TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Tattoos and Piercings (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f27-tattoos-piercings/)
-   -   Tattoo Pealing-How much is "normal?" (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f27-tattoos-piercings/t150410-tattoo-pealing-how-much-normal/)

Coffee. March 16th 2017 08:33 PM

Tattoo Pealing-How much is "normal?"

Hey'all,

I had my first session of my first tattoo last Saturday. It's a large-ish tattoo (quarter sleeve) with a lot of color and detail, so it has to be done in a 2-3 sessions. I'll post pictures once it's complete ;) Stay tuned.

However, it's been pealing A LOT. Like, as much as a sunburn, including flakes of color. This freaked me out; I knew it would scab and peal a bit, but not as much as it has. I've resisted picking at it in any way and I've continued to wash it and put small amounts of lotion as directed by my artist. It's definitely not infected-no pain or swelling, just flaky and itchy like a sun burn.

So...sound normal? :p Just making sure. Google has given me split results like "A small amount of scabbing is normal" and I'm like well...it looks like my skin is molting like a lizard. Bahaha. Is THAT normal? :nosweat:

Ennui. March 16th 2017 09:02 PM

Re: Tattoo Pealing-How much is "normal?"

Some peeling definitely is normal, including peeling color. I peeled more with my mermaid than I did with my quote.

The sunburn thing, that's one of the ways I described my first tattoo as well, so you're definitely not alone in that regard either!

Since you're saying there's no pain or swelling you're probably fine, although you can always call the artist to double check if the amount worries you, but peeling in general is definitely normal, including the color. Definitely continue washing and lotioning as per the artist's directions. If you're wearing clothing over it that may cause some rubbing as well, so if possible perhaps try to leave it uncovered, but if it's not possible that's understandable too. My first one was on my leg and I was working at the time so I'd have to wear pants, but I'd switch over to shorts after work so it wouldn't rub, and also because summer. But since it's cold out where you are it's understandable if you need to wear long sleeves.

That being said, definitely avoid picking it like you've been doing as well. Let it peel and fall off naturally and it should be fine!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Eternal March 17th 2017 05:33 AM

I always peeled more than I thought I would with every tattoo I have! It's definitely like a sunburn and how they peel. It's totally normal for it to peel a lot, the whole top layer will be coming off of your tattoo and since it's big, there will be a lot of skin. Just do your best to leave it alone, touching it or peeling the skin yourself can lead to ink coming out. Keeping it very moisturized is really important at this stage, too.

Can't wait to see it!

DeletedAccount63 March 17th 2017 08:09 PM

Hey,
Peeling is normal with tattoos even peeling color. Since it isn't swollen or seem to be infected I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just remember do everything the tattoo artist told you to do about after care. I know for one of my tattoos I didn't really do what they said and it turned out a little weird. But if you are really worried I would suggest calling the place you got it done and asking them.