TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 04:14 AM

Is there anywhere where Rob explains the frequent downtime of TeenHelp?

I've read plenty of explanations from some staff members, but nothing from Rob. It seems that almost every time I try to access the site, it's been down.

I'm curious what usage statistics are right now. With the downtime, I'd imagine that TH is being crawled less. I'd imagine that those who frequent less religiously might begin to not frequent the site at all.

Yeah so...

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Im alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Ill keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 973568 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 12:16 PM

Nobody is required to keep TH up and running, and seeing as it's a nonprofit we're lucky to have it at all. Instead of criticizing and being annoyed that TH is down more frequently I think we should be happy that it's even still here at all.
Someone is footing the bill for this site and expecting nothing in return, we should be grateful for what we have not demanding explanations from people who owe us nothing.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 02:38 PM

Richard is right.
During the downtime try to find something to keep you ocuppied.
The site is going to go down and there is nothing us as staff or as users can really do about it.
We kind of just have to be patient an wait. I've noticed that it is usually only 24 hours or less which in my mind is not very long.

Keep yourself busy. Do things you love. The site will always be up and down.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 02:49 PM

As much as we should be happy we even have Teen Help, it doesn't negate the fact that it's frustrating it goes down so much. Because yes, we're happy TH is still here. Yes we're lucky someone pays the bill and asks nothing of us. But let's not pretend that we didn't wish it worked more or we aren't frustrated by it. And yeah, I bet the activity on the site is less. I don't know the exact reason the site is always going down. But until then, we can't do anything but keep ourselves occupied and content.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
love__me Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rachel Sanders

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 04:26 PM

've noticed that it's down a lot as well, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna demand a explanation of why it's down. I just keep checking to see if it's back up, and if it isn't, then I just do other things. E.G iPhone, listening to music, talk to other friends, or go on other websites.
I'm glad TH is still around, and if I could, I'd donate to the bill but I can't.

You are beautiful just the way you are.
Looking like a fallen star.
Don't listen to what people say.
They don't know the real you, anyways.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 04:37 PM

Rob is an extremely guy, which is likely why he's not responded individually to thread .
TeenHelp is a very busy site, and I'm not totally sure what's causing it to go down, but it happens and for now we have to accept that.

It's frustrating, indeed, but sometimes you do have to be patient - hopefully the support we can get here is worth that wait!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 07:43 PM

Also sometimes its something that its something Rob can't even control such as Server internal errors. So like said above; Just be patient Its a great site that no one has to pay to use

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 09:55 PM

Well, unfortunately, because TH is a nonprofit organization, it relies on donations to stay up and running. Therefore, we have a somewhat cheaper server that probably can't handle the volume of users we have on the site all the time. And if that server goes down, then obviously it causes problems. I would love to donate to the site to keep it up and running, but I can't - most THers feel that way. I'm glad we don't HAVE to pay to use the site.
As it's been stated, there are other things we can do when the site is down. And, for a person like me who's addicted to the site, I think the downtime is a nice time to get away and do some of the things I need to do (like laundry, which I should be doing now) and some of the things I like to do (like reading). It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 10:21 PM

I'm sure Rob appreciates your responses, but my point seems to have been missed.
This issue is an elephant in the room. Everyone's aware of it, and the only answers I've ever seen is "Rob is busy!" or "You should be lucky it's even up!"

I was patient (and helped rebuild) when the site went completely down in 08-09. That was a "things happen" thing. We all want to grow TH, right? We have Social Networking initiatives and the like. Think of it like a local business down the street. You pull up to their store front to see if they are open: they're closed. You try again, and they're closed again. How does that make you feel?

Listen, guys. I'm not blaming Rob and I'm not certainly not ungrateful for everything he does. But I'm hearing a lot of reasoning (excuses) for why it's down. It's something that we all know is an issue, yet the Administrator, the person who is responsible has not even commented on it.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Im alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Ill keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: TH Downtime - December 5th 2012, 10:31 PM

To be honest, I don't think anyone should be guessing or saying why it's down. Because do you really know why it's down? There are TONS of reasons a site like this goes down. I would love to hear from Rob on why this issue keeps happening, but until then, we REALLY don't know. If there was something WE, as the community could do, then we would do it. But we can't. We don't know what Rob's plan to fix this is, but I know he is definitely aware of it. Who knows, really? I think it's a waiting game, to be honest. Until then, there isn't much else to do?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 04:40 AM

I actually agree with Alex on the issue, it's inefficient of the website continuing to go down and it's hard to volunteer on a site that you cannot plan your time around. That's true. I would really like a response on why it is happening, since it's lowering my productivity on the site. I think it's a lot more complicated than "we're a nonprofit." Yes, we're a nonprofit, but this is a repeating issue that is going to lower the retention of the site, so it'd be nice to have a clear idea what is happening in order to properly judge what individual members here can do about it and so that when it goes down we'd have a better ieda why. Even "we don't know why it's going down" would at least give an idea of the situation.

Would more people donating fix it? We currently do not know, but it really wouldn't hurt anybody.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 04:58 AM

The constant crashing is frustrating at the least, but I don't think it's fair (or productive for that matter) for everyone to start demanding an explanation from Rob or jumping on Alex for having an opinion and wanting the same thing a lot of us want. Most of us have gotten frustrated and posted threads, we all have the right to do that. What we don't have the right to do or need is for people start coming after each other for something we've all done and/or are frustrated by. We all want the same thing here, so attacking each other is a waste of time and energy. Also, for any staff worried about productivity, the site being down doesn't count against you, do the best you can at your job when you're available and the site is up and you'll have nothing to worry about.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; December 6th 2012 at 05:06 AM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 05:12 AM

Well, if you want an explanations I have one for you. Those evil Fluffy Bunnies have been invading the TeenHelp server using fluffy virus's and been shutting down the site. Meanwhile the magical invisible unicorns have been fighting back and restoring the server! The war between the Evil Bunny Empire and the Magic Unicorn Rebellion still goes on! Hopefully conflict is resolved soon with the destruction of the Bunny Empire.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 05:33 AM

Yes, I think "Rob is busy" or "it's nonprofit" is really dodging the issue. It could not possibly be complex, and even a short answer about the server or hackers would be much appreciated. Dodging and guilting is quite obnoxious.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 07:07 AM

I'm with Maeve. Guilting on any side is wrong. It's not Rob's fault, obviously, and it's also not anybody else's fault for asking questions. I think it'd just be nice to have a bit more clear of an idea what is going on.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 08:00 AM

No one is demanding anything. Merely curious as to why it's down significantly more often than it ever has been.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 04:14 PM

It's quite possible that Rob doesn't have a clear answer himself, and "it's a server issue" or, "we're nonprofit and can't afford a bigger server," could be the best answer we can get at the moment.
I have to wonder if a transfer to a different server would cause issues with loss of data or a significant amount of downtime during the transfer. I'm not well-educated on things like that, so I don't know how long it would take or what it entails, but I'm not even sure if transferring to a different server would be a plausible solution.

Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieUSMC View Post
Well, if you want an explanations I have one for you. Those evil Fluffy Bunnies have been invading the TeenHelp server using fluffy virus's and been shutting down the site. Meanwhile the magical invisible unicorns have been fighting back and restoring the server! The war between the Evil Bunny Empire and the Magic Unicorn Rebellion still goes on! Hopefully conflict is resolved soon with the destruction of the Bunny Empire.
That is so, so true, I bet...

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#19 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 04:41 PM

Em, to my knowledge. If we ever were to switch to a new server, the process of transferring to a new server would take a long time if you account for all that we have on this server. Not to mention, I'm sure we would lose a lot as well- given the server. Someone suggested a new server in Bugs and Suggestions and this was Roberto's response:

Quote:
Getting a new server may not be as simple as you suggest. For instance, the server you indicated would be not be anywhere near sufficiently powerful to host TeenHelp. Not all servers are the same.
So, it really doesn't seem like it'd be all that easy, or cheap.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Re: TH Downtime - December 6th 2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Lights. View Post
Em, to my knowledge. If we ever were to switch to a new server, the process of transferring to a new server would take a long time if you account for all that we have on this server. Not to mention, I'm sure we would lose a lot as well- given the server. Someone suggested a new server in Bugs and Suggestions and this was Roberto's response:

So, it really doesn't seem like it'd be all that easy, or cheap.
That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. Thanks for the clarification.

Closed Thread