TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePolarPanther Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Am I being scammed? - March 14th 2013, 12:10 AM

Just trying to figure out if im being scammed here. It seems a little fishy about the trial period pay. I have 2 emails from them. They put an Ad up on Kijiji, and I applied.

EMAIL #1
Good day Applicant,

We received your email concerning the ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT position vacant in our company. First of all, this is a brief introduction about our company. We (RAMAL LTD) are a fast growing office furniture and equipment supply company with our head office in California, USA but we have clients all over the United states of America and Canada, you can visit our websitewww.ramalltd.com to know more about us. Some of our customers who are not far from us buy directly from our main showroom while others make their orders online. Due to the vast number and irregular distribution of our customers all around the United States and Canada, we are trying to open new outlets in strategic cities so that we can be closer to our valued customers. It is always a slow process trying to get payments from customers and also shipping their products or delivering services to them. As a result of this, we will be opening an outlet in your city next month and this is why we seek an ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT for the new outlet to help with payments, be a live help for customers, keep records of transactions and carry out other administrative duties.

As our ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, these would be some of your duties:

-Data Entry
-Receiving and verifying invoices and requisitions for goods and services
-Preparing, verifying, and processing invoices and coding payment documents
-Collection and processing of payments from customers
-General administrative functions.

You will also serve as the contact point or liaison between customer and vendor centralized functions and resolve any issues related to a customer's order. Majority of our customers make payments through money orders or bank drafts as they are readily available and since payments come from a wide range of consumers, this is an easy option for customers. Most of our buyers are those we have previously handled successful transactions with and new buyers are verified by us so there is no cause to worry. When a payment is in form of a bank draft or money order, you would be required to get it processed and send the funds to an information that would be given to you. You will be paid $450 weekly(for the duration of the training which is 2 weeks and will earn from $17 to $23 per hour(depending on years of experience) after the training) as your basic wage and a transport allowance of $150 at the end of each month but note that the job does not require any traveling as you will be working in the outlet when it is opened. For the time being, your weekly pay will be deducted from payments sent to you by our customers.

You will be going through a trial period of two weeks(which you will also be paid) as the outlet will be opened next month. This is to test your efficiency and trustworthiness in working with us as we need to employ the perfect clerk for the outlet. During this trial period, the job would be part-time(any 4 hours daily,you do not work everyday) and becomes full time when the branch is opened in your city. A company representative will be sent to your city on the 1st of April to meet with you and finalize the opening of the outlet. Our company offers benefits such as flexible/negotiable working hours, health and dental insurance and a vacation after every 6 months.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you have any as we will be glad to answer them as soon as we can. Kindly fill the employment form below for our records and for us to facilitate the documents needed for you to be our employee.

Full Names:
Full Contact Address(including city,state and zip code):
Contact Phone:
Contact Email:
Current Job: (if any)

Best Regards,
MICHAEL LAMSON,
Human Resources/Administrative Department.
RAMAL LTD.

EMAIL #2
Hello Rayleena,

Your application has been reviewed. We appreciate your prompt response and we hope you will not disappoint us. We are glad to inform you that you have been offered temporary employment in our company pending the time the outlet will be officially launched in your city next month. You will be starting the trial/training period next week and it will last for 2 weeks as stated in our previous email.

These are some of the details you need to know before you start:

* During the training, you will work from home for any 4 hours of the day and carry out some administrative duties. Also, you do not have to work everyday and your pay will be $450 per week during this period. You will also receive and process payments from our customers during the training.

* The outlet would be opened on Richmond Ave, Brandon

* You will resume at the outlet when it is opened later this month and will earn $20 per hour (9am to 5pm), this is negotiable depending on your experience and efficiency .

* We have scheduled how you will get your pay during the training; you will get payments from our customers each week of the training, all you need do is to get the payments processed at your bank, deduct your weekly pay and send the rest to an information that will be detailed to you.

* There is no work on Saturdays and Sundays.

* You are entitled to a transport allowance of $150 at the end of each month.

* We are already processing your employment documents and they will be finalized and sent to you as soon as we get a reply that you are available to start. Taxes will also be taken care of by the company at the end of every month.

NOTE: Always check your inbox and spam folders for daily updates from us.

Kindly reply this email to let us know if you are available to start next week. Also, you are required to notify the company through me a week ahead if eventually you want to discontinue this job. Once again, congratulations and welcome aboard. We look forward to working with you.

Regards,
MICHAEL LAMSON,
Human Resources/Administrative Department.
RAMAL LTD

So, what do you guys think? Sounds kind of fishy, but I dont want to throw away a full time $20.00/hour job either.

~:: ~ :: ~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 14th 2013, 02:12 AM

I don't really see why it sounds fishy? A lot of companies do trail or probationary periods (actually every single company I've ever worked for has something like this). Hiring someone is a commitment a lot of companies don't like going into blind so they like having a set portion of time to see if you're a good fit and to decide if they're going to be keeping you or not.
Do research on the company, see if it all checks out, even phone the head office to ask if they're opening a branch in your city like the email says if that would help you decide. I don't think it sounds all that fishy to me though. Generally scams want your personal information or to get you to do something for free. They're paying you and they only really want your address so I don't think it's too weird. If they ask for your SIN for anything other than tax purposes I would start asking questions but until then what do you have to lose?

Edit: I looked at their website and the fact that their company emails go to a hotmail and a gmail account are small red flags for me. Also how cheap their website is,
Also the address doesn't seem to make very much sense (it's apparently an under construction building)

Member since 2005

Last edited by Music; March 14th 2013 at 02:19 AM.
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
anglfrdv Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 14th 2013, 01:44 PM

I received the same first email you did this morning. I was wondering if it was a scam myself. Now, after reading the second email you got from them, I know that it's definitely a SCAM.

They want you to process "payments" via money order through your own bank account? A real company wouldn't do that. Companies usually only accept cash, debit or credit cards for payments from their customers. Would you be able to go into Walmart and pay with a money order? No.

Obviously what's going to happen is the money order will bounce in your account and you will only find out after you sent them the rest of the money. Then your bank will come after you for the full amount of the money order.

I am deleting their email right now and I would suggest you do the same.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Olivér CW Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Oliver

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 15th 2013, 01:07 AM

I just had a look at the website. Are you aware that it is a furniture company?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ThePolarPanther Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amber

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 16th 2013, 02:10 PM

Hi,

Yes I am aware that it is a furniture company. Here is another email that they sent me after I asked them exactly what there new stores address was.

EMAIL 3
Dear Rayleena,

Thank you for getting back to us promptly, it shows you are eager to work with our company. We hope to make much progress working together which would enhance the efficiency of delivery of goods and services to our esteemed customers, this means that your training starts in earnest. You will be working on a task today, we want you to find out the cheapest prices of the office equipment below either online or in stores near you and enter them on an Excel spreadsheet:

- Laser Printer
- Scanner
- Copier and Copy papers
- Stapler and staples
- Internet access per month
- Calculator

You are to get prices from at least two different sources and tabulate them in the spreadsheet.

Also, the address outlet is under arrangement but will be finished next week, I will give you the contact of the person in charge so that you can go see the office.

Looking forward to your email with the attached Excel spreadsheet.

RAMAL LTD.

Now, why are they having me do these excel spreadsheets if its a scam? Im thinking about calling there main branch with some questions.

~:: ~ :: ~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 16th 2013, 03:21 PM

Scamers will do anything to seem legit. If getting you to make an excel spreadsheet seems like something a real company might do then they'll do it. However that doesn't seem like something a real company might do. I can't see a company asking someone who is brand new to be finding them the best prices for office equipment. That would be the responsibility of whoever is in charge of the office.
I'm not sure calling their number would help you any. The thing that pops out at me most is that their address isn't real. Every time I look up the address I find that the building is not only under counstruction but is a skyscraper. A legal address for an office in this building would have an office/unit number. The way they are saying their address on their website is as if they own the whole building which is impossible. It's a stupid mistake on their part but to me that just sends up huge giant red flags and I would personally stop emailing them.
The other thing that sends up red flags is that they use gmail and hotmail accounts. Any real reputable company would have their own domain (especially if they own their own website) so more red flags. I don't trust these people at all.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Am I being scammed? - March 16th 2013, 05:14 PM

Honestly, the one thing I've learned from two years job hunting is that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Google the company and see if you can find any websites aside from their own with more information. If this is a scam company, even a new one, it'll be online somewhere.
Ask around and see if anyone's heard of them. Honestly, I'd stop all communications and DO NOT give them your home address or phone number. It's not worth the hassle it would cause if it is a scam.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread