TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

What to do when............ - February 15th 2013, 08:13 AM

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another what to do when question. I was at my orientation the other day, for college and when I got out, I walked up this road to get to the train station, nice, busy road and I was just walking and a woman's car broke down. She couldn't get it started and she was sort of diagonal in her lane. Pressure was building, cars were approaching and nothing was happening.............

I thought, oh yeah, cars are nowhere yet, maybe I should potentially help somehow. I didn't, she eventually got her car going, and looking back on it, helping was probably not an amazing idea, but what do you do when someone is broken down and they have their car stuck in an awkward position in the middle of the road like that, near you?

Has it ever happened to you?

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: What to do when............ - February 15th 2013, 08:22 AM

Offer to help them push it to the side of the road!

That's pretty easy, they put the car in neutral and steer (which can be done with a dead battery, out of petrol, etc), and you push it from behind. As a general rule a relatively fit young person can push a car on a level street without much trouble. The advantage of this is often if people see one stranger helping, they're more likely to jump in and help too.

Also, getting the car out of the traffic flow is important - having a dead car with live traffic is a huge risk, for obvious reasons, and well, safety first!

(This coming from Auckland's most prominent motorway pedestrian of 2011-2012. Maybe I grew up sometime last year )

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: What to do when............ - February 16th 2013, 07:55 PM

I work with a local safety and police department, so I see this stuff all the time. My car is equipped with basic repair supplies, as well as safety gear (like lights, cones, flares, etc both for emergencies, and for road traffic). So for me, I always stop and help out (and at the very least get the car off the road and call a tow truck).

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: What to do when............ - February 28th 2013, 10:46 PM

In addition to what everyone else has said about how to get the car moved. Let me give you advice from my mommy. Mom's kinda a safety nut but I watched The Hitcher so cars and mean people come to my mind a lot. She told me that if you decide to help someone when their car is broke down, before stopping, call someone and let them know their car is broke down and you need help then get out and make sure others are around and it's not entirely a dark area, more of a public area. If it's not public, just call the cops and ask if they could pick someone up. That way you can help people and be safe about it. BUT where I live, it's pretty dangerous at times soooo those rules may just apply here.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Temperance Offline
I'm so done with it all...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess :)

Re: What to do when............ - March 6th 2013, 04:38 AM

I'm with Christabel on this one. Offer to help, but make sure there are lots of people around, just in case it isn't as safe as you think.

I myself have had a major car problem. Luckily i was in a turning lane when my clutch went, but i was pretty freaked out by it. and people were getting mad because i blocked a lane.

~We're all misfits living in a world on fire~

Butterfly, don't fly away on me yet

Closed Thread