TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

How to keep long hair healthy? - April 10th 2012, 01:45 AM

So I've grown my hair down to about the lower half of my back (which is already pretty long) I love it but I want it to stay as healthy as it is now while it grows some more. I see many girls with long hair get dull and unhealthy and I do not want that to happen. I get it trimmed and only use certain products and I don't straighten it everyday but are there any vitamins I can take to keep it healthy? I take biotin but it doesn't seem to do much.

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 10th 2012, 02:57 AM

I thought this was an excellent question, so I did some research for you Turns out vitamins that are good for hair include:
  • Vitamin E
  • Niacin
  • Biotin
  • Vitamin B6
  • Inositol
  • Vitamin A
Click Here to see the rest of the article, it goes a bit in depth about each vitamin and how it helps.
Some extra advice I have to offer is to deep condition your hair once a week and change up the type of shampoo each time you run out- hair can get used to the ingredients and it will stop working as well. Shampoos with harsh sulfates can also cause your hair to look dull, so I usually find that organic brands make my hair shinier. I wouldn't use Pantene either, they put lots of wax in their products which can weigh your hair down.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 10th 2012, 03:06 AM

Oh my gosh!!! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 10th 2012, 01:17 PM

Hey there! The link Nicole gave you is really great

I would say the make sure you condition your hair often, paying particular attention to the ends of your hair. Seeing as it's so long, the bottom of your hair is probably about 5-6 years old. Crazy right? Conditioning it will give it that shine you're looking for. I'd recommend using a brand like Burts Bee's or Simple. They both use natural ingredients and avoid harsh chemicals. Plus they smell absolutely gorgeous

Also, using products like heat defence serums will help to prevent split ends damaged hair. Ever since I started using heat defence my hair seems so much easier to work with and it looks so much more healthy. I use L'Oreal Paris, Studio HotStraight Spray

I love it and it works wonders.

Also, try to avoid dying your hair. This strips it of the vitamins and makes hair really dry.

I hope this helps a little bit

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 10th 2012, 01:36 PM

Try getting a hair cut ever 6 weeks. Use enriching shampoo. Definitely no dyes or straightening

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 11th 2012, 02:34 AM

Thank so much, all of you. I do use a heat protection spray by TRESemme but i will definitely have to try the protection spray that you suggested Charlotte.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Susan G Brown Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 14th 2012, 08:30 AM

A long healthy hair is beautiful. Often it becomes an envy of many. Of course, will never envy someone wearing a hair shiny, black, and long swings with each gust of wind? It's a good thing, you can also have this kind of hair, if you want to present. In fact, not been challenged now to find the secret to success here.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 14th 2012, 04:30 PM

Although I'm a guy, my hair is already shoulder length, so I'd say my opinion is as good as any...

Try only washing it 6 days a week if you can. I find it's rough on my hair to wash it every single day. \

Also, I've heard certain foods help keep hair healthy, although you might want to further research that.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
Average Joe

Re: How to keep long hair healthy? - April 18th 2012, 05:15 AM

Justin, I agree your opinion is very much appreciated and helpful, as is everyone else who replied. Susan, it's definitely been a challenge maintaining it. I'm not sure how it's grown so fast, besides biotin which I never really thought helped any, I haven't taken any hair growth supplements or had anything done to it to help it grow faster. I definitely think certain foods play a role because one reason I think I've been fortunate to have my hair grow so quickly and thick is my diet, which is vegan, so I'm assuming vegetables play a big role in aiding in hair growth. But, thanks again for all the great replies!

Closed Thread