TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

testifying in a murder case - January 25th 2013, 06:44 PM

I am curious if anyone else experienced this as I will eventually have to do. I am a tiny bit worried that I will get tripped up over a question and not know how to answer it. Do you have any idea of what they will most likely ask you? I had a polygraph test just because they wanted to be able to say well even though she isnt the suspect we eliminated her like all the others. That they tell you what they will ask. I know I won't know what they will ask exactly in court but will I have any idea of the types of things? The other thing is can I completely ruin everthing if I say something wrong because of nerves mixed with confusion of what they ask? Like when they asked me if I had the security alarm code to the house, my answer is yes but no. I did have it at one point in time but she changed it within the last few years...

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: testifying in a murder case - January 25th 2013, 07:54 PM

I've never been in court before so I won't really be able to help. One thing I can say, is try to bring up your concerns before you go in. And if they ask something you don't understand, ask them to clarify. Using your question as an example, I'd assume they meant "On the night in question, did you have the code?" in which case you could say "No." but there's nothing wrong with asking for clarification or saying "I didn't have the correct code on the night." You can then explain you used to have it if they ask for more information. Just relax, breathe, and tell the truth. You have nothing to worry about.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: testifying in a murder case - January 25th 2013, 08:36 PM

I've been to a tribunal court before, there was a judge etc. That being said I know court is a-lot more serious. And I have nearly had to give evidence in court before. I was told because of my age the fact that I was under 18 they would either have me in a separate room and I could do the court case by video or I would be in the court room it's self but have 'screen' up in front of me so the people I would have been giving evidence against etc could not see me and the only people who would have been able to see me would have the police officers on the case, the judge and anyone else involved in the court case.
You will most likely be expected to take an oath of some description, the judge will ask questions and as a witness you just need to answer the questions and give the evidence.

Before the court case a police officer or a worker should talk to you etc, and support you. You may also have the option to take breaks during the court case, the judge should understand this. The judge will have seen your statement or should have at least the rough details of your statement.

Just relax, breathe and tell the truth and if you need a break ask for one.

Good luck.

I know court can be a scary prospect, I was scared when I was told I would be going to the tribunals which are a-lot less formal.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: testifying in a murder case - January 25th 2013, 08:48 PM

I've never been in court ever, let alone for a murder case, but remember that he whole idea of the judicial system is to get justice.
Whilst they'll press you a little to make sure that you tell the truth and don't leave anything important out, remember at the end of the day that everyone is there to find out the truth, and make sure any wrongdoing is punished.

The most important thing is this: tell the court what you KNOW, not what you think.
If something was missing and that's all you know, say that it was missing, don't say "well, I think it was probably missing because this person likely took it!"
That's not fair, and won't stand in court.
It's pretty simple, though, so don't overthink.

Just be calm, and tell the truth - the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Always keep in mind the difference between incontrovertible knowledge and belief.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Closed Thread