TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Hair dye questions. - November 6th 2011, 11:09 PM

Okay, I have a couple of questions that are related.

First one: I have been dying part of my hair dark blue on and off for a few years now, and recently started doing dark purple as well. I have like medium/dark brown hair, and I do not ever plan to bleach my hair. I have been using Manic Panic, and it has been great. But I'm starting to get tired of it and I feel like trying something new. So my question is, what brand would you guys recommend to switch to that has a dark blue color? I have looked at a few, but I have no clue if they are good or not. Also I live in the US, so I would really like US brands of hair dye.

Second: I am also getting kind of tired of just blue and purple hair, and want to try a new color. I am thinking like a dark red on my tips, but I'm not sure yet. I haven't decided what could be a fun new color for me to try. Once again, I am not willing to bleach my hair. And I would only be dying part of my hair this color, not my whole head. So what do you guys think? Should I try like red or green, or some other color. Or just stick with blue and purple?

Third: This one is just cause, do you have any tips on how to make the color stay longer? Any suggestions of different things to try? I'm always look for new tips, and would love some new one.

Thanks! Also if it helps at all, I can post some pictures of my blue and purple hair.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 7th 2011, 05:05 PM

Kitty.

First: For most hair dyes, they want you to bleach your hair. I used RAW and they wanted me to bleach mine; however, my hair was black then. You could try RAW hair dye and see how you like it. It comes in a really pretty blue color and can be found at Hot Topic. It definitely lasted a long time on my hair.

Second: It can be hard to know what would look really good, so don't be afraid to experiment with colors. You could try dying the underside of your hair pink or even putting in pink streaks. I personally like pink as a hair color and a color in general.

Third: Use color protectant shampoo (Garnier Fructis and L'oreal are both great brands) and wash your hair every other day. Don't let your hair be in the sun for long periods. Don't use a curling iron or straightening iron on it either.

Take care,
Kitty.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 7th 2011, 05:47 PM

Green probably wouldnt dye too well over brown. Red would look good, i think. I can't remember the brand of the dye I'm thinking of, but in Walmart with the rest of the hair dye, its usually on the top shelf, and they have red, blue, pink, and maybe other colors. Sorry that I can't remember the name

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 8th 2011, 02:37 AM

Hey Sarah,

I can recommend you a brand I use, Special Effects. It lasts A LOT longer than Manic Panic, for one. In fact, it lasts longer than Manic Panic, Directions, Punky Colours, and Splat. I've tried various brands, and have had the best results, by far, with Special Effects.

However, if you want your colour to last longer, bleaching would be the best (and well, only foolproof) option. Other than that, you can try colour-safe shampoos, and using cooler water (lukewarm or colder) to wash your hair.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bubbly751 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 8th 2011, 02:54 AM

I generally use splat brand, it comes with bleach but I've dyed (blue, purple and pink) without bleaching and it worked fine (I have dark brown hair). Splat even has a trio pack that comes with blue, purple, and red.

Feel free to PM or VM me

Sh free since 7/10/16

I've been here for 3 years and counting!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 8th 2011, 03:11 AM

Alright... The one I'm thinking of is made by L'Oreal.. That's the only progress I've made with coming up with the name

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 9th 2011, 02:51 AM

Red is a tough color to keep, just a warning. Its the fastest fading color. I wouldn't go with green, I don't think it would go well over brown hair. I like Kitty's idea of pink, pink is a cute hair color

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 9th 2011, 09:56 AM

Like it was said before, a lot of hair dyes suggest you dye your hair first... For crazy colors, Splat it s good one =) I used Garnier Fructis for my red hair and it was the kind that is made to dye from brown to red, so I didn't have to bleach it =)

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Hair dye questions. - November 10th 2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMallyPrydexX View Post
Like it was said before, a lot of hair dyes suggest you dye your hair first... For crazy colors, Splat it s good one =) I used Garnier Fructis for my red hair and it was the kind that is made to dye from brown to red, so I didn't have to bleach it =)
From my experiances with splat, the purple die doesn't dye your hair purple. It made mine a magenta color, however I used their blue and it did dye my hair blue.
I love Garnier Fructis Color Shield. I use it for my red hair and it definitely has kept it from fading.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread