TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Lucid Dreams - January 1st 2013, 11:19 PM

I would like to have lucid dreams. Does anyone know any easy/good techniques to have lucid dreams?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Lucid Dreams - January 1st 2013, 11:46 PM

I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but you have to learn how to make yourself aware that you're dreaming during the dream. Usually something in your dreams is strange which is an indicator that it's a dream. Try to look for indicators like that while sleeping and once you know you're dreaming, you should be able to do whatever you want in your dreams. Also, writing down your dreams might help you recognize the indicators that you're dreaming. I hope this helps.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Naga's Minion
Not a n00b

Name: unknown

Re: Lucid Dreams - January 2nd 2013, 07:49 PM

I love having lucid dreams! Omg! They're amazing! I just think about something I want to dream of, then for an hour or two just make up a little story of the dream in your head like you would see in a film. When you go to sleep thinking of the storyline you have created so far in your head, you are likely to continue that dream as you with full control of what you want to happen. I have has lucid dreams since I was 7 years old, I used to get the same nightmare until one time I just stoped it. I hope this helps! - Tell me how is goes?
  Send a message via Skype™ to kissthestarsgoodnight 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
King of D Devil
Average Joe

Name: Wonderboy

Re: Lucid Dreams - January 4th 2013, 08:01 AM

there are many methods of lucid dream .. i m also a lucid dreamer ..
if you need some help thn msg me and here's are tech

1) Suggestion:

Clear your mind. Relax. Repeat to yourself thoughtfully one of the following:

“Tonight in my dreams, I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”
Or
“Tonight in my dreams, when I see something strange, I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”
Or fill in the blank with a dreamsign which is both common and unusual in your dreams (for example, if your dead Aunt Ruth frequently appears in your dreams):
“Tonight in my dreams, when I see ___________ (my deceased Aunt Ruth), I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”

Imagine yourself happily writing down your lucid dream in the morning!

2) Waggoner’s Modified Castaneda Technique: Finding your Hands

Using the Carlos Castaneda approach consistently each night before sleep is how I had my first lucid dream. I believe it works by establishing a simple stimulus-response associational link. Practicing repeatedly develops the association between the stimulus (the sight of your hands) and the response (“This is a dream!”).

1) Sit in your bed, and become mentally settled.
2) Stare softly at the palm of your hands, and tell yourself in a caring manner that, "Tonight while I am dreaming, I will see my hands and realize that I am dreaming."
3) Continue to softly look at your hands and mentally repeat the affirmation, "Tonight while I am dreaming, I will see my hands and realize that I am dreaming."
4) Allow your eyes to cross, and unfocus; remain at peace and continue to repeat slowly.
5) After about five minutes or once you feel too sleepy, quietly end the practice.
6) When you wake up in the middle of the night, gently recall your intention to see your hands and realize that you are dreaming. Try to remember your last dream; did you see your hands?
7) At some point in a dream, suddenly your hands will pop up in front of you and you will instantly make the connection, "This is a dream!" Try to stay calm and explore the dream environment. Later, when you wake from your lucid dream, take a moment and write it down in your dream journal -- write the entire dream; how you realized you were dreaming; what you did while aware that you were dreaming, etc. Congratulations!

3) Stephen LaBerge’s MILD Technique

The following is my interpretation of LaBerge’s visualized role-playing technique:

1) Get into the practice of memorizing your last dream in detail, when you spontaneously wake up at night. Simply lie in bed, and recall the last dream in detail.
2) Then LaBerge suggests that you take your recalled dream, and clearly imagine that you have become lucid at an appropriate point. Visualize yourself becoming aware in the remembered dream.

3) Next, intend to become lucid in the next dream by suggesting, "Next time I’m dreaming, I want to recognize I’m dreaming."
4) Do the above until you feel determined. Expect to become lucid and aware in your next dream as you fall back asleep.

LaBerge also recommended that lucid dreamers conduct a "reality check" to verify that they were dreaming. A "reality check" could be something as simple as levitating or flying -- if you can do these actions in the dream state, then obviously it is a dream!

4) Paul Tholey’s – A Critical Question? Or a Lucid Mindset

In 1959, Paul Tholey developed an idea to achieve critical awareness in dreams, writing: “If one develops a critical frame of mind towards the state of consciousness during the waking state, by asking oneself whether one is dreaming or awake, this attitude will be transferred to the dreaming state. It is then possible through the occurrence of unusual experiences to recognize that one is dreaming.”

Throughout the day when confronted with an odd event, ask yourself, “Am I dreaming or not?” Then consider, “How do I know?”

Some have suggested putting a red ‘C’ on your hand with a marker, and then each time you see it, ask yourself, “Am I dreaming?” You could then do a reality check, like try and levitate. Eventually, this may transfer over to your dream state, and when you wonder “Am I dreaming?” and do a reality check, you will find yourself levitating, and realize, “This is a dream!”.
5) Nap to Lucidity Technique

Independently noticed by many lucid dreamers (and confirmed by the Lucidity Institute), the Nap to Lucidity Technique significantly increases the probability of a lucid dream.

A) Wake about 90 minutes before your normal waking time.

B) Spend the next 90 minutes reading or thinking about lucid dreaming, then return to sleep with the intent to become lucid.

Using this technique, the number of lucid dreams skyrocketed in the final sleep period, when compared to baseline records. ( Lynne Levitan, Nightlight, Vol 3, # 1, “Get Up Early, Take a Nap, Be Lucid”)

Miscellaneous Thoughts

For some people, lucid dreaming requires some persistence. So try to do one of the above practices consistently.

Also, consider what you might like to do in a lucid dream. Get interested, curious and excited about that! This develops emotional energy. If you don’t know what you’d like to do, start reading the lucid dreams of others at The Lucid Dream Exchange www.dreaminglucid.com and find something that make you wonder, “Could a person really do that in a lucid dream?”

If this is your first lucid dream, remember not to get too excited upon becoming lucid, since this normally will wake you up. If getting excited, look at your hands, or the ground or focus on something boring in the lucid dream to stabilize it. Good luck!

-Robert Waggoner

the world
is just
awesome

Send a message via MSN to King Of Iron Fist Send a message via Yahoo to King Of Iron Fist Send a message via Skype™ to King Of Iron Fist 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Lucid Dreams - January 4th 2013, 08:10 AM

Tips I have seen posted on FJ (of all places) - they're probably similar to stuff already posted here.

Dots on your thumb knuckles - with a black marker, draw a dot on the knuckle of each of your thumbs. (You know, where your thumb separates from your hand.) Look at the dots repeatedly throughout the day. Then when you are dreaming, if you see your hands and don't see the dots, you will know you are dreaming. Takes practise.

The other one - lay perfectly still, on your back or something. Do not move, and try not to move your eyeballs. If you get the urge to itch, scratch, roll over, what ever - ignore it. Falling asleep like this somehow gives you more control over your dreams, I don't remember the explanation as to why.

Remember, lucid dreaming takes practise. Usually, when we become aware that we are dreaming, we wake up - this is partly because dreaming usually occurs during REM sleep, which is one of the lighter sleep phases. The practise part is where you become aware that you are dreaming, but manage to stay asleep.

Anyway, good luck flying and whatever else you plan to do in your dreams!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BnMcG Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Lucid Dreams - January 8th 2013, 09:25 PM

From what I recall from some readings a few years ago, the techniques involved essentially revolve around working out if you're dreaming or not.

Some of the suggestions I remember reading are pinching yourself (lightly) every so often, get into the habit of it (the habit is the important bit!) - if you're dreaming you won't feel the pain when you pinch, and realise that you're not awake - but by realising you're not awake, you've become 'aware'. Hence you should now be able to control the events of the dream.

I read that often people are so surprised they've realised they're dreaming, that they wake up anyway (from shock :P) - it takes practice.

Another technique was whenever you wake up and remember a dream, write it down (keep a diary kind-of thing) this helps your memory (and other things, I've forgotten!)

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Closed Thread