TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Kat

Tell me about your parents - November 24th 2012, 05:36 AM

Now that I'm a parent I am starting to freak out. Well, the first year was pretty smooth but now we're approaching "the terrible twos" and I am panicking. I don't know if I'm being too lenient or too strict or smothering him or not paying close enough attention. I love my son more than anything in the world and I don't want to mess this up!

I'm interested to know,
what do you respect about each of your parents?
what are you grateful to your parents for doing?
what do you wish they would change?
what mistakes do you feel they have made?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 24th 2012, 07:14 AM

What do you respect about each of your parents?
I respect that they are their own person, besides the fact that they're very different from each other. My dad is stubborn, my mom likes to keep the peace. That sort of thing. They're both very different in good ways.

What are you grateful to your parents for doing?
I'm grateful for how they have raised me. I'm proud to be their daughter & that I have similar qualities to both of them. As a kid, I didn't agree with their reasoning, however I am the person I am today because of them & I'm grateful for that.

What do you wish they would change?
If anything, just my dad's stubbornness, but I can't really complain considering I'm the exact same way. Like father, like daughter.

What mistakes do you feel they have made?
Any mistakes they've made, I don't feel the need to post about. It's in the past & they are simply that: mistakes. They've tried their best to raise me & any mistakes they've made, they've learned from & have become even better parents.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 24th 2012, 07:18 AM

What do I respect about my parents?

Well, my Mum somehow managed to raise four kids with reasonable social decency, who can accept when things don't go right.
My Dad is useful financially. They split when I was 13, and from then I was raised by grandparents.

Parenting is a tough job, and I think they did the best they could given the circumstances. I respect them for that.

I am grateful to my parents for teaching me that housework is necessary, and isn't a punishment. I am grateful that the encouraged us to read, and be educated. And to question things. To ask if we didn't know.

Wish they would change? I don't. They did the best they could, and to ask them to change would be asking them to be people that they are not.

Mistakes they made - some complicated situations could have been handled better. But we can't change that now.

The big thing about your kid (I've worked with kids), is it's going to hurt you both when you have to say no. But that's the thing - there are going to be times when you have to say no, no matter what the kid's reaction. The kid may hate you temporarily, but they get over it. Do the best you can, nobody can ask more than that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 24th 2012, 08:08 AM

I'm interested to know,

I respect all the sacrifices they made to raise the 3 kids and the farm, they gave up decent jobs to take over the farm when my Grandparents could no longer work the ranch.
They kicked my arse when I did wrong, I know differences between right and wrong, I respect everyone unless they give me a reason too.
I wish they would change their opinion of the Military and me serving in it, I wish they would change how they do business and let me help get them some help.
I feel they made the mistake when they pretty much excommunicated me when I told them I made the choice to join the Military. They have negative views and cut me off, I understand why they did it, so its alright. I just wish one day they could over look that.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 25th 2012, 04:39 PM

I respect my mom for being really up front about things. She doesn't edge away from topics, she's really open and honest so that she knows I can talk to her about anything, and nothing is taboo. I also respect that she's reasonable- she has rules and things but she's always willing to compromise if she thinks it's fair.
I respect my dad for working really hard. He's worked his butt off at his job for so long to make sure he can support the family, and sometimes I think it's under-appreciated

I'm grateful that my parents work hard to give me and my siblings good lives. I'm also grateful that while they're interested in my life they do give me some breathing room so they don't need to know every single detail.

I wish they would try to see it from my point of view more often. I know they were teenagers once too but sometimes it seems like they completely disregard that.

While my mom is open and talks about things I also think I grew up a pretty sheltered life. I had to discover a lot of things, mostly "negative", on my own. My aunt and uncle raised their kids and didn't shield them from every single bit of violence and hatred and bad stuff out there, and they grew up fine. Sometimes I feel like I'll always be naive because they held back.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 26th 2012, 02:24 AM

I respect that my dad is a fighter. He is a cancer survivor and fought through it for my sister and me.
I respect that my mom is always there for me. If I have a problem, she deals with it.
There have been times, mainly when my dad was sick and we weren't so great financially, they even gave up meals for me. I respect that.

I'm grateful for just how they are. I can tell that they centered their life around my sister and me, and would give anything to make me successful.

I wish they would look at my mental health in a different way. They're supportive, but not in the right way, if that makes sense.

I agree with Barb. Every parent makes mistakes!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 26th 2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Tortuga Manuelita View Post
I'm interested to know,
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Tortuga Manuelita View Post

I love the fact that both of my parents would stand up for me in any situation EVER no matter how old I get, but that's a given. I respect my dad for trying to change the way he talks to me. There's a lot more affrimative support and a lot less unnecessary criticism.

What are you grateful to your parents for doing?

Well, my mom still does EVERYTHING for me so I'm incredibly grateful for everything she does. I'm also glad that I was taught right and wrong, respect, and basic morals and values

In terms of parenting, nothing really, I'm an adult now so we're more eqauls than parents and child. In terms of other things, my dad is still judgmental of other people when he doesn't think they can hear him and he steps in and tries to "help" in situations that are none of his business when he doesn't have all the information. I really wish he would stop doing that, it's disrespectful. and I wish my mom would stand up to my grandma because I can't stand to see her mistreated by anyone, let alone her own mother.

What mistakes do you feel they've made?

There's really no reason to post anything. Every parent is going to make mistakes nobody's perfect.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; November 26th 2012 at 06:44 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Tell me about your parents - November 26th 2012, 06:30 PM

My dad's ability to connect with me despite our gender differences. My mother's ability to forgive my mistakes and honest hope for my future.

For deciding to have me after they lost my brother. For keeping me as healthy as they could and not giving up when my health got worse. For paying for my college.

I wish my father was nice to my brother. I don't think he's a very good role model and I'm worried how that will effect my brother. I wish my mother would stop collecting friends and just be one. I wish my mother worried less about appearances and what other people think.

My mother has gotten really physical with me. My dad gets too physical with my brother. Mom used to hit us with hairbrushes. Neither got me help when I was suicidal. Mom blamed my panic attacks on my best friend.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: Tell me about your parents - December 3rd 2012, 08:02 PM

I respect my mother for being honest with me, and always telling me things. She is an awesome mom. I respect my step father, because every time I do something wrong he tells me and i honestly just fix it.

I am grateful to my parents because they love me, and for not wanting to change anything about me, and always wanting what is best for me.

I wish they would let lose sometimes. I wish that they would give me a little more space then they do and let me do more things i want to do that are fun.

I feel that maybe they made a few mistakes as to closeness when I was younger, maybe do things more as a family, and actually do things that are fun. More things together.

I hope this helped some.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BillieRose88 Offline
Then I defy you, stars!
Average Joe

Name: Sofia

Re: Tell me about your parents - December 6th 2012, 10:07 AM

Uhm, I don't actually know to be honest. My mum is crazy but I like the fact that her and my father are such close friends even after the break up. For me, presumably. I repect that, deep down in their hearts, they only really want what's best for me.

What are you grateful for your parents doing?
I'm greateful for...... My education. My mother constantly works so that she can afford dresses and to send my brother and I to school.

I wish that my mother was more accepting of who I am. I told her that I was in love with my female best friend and she told me that I'm never allowed to go over to my friend's house again. I'm not allowed to engage in activities that interest me but rather forced into activities that interest her (that she doesn't even get involved in). I'm not allowed proper music lessons despite my dreams. I'm not allowed to do Drama because it's not active enough. I have to do surfing and surf survival. I can't join the Air Force Cadets (despite me dreams, again) because she's too lazy to drive me to it once a week yet lets my brother go to archery once a week. I'm forced to go out on the boat with the family every weekend then I get scolded for not doing assignments due to not having enough time.

What mistakes do you feel they have made?
Almost everything. My mother is unaccepting and bitchy and unfair. My father puts me in the path of drugs and sickness.

Just be fair, accept your child for who he is and will be unless, of course, he wants to be a drug addict or something of the kind and make sure you love them and they know it. Don't do like my mother and be all like *"I love you" but I'm going to rip all of the happiness out of your life*. It's awfully hard to explain right now without ranting (which I have done and I apoligise) because I am angry at her. If the world doesn't end tomorrow please message me and I will tell you properly- if you want.

If you read this and didn't just skip to the last few sentances then I am sorry for wasting your time. Truely sorry.

How about a kiss, Saumensh?

Closed Thread