TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

National Public Saftey Telecommunications (Dispatcher) week 2013 - April 14th 2013, 05:31 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

From 4/14/13 - 4/20/13 is National (U.S) Public Safety Telecommunications (911 dispatcher’s) week. We often look up to Police Officers, Firefighters, Intervention Teams, and Emergency Medical Service personal; however we often forget who sends these people to where they need to get. We often forget who we are talking to when you dial that 911 number for help - you are talking to an unseen hero: a 911 Dispatcher.
Who Am I?
I am the voice that calms the mother into breathing life back into her infant son.
I am the invisible hand that holds and comforts the elderly man who woke up this morning
to find his wife of 50 years has passed away during the night.
I am the friend who talks the disgruntled teenager out of ending her own life.
I sent help when you had your first automobile accident.
I am the one who tries to obtain the information from callers to ensure that the scene is safe
for those I dispatch to emergencies - all the while anticipating the worst and hoping for the best.
I am the psychologist who readily adapts my language and tone of voice to serve the
needs of my callers with compassion and understanding.
I am the ears that listen to the needs of all those I serve.
I have heard the screams of faceless people I never will meet nor forget.
I have cried at the atrocities of mankind and rejoiced at the miracles of life.
I was there, though unseen by my comrades in the field during the most trying emergencies.
I have tried to visualize the scene to coincide with the voices I heard.
I usually am not privy to the outcome of a call, and so I wonder...
I am the one who works weekends, strange shifts and holidays.
Children do not say they want my job when they grow up. Yet, I am at this vocation by choice.
Those I help do not call back to say thank you.
Still there is comfort in the challenge, integrity, and purpose of my employment.
I am thankful to provide such a meaningful service.
I am a mother, father, sister, brother, son or daughter.
I am where you need me and still here when you don't.
My office is never empty, and the work here is never done.
I am always on call.
The training is strenuous, demanding and endless.
No two days at work are ever the same.
Who am I?
I am an Emergency 9-1-1 Dispatcher

A Day in the Life in the Communications Center:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFXl4...eature=related

Tribute Song to 911 dispatchers (Audio may be triggering):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBOfjMlRpQ

I'd ask that you give thanks to those who are working behind the scenes keeping safe those, who keep us safe.

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: National Public Saftey Telecommunications (Dispatcher) week 2013 - April 15th 2013, 03:04 PM

Theses people do deserve a lot of thanks for what they do! They work hard to make sure we are well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: National Public Saftey Telecommunications (Dispatcher) week 2013 - April 16th 2013, 12:42 AM

Thank you for posting this, Chris!
I am personally very thankful for dispatchers as I am so accident-prone! Whether it's getting knocked out *on a bunny slope* skiing, or breaking a bone while doing *sit ups*, they've always been there!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: National Public Saftey Telecommunications (Dispatcher) week 2013 - April 16th 2013, 10:55 AM

I've never really had much to do with dispatchers (and, you know, I'm not in the US ), and as such I haven't given much thought to all the hard work that must go into it. This post definitely made me think about it, so thanks for sharing. These people deserve thanks for everything they do.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread