TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 16,425, Level: 18 Points: 16,425, Level: 18 Points: 16,425, Level: 18

do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 02:56 AM

I have 3 tattoos, only 2 are visible as they're on each of my wrists. I've been trying to get a job recently and in interviews things go great until they ask if i have tattoos, there's no point lying as they're on my wrists and sooner or later they will notice them but when they find out i might have well said i was a pedophile and i'm rushed out the interview.

They're not on my face, they're not offensive and does not stop me doing my job. I remember someone told me they wouldn't hire me incase a customer thought i was part of a gang because of my tattoos. Whats gang related about a bow & a peace sign?

Does anyone else get some sort of prejudice of their tattoos & piercings?

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 03:01 AM

A lot of businesses don't want to hire people with tattoos that are visible.

My mother would throw me out of the house if she knew about mine, and she says my piercings are gross.

People tend to be surprised when they find out about my tattoos, but I don't get treated differently because they're hidden virtually 98% of every single day.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 04:17 AM

I have 10 piercings and I have gotten shocked responses/looks when people find out how many piercings I have.
I've also been stared at a few times when people see my ear piercings. (5 in my left ear, 4 in my right)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15 Points: 11,157, Level: 15

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 09:39 PM

A lot of people do have a bit of an issue with my tattoos and piercings. I have 8 earrings on my left ear and 5 on my right ear. Both of my first holes are a size 6. And I've been working on a half sleeve, have a wrist tattoo, and one on my upper back/lower neck area.

I know where I work, they don't really mind too much. Because I'm a party attendant, some of the parents and family look at me weird, but I feel as if the way someone looks shouldn't dictate who that person is. Same with school. People used to automatically place me in with the misfits and the bad kids, when I'm actually an AP/Honors student who's going for an engineering degree. But, I made sure to get all of them, and in the future to get all of them, in a place that can easily be covered up.

But I really do hate being judged for them. It's art, not the devil reincarnated.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 09:56 PM

I have a lip piercing and a lot of older people have looked at me weird because it it. One guy at the airport said it was like I got hit with a bullet. I was like "...Yeeeah." Hahahaha.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 3rd 2011, 10:51 PM

I don't think they look trashy unless you go over bored with them. Many places won't hire you because you give a bad imagine to the company. Here you can’t work for the government if you have any kind of tattoos or piercings (for men) I wanted to get a tattoo not too long ago but one friend talked me out and he was right. Plus my parents would disown me and kick me out if they found out.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 4th 2011, 11:04 PM

All 7 of my piercings are on my ears so that hasn't been a problem and both of my tattoos are easily concealed (on the back of my shoulder and behind my ear). Most people think my tattoos are really cool so I get a little extra attention because of it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
thefirstlady Offline
Average Joe

Name: Morgan

Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14 Points: 9,423, Level: 14

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 4th 2011, 11:37 PM

I'm heavily tattooed, have 2 facial piercings, and stretched ears. Luckily I'm a tattoo artist, but I get treated very poorly by most people. Some people will comment on how beautiful my ink is, others will seriously pull their kids away from me walking around the mall or give me dirty looks. Even when I have a smile on my face walking around and I'm never rude to people.

Best part is, is that when people get to know me, they always comment on how nice and intelligent I am and how surprised they are because of how tattooed I am. Don't judge people by what they look like. All of the people I know that are heavily tattooed are some of the nicest, loyal people you will ever meet.

As for the comments above about how people with tattoos give businesses a bad image? Are you for real? I'm seriously offended by these comments whenever I hear them. I've never had problems with businesses or getting a job and I have full sleeves and tattoos on my knuckles. Same goes for all of my heavily tattooed friends. Sure some people are ignorant and automatically put a label/the stigma on you, but not as often as you would think. A lot of businesses now are a lot more liberal with tattoos and piercings because they are becoming so common.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 5th 2011, 06:58 PM

Around here, it depends on where you go. Usually, if you have piercings, they will hire you. However, some places will make you take out certain jewelry. My place of work, my earrings (I have 6 in each ear) and nose ring aren't an issue. One of the waitresses had pink streaks in her hair. My boss (in the kitchen) has numerous tattoos. But when my sister worked at McDonald's, they made her take out her nose stud every shift. The people who work at Tim Horton's (kind of like a Canadian version of Dunkin' Donuts, I guess) have had odd colours in their hair, facial piercings (including snakebites, lip, tongue, whatever else), so some places really aren't too strict on that.

Tattoos, well, I think it entirely depends. My one friend has a tattoo covering her lower arm, but she got it after she got her job. She recently lost that job, so I'm not sure how her job hunt is being affected by her tattoo. I have a tattoo, but it's hidden (it's around my hip/stomach area), so I can't speak from any personal experience.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Points: 18,873, Level: 19 Points: 18,873, Level: 19 Points: 18,873, Level: 19

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 5th 2011, 10:27 PM

Wow, I have NEVER come across this...I'm not heavily tattooed (I only have one for now, getting another soon) and I have 6 piercings... I hang out with really heavily tattooed and pierced people though. My friend has 1 +1/4 inch holes in his ears and they're scalpled so when he takes the rings out his holes are triangles haha. We have never been treated differently in public. After I got my ink everyone thought it was awesome...my teachers at school thought it was awesome, and i was in a class with a bunch of kids who weren't old enough yet and I was the most awesome kid ever. The first thing EVERYONE said was "OH MY GOSH DID IT HURT"
I've never had this problem..Hope it never happens. I'm going into a field of work where I'm working with young people all the time, and I've asked around and most places don't mind tattoos.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 10,763, Level: 15 Points: 10,763, Level: 15 Points: 10,763, Level: 15

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 7th 2011, 05:06 AM

Most of my experiences with my tattoo have been really good, it's in a hidden spot so it's harder to see, mine is on the top my foot. Both of my bosses love my tattoo, when they saw it, they immediately said, "You have a tattoo." Followed by, "That's so pretty! I love it, but that had to hurt!"

I've only had one bad experience with mine. Some older lady chewed me out for having a tattoo, saying it was against my religion (which she asked about before she chewed me out). And in the middle of Wal-Mart of all places! But at least she was the one who got dirty looks, not me.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Arie. Offline
Olive you :D
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,960, Level: 15 Points: 11,960, Level: 15 Points: 11,960, Level: 15

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 7th 2011, 05:49 AM

Nope,well I don't any tattoos but I have friends who are literally covered in tattoos and I find it HAWT!

Both my ears are pierced and while I don't have any tattoo (yet) I get curious and I ask (seemingly stupid) questions but in the near future it's on my list...

I hope you have the strength to start all over again.- F.Scott Fitzgerald
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ashes2493 Offline
I'm only the monster u made me
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 10,763, Level: 15 Points: 10,763, Level: 15 Points: 10,763, Level: 15

Re: do people treat you differently because of your tattoo & piercings? - August 7th 2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abj. View Post
Nope,well I don't any tattoos but I have friends who are literally covered in tattoos and I find it HAWT!

Both my ears are pierced and while I don't have any tattoo (yet) I get curious and I ask (seemingly stupid) questions but in the near future it's on my list...
Well, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I know quite a bit about tattoos, I'm a fanatic.

Morgan Lynn 5/15/2010
Henry Thomas 12/15/2010

I love you both unconditionally

Let go of the fear Let go of the doubt
Let go of the ones who try to put you down
You're gonna be fine Don't hold it inside
If you hurt right now, then let it all come out
Breathe - Ryan Star

Your Helpful Tattoo Enthusiast Ask Away!
Closed Thread