TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Malawi - February 5th 2013, 06:12 PM

Hi everyone.

On Friday night I was behind the bar at a charity night for an organisation called Classrooms For Malawi. (Obvious by the name what they do but it's all here: http://classroomsformalawi.org/) I didn't get to see a lot of what their presentation was about but it did look like a great cause so since it's an old of friend of my mum's who organised it, I asked what I could do to help.

The upshot is, he's invited me to go to Malawi with the group in June. There are actually several reasons why I can't go this year (Previous plans, the fact I need to raise 2000, etc.) but I'm considering going next year. The only things holding me back are being on my own at the other side of the world without being able to contact any friends or family, and the fact I'd need to be vaccinated against Hep A and B (and I think C? Does that exist?), Typhoid, and Malaria. At least. There are others I'd proably be advised to get aaaand I'm such a huge needle phobic.

What do you guys think? It'd be an amazing opportunity I'm just doubtful about whether or not I could handle it. I hate to see people suffering and in pain, and it'd be a big deal since we'd be going to three of the poorest cities in the country. Has anyone here been to Malawi before?

I'm so on the fence about whether to go or not. I mean, I could happily work with them to raise 2000 whether I went or not. If I didn't go, hey they have an extra two grand to work with.
Someone push me in the right direction? I'm too back and forth on this.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Malawi - February 5th 2013, 06:31 PM

Well, it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity probably so maybe you should think about grabbing the chance.

You have until next year to make up your mind fully so maybe just spend time working with them and finding out more about what you'll be doing if you do go.

Also, you could ask if you could bring someone along with you like your girlfriend. You have plenty of time to raise enough money for both of you to be able to go there and it would probably help you feel better if you have somebody there you're close to.

I would honestly say go for it If you're really worried about being out there maybe ask them if you do feel really homesick or anxious or panicked if you can just take a plane home anytime by yourself so you can see if that will be an option for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Malawi - February 5th 2013, 07:03 PM

For sure, Louise! Opportunities like this come far and few between! Sometimes the best part of a trip is going into it not knowing what to expect or who to meet. Even though you'll be away from friends and family, I can almost guarantee that you'll meet so many new and inspiring people on your trip.

Needles? I've had to be vaccinated for all sorts of things because I'm in the culinary industry, and I've traveled to many places. Think of it this way: one needle prick will save you from a heck of a lot more pain, should you otherwise contract malaria or Hep A/B/C. Amiright?

Sometimes it's just a few moments of insane courage that lead you to something incredible. If you didn't wanna go, you wouldn't be on the fence! So here I am, coaxing you to my side (the adventurous, go for it side!)

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Malawi - February 5th 2013, 09:55 PM

I have not been to Malawi, but if I got the opportunity to go absolutely anywhere at all, and could afford to do so, then heack I'd take it!

Plus, there are ways around your needle phobia, you could always ask to be given either a general or something that'll make you so dopey you don't care, and then they can give you all the shots.

Yes, Hep C exists, but I don't think there's a vaccine for it? You'll have to ask, obviously.

Fully, do it. 2000 pounds isn't that much in the long run, and it's a great cause. Plus, you have over a year to prepare for it!

Closed Thread