TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AlabamaForever Offline
MissKayla
Welcome me, I'm new!

Advice to new members - July 4th 2012, 05:03 AM

I srtrongly suggest when asking for advice to be very vague because they don't let you delete your post nor do they protect your posts from search engines like google! This is not a very safe place to write stuff!!!!!!!!

So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 909964 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Advice to new members - July 4th 2012, 05:34 AM

You agree to the terms of service upon registering. Should have read them first. Oops

Honestly though. There are ways to make it so your annonymous. Use a private email, don't post your real name or personal info.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Advice to new members - July 4th 2012, 06:25 AM

Hi there,

As Lyndsee said, you agreed to that in the Terms of Service. However, you should always be vague when giving personal information on the internet anyway. We do not delete things for the good of the entire site to allow people to search for advice that they need. Advice for you? The internet is not a safe place, and never expect it to be. <3

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Advice to new members - July 4th 2012, 02:23 PM

Hey there,

Just like the others have said, you should be vague on the internet and not post personal information anyway. It does say in the terms of service (http://www.teenhelp.org/terms/legal/) that
Quote:
The user understands that TeenHelp does not remove or edit the user's account or content in the eventuality that the user regrets submitting it.
This is something that all new users should read before creating an account.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
helprecovery Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice to new members - July 10th 2012, 01:17 AM

Thanks for posting this!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Advice to new members - July 11th 2012, 02:22 AM

Actually, I find it's easier for people to help you when you aren't being vague, because when you do, it's just painful and really hard to help (I know this from experience) and also, if your considering putting your problems, or anything about you on the internet, not only TH, but anywhere, it'll come up in search engines, and remember 'anything you put on the internet, stays on the internet'. - Plus, most of the time on TH, people generally don't insult you about your problems, but try to help you, that is only harder when we don't really know what's going on.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#7 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Advice to new members - July 11th 2012, 02:45 AM

The thing is, if you don't POST your personal information, none of your post would be tied to your real name. So someone would have to happen to GUESS your username or happen upon your posts and go through a guessing game to figure out that it's you.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: Advice to new members - July 11th 2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George^^ View Post
Actually, I find it's easier for people to help you when you aren't being vague, because when you do, it's just painful and really hard to help (I know this from experience) and also, if your considering putting your problems, or anything about you on the internet, not only TH, but anywhere, it'll come up in search engines, and remember 'anything you put on the internet, stays on the internet'. - Plus, most of the time on TH, people generally don't insult you about your problems, but try to help you, that is only harder when we don't really know what's going on.
I agree with George, in order to get help you have to show a little info so we can help you, if not we have trouble understanding you and therefore we can't help you to the best of our ability.

And what the staff have said, that's in the term of services and you must read the terms of services before you sign up for anything.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Advice to new members - July 11th 2012, 06:20 AM

If you give very vague background on the particular issue, you're going to get very vague advice and more than likely, won't find it to be all that helpful. I often ask people for more information, otherwise the advice is too vague to help solve their issues and I consider it a waste of both of our times. If I ask for more information but don't get any, then I may try a bit more or if I decide to give another reply, I won't put forth much of any effort because I don't care much for careless guessing about the issue and subsequent useful advice.

When you post anything on any forum, social networking site, online auctions, etc..., it's made public. If you don't want people knowing who you are, then simply don't give out your personal information. I give out very little personal info. For example, my profile is blank, the e-mail I used for this site doesn't have my real info (I use it only for a few forums I'm on), and only a few people on here know some info about me but even then, it's pretty vague.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread