TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sinner Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 23rd 2012, 02:31 AM

So, my hair is sort of a medium brown with some natural highlights. I have VERY healthy hair and I'd like to keep it that way. I intend to get highlights tomorrow, so it'd be great if this question could be answered ASAP.
I want something like this.

The lady at the salon said she thinks a frosting cap (which uses bleach) will be perfect for this.. I have never high lighted or dyed my hair, and on Tuesday I start my first day at a new school, so this is very important to me that it be done correctly.
What do you guys know about highlights? I always thought they put in specific colors..but she said I would just need it bleached through a frosting cap. I do NOT want streaky looking hair. SO what do I need to do?

Last edited by Sinner; January 23rd 2012 at 02:41 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 23rd 2012, 03:33 AM

All you need to do is trust your stylist. She went to school for this, and knows what she is doing. Make it clear that you don't want your hair to look streaky, then sit back and watch the magic happen. I don't know much about highlights, but I think if you want the looks in these pictures, the cap is the best way to go instead of foiling. Foiling the hair to do high lights might make the streaks look really large, instead of just small, natural looking highlights.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 23rd 2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelophobia View Post
Foiling the hair to do high lights might make the streaks look really large, instead of just small, natural looking highlights.
It actually makes the colors stand out more because the aluminum helps retain the heat which processes the color. So don't get a foil if you don't want a streaky look.
A frosting cap will work, and I'd trust your stylist on this. They went to school to learn how to do processes such as this, and if they mess up they will fix it for free.
Bring in those pictures as a reference too.

Here is an article about highlighting with a frosting cap: http://www.hairfinder.com/tips/highlighting-cap.htm

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sinner Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 23rd 2012, 04:16 AM

So bleaching is the right thing to use? I don't want a totally washed out color, or damaged hair. And once I get this done, will I need to use a special shampoo or anything like that?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 23rd 2012, 09:32 PM

You could buy a shampoo that helps keep color in longer. Like Herbal Essences has shampoo's specific for something like this, but no, you don't really need to use a special shampoo. However, we're not hair stylists, and like we said before, you just need to trust that your stylist knows what he/she is doing. They went to school for this, and they know what they are doing. If they screw up, they'll fix it for free.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Hair Highlights (somewhat urgent) - January 24th 2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
So bleaching is the right thing to use? I don't want a totally washed out color, or damaged hair. And once I get this done, will I need to use a special shampoo or anything like that?
You don't necessarily need to use bleach. Blonde tends to stay very well, its when you go darker that it can fade when you shower. As Shannon said, you can get a shampoo and conditioner made for color treated hair. Garnier's Color Shield is one I like.
But I used to be blonde and whenever I got highlights I continued to use whatever shampoo I wanted and it always stayed in. You just have to get it touched up every once in awhile (for me I waited around 4-6 months).

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread