps you healthy, mentally and physically. Just shell out some more money for specific anti-chlorine shampoo and conditioner. To be honest, if you're going to dye your hair there is always going to be complications.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - February 22nd 2010, 10:52 PM

After each swim soak your hair in warm water with sea salt, or rub olive oil in it from the ends up and leave it in for about 5 minutes then rinse. You should also use hot oil treatments that you can buy at any local drug store or target whatnot. V05 does the trick! Also make sure to condition your hair at the times you wash it and use a leave in conditioner on your hair every couple days. And hey, take a break from swimming every once in a while to let your hair replenish. You don't have to stop swimming to get great hair, but just don't do it like every day and you'll be fine =) Oh, and get as MUCH protein as you possibly can. Some girls even crack eggs over their heads in the shower!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - March 1st 2010, 12:07 AM

Thank you for the advice people. I'm thinking about what to do. Maybe if I do all these things and go less? Or just do breaststroke and keep my hair dry..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting on the speaker View Post
I think its really silly to give up swimming because of your hair. Swimming keeps you healthy, mentally and physically. Just shell out some more money for specific anti-chlorine shampoo and conditioner. To be honest, if you're going to dye your hair there is always going to be complications.
I know it does sound a bit silly/pathetic, but my hair is the only thing I like about myself. I'm not prepared to sacrifice the one thing that can make me feel okay about myself. I don't think I can really explain it, but when I can wear my hair down and it looks nice then I have a shot at feeling confident, y'know? I don't want to lose that and I don't think that swimming is worth it.

I have to dye my hair because of having my old colour stripped out, it's not something I have a choice about, I have it done semi-perminantly so that eventually I won't have to get it done, but until the orange grows out this is the only option I have. I really enjoyed having bright red hair but in hindsight it might not have been worth it!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; March 1st 2010 at 12:35 AM.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Elizabeth Offline
Just keep swimming!
I've been here a while

Name: Elizabeth

Re: How to stop swimming from ruining my hair - March 1st 2010, 01:48 AM

I'm a swimmer and I have long hair. I swim for two to three hours everyday. Swim caps won't help.
I would recommend Mane 'n Tail Shampoo and Conditioner. I also use the Mane 'n Tail Detangler once I've showered. Before I swim, I use ion swimmer's leave-in conditioner. My hair is strong and healthy.

Closed Thread