TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 18th 2011, 08:07 PM

Okay so I had tried to grow my hair several years ago and it just got a bit out of control, so I lost interest with it, and got it cut, into a bob. I wasnt particularly interested in anything girlie or hair back then.

Now I've decided, that I'm a bit older, and more interested in my appearance, I would like to try again! Its at that messy, awkward middle of the road stage right now. I need to wash it everyday at the moment, which I know isnt particularly good for it either, or it gets really greasy and icky. And I have a fringe which is outta control that I'm not sure what to do with.

Please help me....can anyone recommend me a decent shampoo, style tips...Anything?
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 18th 2011, 10:00 PM

Eggs make your hair grow. The nutrients in it really help. Google "Nutrients that help hair growth" and you'll find about a million different things that help. Vitamin D or C, Iron, they recomend everything.

Try curling/straightening your hair too. With this as you put it "Akward in between" stage you might find curling or straightening it can help.

Overall you can only wait.

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 18th 2011, 10:23 PM

My hair finally passed the barrier from awkward medium to plain medium/long, and I'll tell you that it felt like forever. To deal with the awkward length, I put my hair in a bun or ponytail every day. Even when your hair isn't that long, you can do some fun and cute stuff with it. Try looking up some videos on YouTube that have updos for short and medium hair. Try to avoid heat at all costs, whether it be blow-drying, curling, or straightening because, even with a heat protector, it will damage your hair. For your fringe, you should try asking a hairstylist about ideas. I, personally, am growing out my fringe with the rest of my hair and I found that just bobby-pinning it back worked nicely for when it just looked weird.

As far as shampoos and styling and whatever go, I definitely have some tips. I've had my hair long to the point I had to move it to keep from sitting on it a few times and have had hair short enough that I looked like a guy from the back and have gone through shampoos for anywhere from $2-$40. I cut and color my own hair and am generally a nut about everything hair-related, so I definitely know a good amount about hair products.

For shampooing, I've found cheaper ones work best for me. I've had a lot of luck with Garnier Fructis' 100% Pure Clean shampoo and John Frieda's Root Awakening shampoo for breakage-prone hair. I, like you, used to have to shower daily because my hair got so gross, but these shampoos have done a really great job combating my oil so I can go one or two days without showering.

You need to invest in a good conditioner and condition properly or your hair will look silly, though. When I say invest, I don't mean you need to spend a lot of money, but definitely try some higher-end products. Hair Rules' Quench Conditioner is possibly my favorite conditioner ever, though it's around $22 for a bottle, I think. I've also had great results with Dove's Intense Damage Daily Therapy Conditioner and L'Oreal's EverStrong Reconstructing conditioner, both of which are on the cheaper side and still work wonderfully. Only condition the hair from the bottom of your ears down-- nothing else. Don't condition your scalp because it doesn't need the extra moisture since your natural oils are already there.

Get three decent brushes: one that's a paddle with synthetic/nylon bristles that are decently spread out (you can fit your pinky between the bristles), one boar bristle and nylon mix (if you have thick, coarse, or a lot of hair), and one 100% boar bristle brush. I use my paddle brush with all synthetic bristles in the morning and before I shower to get any shedded hairs out. I follow that up with my nylon/boar bristle mix to not only detangle, but also to spread the natural oils from my scalp down to the tips of my hair. On days where I don't shower, I use my pure boar bristle brush to help spread the oils, though I have to brush in a lot of sections because my hair is so thick. I choose to use the one without the nylon in it for these days because nylon and boar bristle combinations can be a bit harsh on hair if used too much.

Also, never ever brush or comb your hair if it's wet. If you absolutely must, use a wide-toothed comb when you've dried your hair for as long as you can afford. Your hair is at its weakest state when it's wet, so try to be very, very gentle with it. Treat your hair like a piece of lace and take care of it appropriately.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 19th 2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
Eggs make your hair grow. The nutrients in it really help. Google "Nutrients that help hair growth" and you'll find about a million different things that help. Vitamin D or C, Iron, they recomend everything.

Try curling/straightening your hair too. With this as you put it "Akward in between" stage you might find curling or straightening it can help.

Overall you can only wait.
You shouldn't really do much heat processing at all if you're trying to get your hair to grow. It can damage your hair and cause split ends, ultimately making your hair break off and get shorter, rather than grow longer.

Biotin and prenatal vitamins will help your hair grow.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Re: Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 20th 2011, 09:10 PM

I'm using a couple different supplements, and I use a mixture of egg, avocado, and lemon juice because I'm also trying to lighten my hair. Just Google natural ways to take care of your hair or something.(= No heat either.

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Trying To Grow My Hair.... - May 20th 2011, 09:47 PM

I've got long hair, and I just keep growing it longer. The best thing to do, is get a trim every 1-3 months (depending on how easily you get split ends). When you get the split ends trimmed, your hair grows better, and won't split while you're working on growing it.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread