TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 11:45 AM

I've always talked really loud. I think it's because my mum is slightly deaf so I'm so used to talking louder around her.

My friends and boyfriend always tell me I talk too loud >.> I genuinely don't mean to.

How can I force myself to talk quieter? I don't know I'm doing it half the time.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 03:01 PM

I know I can be like that for a while after being with my grandparents, who are quite deaf.
Although it's harder for you because you'll be with your mum consistently having to talk louder, the best thing is really to just be as conscious of what you're saying as possible, and your brain will start to associate the quieter speech with being around friends and louder with your mum.
It will take a little while, but if you're just aware then it should gradually become easier.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 03:54 PM

KAYLEDEE!!! Hun, there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking loud! <3 I wish more people in this world would do it. -_-

It's really hard to adjust your voice once you've been using it a certain way all your life. It takes a lot of discipline and practice.

Honestly, talk the way you always have been. I mean, you clearly speak to your mum quite a bit and that's set the tone (or volume, rather) of your voice.

Trust me, I've had this conversation with my mom myself. I've asked her how I can changed my hyperactive, loud voice into a calmer, quieter one and she told me it's really tough, if not impossible.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 06:19 PM

Honestly, I think it is really hard to change the volume of your voice. I think we all have a certain volume that we talk at. Have you tried talking to your friends and boyfriend about the reason why you talk so loudly? From there I guess the best you can do is just be really conscious of how loudly you are talking. Try and listen to other people's voices and how loudly and mold your volume after that. Although, I think this is hard because when you are involved in a conversation you tend to stop 'thinking' about certain things and focus on the conversation. The best advice I can give you is to just be yourself.

This was probably no help but reading this I couldn't not respond.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Re: I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 07:53 PM

Volume control is difficult but can be done, i've worked with patients with parkinsons diseases who have the opposite problem - talking too quietly. A great way to start to learn more about your volume is to record yourself and listen to it back, does it sound to loud to you secondhand?

And just as a precaution as your mum has some hearing difficulties, i'd get your ears checked out
The voice is a very malleable thing, but if you're happy talking loud, then no worries
xxx

Send a message via MSN to Debaser Send a message via Skype™ to Debaser 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I talk too loud - April 18th 2013, 09:50 PM

Annoying, right? >.> I also think I'm slightly deaf as well (I should really get my ears checked out) My boyfriend also has really good hearing, so we don't mix

Thanks I'm going to have to try and force myself to talk quieter.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: I talk too loud - April 19th 2013, 02:27 AM

I talk really loud when I'm excited. What works for me is people just quietly reminding me - "Jess, you're a bit loud", "Jess, inside voice", "Jess, ssssh!".

As long as people are polite, you can always ask them to remind you if you get too loud, and then you'll actively talk quieter for a while.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: I talk too loud - April 22nd 2013, 12:57 AM

I talk really loud when I'm excited.

I suppose you could focus on your voice for awhile so you can start consciously catching yourself when you're talking louder. Or ask people to let you know when you're talking louder than normal. I know how embarrassing it can be because I'm hearing impaired and sometimes don't realize I'm talking louder than I'm supposed to.

Closed Thread