TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Tastes and smells - December 4th 2012, 04:08 AM

Firstly I would like to apologize for any mispellings or grammatical errors as I am on my phone.

I was wondering how well other people can taste things when they smell them. I'm not sure how normal or unusual this is, but when I speak to my friends about it I'm always met with blank stares and confusion.

When I smell something I can taste it as well as if it were in my mouth. Due to this fact I always know if I will like a food before I taste it, which confuses a lot of people. However this also means I know what a lot of things taste like that I would rather not (such as when someone else vomits or certain cleaners). I also find that this causes me to avoid certain things, especially things with added fragrance because I find it leaves an odd gross taste in my mouth. Like, I know what engine oil tastes like, because whenever I smell it I can taste it too.

Does anyone else experience this? Is it normal or do I have some sort of heightened sense of taste or smell?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Talinn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tastes and smells - December 4th 2012, 08:49 AM

My brother has something very similar to this and the doc said people like this have more olfactory nerves and a larger olfactory bulb. It's actually too good for your own good because it interferes with other parts of the brain. I'm not a major in neurochemistry, but the layout of the nerves adversely affects other parts of the brain. I don't know that there's a name for it but there's been studies correlating psychiatric disorders and the olfactory sense (my brother does have schizophrenia).

As for myself, I can't actually smell at all because I have Kallmann Syndrome, but I can still taste a little through texture. It's a mixed blessing, I suppose. =P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Tastes and smells - December 4th 2012, 12:10 PM

Wow really? Your brother with schizophrenia experiences the same thing? I find that very interesting since the disorder I have is related to schizophrenia (some doctors actually believe it is just schizophrenia with added moodyness )

That's weird, I never would have thought that would have anything to do with mental illnesses.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: Tastes and smells - December 4th 2012, 01:45 PM

It happens that sometimes when I smell something I automatically can taste it. It happens when I know the taste an it goes with the smell. Usually when I love something. Usually it's only with food. I don't think tat it is not normal I think everyone is different in there own way and experiences a lot of things different then others might.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Tastes and smells - December 5th 2012, 04:58 AM

I'm the same way, actually. I thought that was normal, though.

Closed Thread