TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Performance Nerves... - April 10th 2013, 07:33 PM

So, my school does something where at the end of the year, we can do either a performance project or an art piece. I would absolutely LOVE to write and perform a song as a performance piece, one that I would write and sing and would have to perform in front of a large chunk of the students in my year. My reasons for wanting to do this are that I want to be a singer, and I've never really performed in front of a large group other than my family so I think this would be a great chance to get a "taste" of the stage when singing solo. But, I can be very shy, and I'm horrified that I'd either a. freak out on stage/right before performing or b. get laughed at and/or talked about afterward. I told a teacher about this and she said that in the past years of doing it the kids have been very supportive, but I'm still scared. I've sung for my family & they have said I'm very good- anyone in my family that I've sung for has seemed impressed., But I'm still nervous... I know what I'd do if I didn't do the performance, so I do have a back up plan. Do you think I should do it? If so, any advice on nerves?
Thank you <3

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Performance Nerves... - April 10th 2013, 08:28 PM

I sing and have done solos, and I definitely think you should do it.
I mean, even if you make a small mistake you've at least got more experience.
I very strongly believe that you should take every opportunity given to you. And this is a pretty fantastic opportunity as they go.

Just make sure you're prepared by practicing lots, and being as close to perfect every time you perform as possible and do it. Freaking out might be a fear, but at the end of the day if you feel prepared you should be able to do it. As for being laughed at or talked about, although it might not seem like it, that's very unlikely. People will generally credit you for trying anyway, and it's not the sort of thing that people comment on, except positively, I've found.

The only real advice for nerves that I can give (and I assure you, I know how you're feeling!) is to keep performing as often as you can. Experience will help no end.

Good luck!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Performance Nerves... - April 10th 2013, 08:44 PM

Thank you! I guess part of my self-doubt comes from feeling like my family's "supposed" to say I'm good, but I don't think they'd genuinely seem impressed if I wasn't at least somewhat decent.
Thank you I think a good way of practicing would maybe be asking my choir teacher if I could see her at lunch and practice in front of her? To ask her for suggestions and such. Think that'd be good?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Performance Nerves... - April 11th 2013, 12:05 AM

Hi, thanks for sending me the link to this, because I can relate without a doubt to 100% of this! I have been singing since I was 7, but I wouldn't sing for ANYONE until I was maybe 11! I've always been a shy kid, and now I'm outgoing, so I'm going to give you the advice I've been given the past how many years, ever since my first solo. I still have troubles, trust me, so be aware that this is something to work at, but you really have nothing to fear!

So first, they're right! The people in those crowds are there to see you do as great as they know you'll be, I mean, your family is impressed, and your teacher thinks its a good idea, so why not? This is something you want to be then go for it and don't let anything, not even yourself, get in the way! Trust me, I have to think the same exact thing, I am horrible with self esteem and I have to sit myself down and make myself aware that this is something I want, and really, nothing else matters.
However, sometimes my mind doesn't like to listen, so what would people do? They'd give me little pep talks.
So here's yours.

Sarah, you know you're talented, and you want this, and you know what? You've got this in the bag! The people out there are there to support you through every note you sing, and its even more amazing that you're doing this yourself, writing and all! Tell yourself that you deserve it, because you DO! Your family and friends and teachers all know it, and I know it.

Okay, now the little technicalities. My most helpful one is to ball up my hand into a fist and breathe into the little space, it slows down your breath and calms you down. I mean, do that before you go on, not while you're out there of course I of course would use this after dancing for two songs, so I'd be pretty beat.

Performing for the first time can be difficult, but remember, deep down, under your nerves and what not, You Want To. That's what counts! So I suggest, yes, choir teacher or your friends or anyone, and sing it for them, ask them for suggestions, practice it in the shower and on the bus or in the morning doing your hair, whenever! Because music is you, and you are the music. You want this?

Go for it
If you wanna message me, feel free, I'm always here

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Performance Nerves... - April 11th 2013, 12:11 AM

Thank youuuuu! Your pep talk really made me smile haha, and helped my confidence. I think I'm gonna do this If I really want to sing for a livig, then ill have to get used to the stage sometime Thank you, really <3

Closed Thread