TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Ears Pierced Properly - January 31st 2015, 02:14 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm about to leave to go get my ears pierced, properly this time. I had them first pierced when I was 10. Since then they've closed up and I've done them again myself twice by just forcing an earring through where the hole used to be. I contacted a local place to ask if they'd be able to do this for me or if I might have screwed my chances by doing it on my own in the past. They said it's okay, their piercer will look at the scar tissue that's there and if needs be can just make a fresh hole next to the closed up ones. Aside from being super nervous because of the whole needle thing, I realise that I don't know anything about piercing care. Which is where you come in.
I know the piercer will answer my questions but I'll forget the entire experience. (When I was ten all I can remember of the whole thing is the woman being freaked out that I was so quiet, asking if I wanted to say anything and then me going "Ouch." and thinking "Why did I say that? That didn't hurt.)
So that I have it written down somewhere, I'm going to ask here too. I can also add extra questions in a couple of days too which is better than calling this place up every time I think of something new.
  • How long do I need to leave the first pair of earrings in before I can change them?
  • Last time, my Godmother (who took me) had me turning the earrings every half an hour from the minute we walked out of the shop. Is that right? How often should I be doing this and how? All the way around, half turns, etc.
  • Last time I had this really foul smelling stuff that I had to rub into my earlobes where the earrings were. It was supposed to be done twice a day. What is it and how do I apply it/how often?
  • I can't sleep on my back, will I be able to lie on my ears tonight or should I put something over them?
  • What's the likelihood of my (shoudler length) hair getting tangled in the earrings? That sounds painful.
  • Can I still shower, wash my hair, and basically do everything else I do as normal?
  • Any other tips or advice?

Sorry about all the questions. I need to know exactly what I'm doing, how, when and why. I like to call it an inconvenient quirk.

Wish me luck!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - January 31st 2015, 02:40 PM

Hi there,

I would leave them in for six weeks after you get your ears pierced. For the first few months, stick to studs as opposed to drop or hoops.

Actually, there's some controversy around this. The point of turning them was this idea that the skin would heal around the hole and somehow graft itself onto the earring, which has since been proven false. I actually recommend spinning only one or two times per day, because you will irritate your ears.

I would use the solution once a day, just to keep the area clean. Think about it this way- it's an open wound, and it has to somehow heal while staying open. So it's important to keep the area very clean to avoid infection.

It really depends on what feels comfortable. You may feel some pain from the backs of the earrings pressing against your skin, but you can place some wax or tissue to soften it.

It's pretty high. My hair is down past my shoulder blades and it gets tangles every day when there's a gust of wind. It also happens when I try to make a ponytail. Just be careful and use your fingers to gently glide the hair out.

Yes, just try to avoid hair dyes or caustic irritating chemicals. Also, if straightening or curling your hair, be super careful not to burn the area. You can continue on as normal.

My only other suggestion is to make sure the earrings are 14 carat or stainless steel- not the cheap crap. Those metals may irritate your ears, and you definitely don't want that to happen right after you get them pierced.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - January 31st 2015, 04:22 PM

Hey! I don't have my ears pierced right now but I have other things pierced so hopefully I can answer most of your questions Louise

Quote:
How long do I need to leave the first pair of earrings in before I can change them?
From what I remember it's 6 weeks before you can change them but I would leave them in longer than that just to be sure.

Quote:
Last time, my Godmother (who took me) had me turning the earrings every half an hour from the minute we walked out of the shop. Is that right? How often should I be doing this and how? All the way around, half turns, etc.
This might differ with ear piercings because I got told to not turn any of my piercings (nose & nipples) since it just irritates the skin more when it's trying to heal. I'd double check this with the piercer when you go.

Quote:
Last time I had this really foul smelling stuff that I had to rub into my earlobes where the earrings were. It was supposed to be done twice a day. What is it and how do I apply it/how often?
When I first had my ears pierced years ago I got given cleaning solution as well and it was awful. With my piercings I was just told to clean them twice a day with saline solution (about 1/4 tsp sea salt to a cup of water) and if there was a lot of pus leaking then I could use a tiny bit of antiseptic on them.

Quote:
I can't sleep on my back, will I be able to lie on my ears tonight or should I put something over them?
This might differ with ears again but when I got my nipples pierced I couldn't sleep on my front for the first month of having them because it was painful. My nose didn't hurt when I was sleeping on my side though and I imagine ears are a lot less sensitive than nipples so I'd guess you'll be fine sleeping on them.

Quote:
What's the likelihood of my (shoudler length) hair getting tangled in the earrings? That sounds painful.
I'm assuming you're getting studs so I think it'd be pretty hard for your hair to get too tangled up in them.

Quote:
Can I still shower, wash my hair, and basically do everything else I do as normal?
You should be still fine to shower just try not to get too much shampoo around the ear lobe since it could be irritating. If you find that they're getting irritated after you shower you could try switching to a gentler shampoo like Johnsons baby shampoo until they've fully healed.

Quote:
Any other tips or advice?
Might be too late for you to get this if you're leaving soon but ALWAYS try to get titanium jewellery rather than surgical/stainless steel if you can. It's a lot better for newly pierced things and on the off chance you have a nickel allergy like me it won't cause you any problems.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - January 31st 2015, 04:26 PM

Heya

Yup, I'd say around 6 weeks, but I think I changed them in a couple of weeks - then again, I didn't have any problems with it and it healed almost instantly, even with my nose ring. To be honest, my pierced all the four holes in my ear, so I'm not really sure the types of instrument the piercer will use.

I wouldn't recommend turning them too often, either. Twice-ish a day should be okay. If you ear is crusting, though, with fluid (which will usually be the case) then just ensure that you clean it well so it doesn't crust around the earring because when you try to turn them, it will hurt even more. The reason that the earrings need to be turned is to ensure that the piercing is shaped well, basically.

I wish I could help you with the foul smelling stuff ( ) but I'd just say keep it clean and rubbing alcohol once a day helps is heal faster and keeps it disinfected. It will burn, but it's worked really well. Or salt water. So if you're visiting the beach, go take a dip in the water

A soft piece of cloth or microfiber tape works really well. I'd go with the microfiber tape mostly because then, no threads will be caught by your earrings. If you have one of those soft headbands they use when doing facials or applying make-up, that works really well, too - keep the ears in place, doesn't get mauled by the pillow if you're turning in your sleep and it's padding.

I haven't had too many times that my hair got caught in my earrings, to be honest, but if it does, be patient and gently use your fingers to detangle it.

Yes, you can, no worries about that. Hot water may sting your ears, but it will clean them too, but don't allow it to directly fall onto your ears - and by that, I mean when you're in the shower, it's perfectly alright, don't use very hot water to clean your ears. There's nothing to be concerned about, really (and keep antiseptic around - you'll be fine).

Have a great time getting them pierced!! Best of luck! xx

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - February 1st 2015, 03:08 AM

Quote:
How long do I need to leave the first pair of earrings in before I can change them?
I was always told 6-8 weeks.

Quote:
Last time, my Godmother (who took me) had me turning the earrings every half an hour from the minute we walked out of the shop. Is that right? How often should I be doing this and how? All the way around, half turns, etc.
I would ask the piercer. It can get irritating to do it often though so I'd say at max until you find out for certain, do 1-2 times.

Quote:
Last time I had this really foul smelling stuff that I had to rub into my earlobes where the earrings were. It was supposed to be done twice a day. What is it and how do I apply it/how often?
This one I'm not sure of, sorry!

Quote:
I can't sleep on my back, will I be able to lie on my ears tonight or should I put something over them?
My ears never hurt when I slept on my side. As long as yours aren't too painful I don't think you should have much of an issue.

Quote:
What's the likelihood of my (shoudler length) hair getting tangled in the earrings? That sounds painful.
It never really happened to me but if it does, be gentle. You can always try putting your hair up for a while if it's really windy out to avoid it.

Quote:
Can I still shower, wash my hair, and basically do everything else I do as normal?
Yep yep, do things as normal!

Quote:
Any other tips or advice?
Ummm. Hm. I know that for a while even after the 6-8 week mark was up I had to keep my earrings in even in my sleep so the holes wouldn't close. And also, while I and a lot of other people CAN wear fake earrings, some people can't, so if there's a material that you're allergic to definitely don't force yourself to wear that type of earring again. Or ouches happen. I remember that one time I wore these earrings I was allergic to and boy was it painful. I don't even know why I was allergic to them.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - February 1st 2015, 04:12 AM

Six weeks, but keep earrings in at all times for the first six months, so your holes don't close.

Do NOT rotate the earrings!! Don't touch them unless you're cleaning them! If you mess with them, you'll just be dragging all the gross stuff around inside the hole and it won't heal as easily.

Use a saline solution to clean them. The piercer should either give you one or tell you how to make it. If you do make it, only use sea salt, because table salt has iodine added in.

I wouldn't lay on them the first night, cause they'll be pretty sore, but you should be good to go after that.

I have gotten my hair tangled up in a new piercing, and while it hurts, it's okay. Best to keep you hair up and away from it until it's had a while to heal though.

Yes, shower and wash your hair. But don't get shampoo/conditioner on your new piercings, it can irritate them.

I've got my ears twice pierced and an industrial, so I've done this a lot, and I've done a lot of research, as I've considered becoming a piercing myself. As long as you take good care of it, you should be fine.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - February 1st 2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Orchard Ghost View Post

Do NOT rotate the earrings!! Don't touch them unless you're cleaning them! If you mess with them, you'll just be dragging all the gross stuff around inside the hole and it won't heal as easily.
This. Don't rotate them at all, it's unnecessary and can increase the healing time.
Also post a picture when you get it done so we can see your dazzling new bling.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - February 2nd 2015, 12:48 PM

So aside from the fact I'm somewhat traumatised that the place I went to does not use guns so I spent a few seconds sitting with a needle sticking through each ear.... it went alright. Don't think I'd do it again because I am beyond terrified of needles and wasn't expecting them to be used.

Anyway there has been zero pain so far! (The only pain was when said needles were in there and that stopped as soon as she replaced them with the earrings) I'm cleaning them religiously twice a day with saline solution and cotton buds and warm water finally got rid of the last of the purple ink she used to mark my ears.

The lady who did it (was absolutely brilliant with me) did say not to turn them because all it does is cause more pain and increase the healing time. Going by how amazing it's all gone (no pain, no discharge, absolutely no problems) I'm half tempted to say they're healed, although I do know that's impossible!

I'm now counting down till mid March when I put in other ones. I didn't get the choice on which earrings I wanted, she just put little silver balls in. Which are nice. But I want to wear my Harry Potter ones.

Thanks for the responses! Let me know if you have any other tips.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Ears Pierced Properly - February 2nd 2015, 05:54 PM

Needles are actually way better than guns. I know it seems scarier, but how does that loud crunch and a dullish earring being shot through your ear sound any better? Needles glide through the skin rather than being forced through like a piercing gun does. They tend to heal faster and are less prone to problems like infection or not healing properly.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread