TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

HELP! (Hair extensions and near-bald spots) - March 16th 2011, 04:09 PM

Hello, all! I'm coming at you today with a question regarding thinning/near-balding areas due to hair extensions. I realize that I posted a question about this a little over a year ago, at which point I suddenly realized that my clip-in hair extensions were causing thinness in the areas behind my ears--and for whatever reason, I let go of those worries...that is, until now. Approximately two months ago, I noticed that the regions behind my ears had thinned out considerably--with a near-bald-ish region right behind my right ear. Needless to say--given my obsessive-compulsive disposition, I completely flipped out, removed the extensions, got a haircut, and visited both a general practitioner and a dermatologist at my college (USC--so, it can be assumed that they're relatively knowledge peeps). Both professionals assured me that the hair should restore itself in time, and that they didn't observe any irreversible damage (if you're familiar with tension alopecia, the hair loss tends to become permanent when there's severe scarring to the hair follicle(s)). I have my hair cut in a "bob", and seeing as how my hair is much thinner than it would be otherwise (although it has gotten significantly better!), I loosely wear a few clip-ins to give it fullness (mind you, I don't apply them anywhere near where I experienced the hair loss--and I only wear them out so that I don't feel so abnormal :/). Anywho, seeing as how it's been a couple of months now, it does appear that those areas have thickened up quite a bit--but nevertheless, it seems to be slow growing back in (there are thin peach-fuzz looking hairs on the right side--but they seem to be getting progressively thicker). I take an exorbitant amount of biotin daily, as well as an iron capsule--and occasionally, a prenatal vitamin. I've also made an effort to eat better, as well. In any case, my question(s) are: Have any of you experienced this before? And if so, how long does it take for the hair to completely grow back? Should I be worried? I'm still kinddaaa freaking out

I apologize for the lengthy post--I had to provide some sort of context, though.

Oh, and I wore extensions (clip-ins, mind you) for about two years prior to this trauma.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: HELP! (Hair extensions and near-bald spots) - March 16th 2011, 04:45 PM

Everyone's hair grows back at different rates.

But continuing to wear extensions is pretty much asking for the same thing to happen in a different spot.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: HELP! (Hair extensions and near-bald spots) - March 16th 2011, 06:25 PM

Hi there I surely hope so--and in regards to the other extensions, trust me, I'm keeping an eye on 'em (and as said, I only apply them when I'm out--otherwise, I'm all natural).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
charmbraceletxo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: HELP! (Hair extensions and near-bald spots) - March 16th 2011, 11:38 PM

Any other input? Am I the only one in this predicament?

Closed Thread