TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Smile Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 20th 2013, 03:31 PM

Hi Guys!

So yesterday I has one of the most inspirational mornings ever. And I would like to share the experience with you.
My school built a sports hall 2 years ago when I joined a the school. The sports hall is shared with a special needs secondary school built at the same time which boarders our school and they also built a primary school across the road. Yesterday the sports hall was hired out, for a activity morning for special needs schools in the area, including the special needs primary school across the road. Me and 35 other volunteers went in the morning to help set up and told about the day. Some people helped usher people in, other helped run activitys, some made teas and coffees. And me along with 7 other got to help out with a group from the school across the road. At first I was terrified, I wasn't sure who I would have to help out. How disabled they were, the children from the other schools wherent as disabled as the group I helped with. But I have to say I was so happy. There where 5 in the group, Rosie, Amiee, Juliana, Reese and Oliver. Unfortunately Oliver didn't take part as much, he did not like the noise. I particularly helped out with Amiee. She was in a weelchair, but managed to walk for most of the day. She couldn't talk, so communicated through sign language. Everyone ended up watching after Juliana, she was incredibly friendly and active. So was quite intent running around, so we all had our fair share of chasing her around. Rosie wasn't much trouble and stayed with 1 girl in the group. Reese was the most abled bodied. And you would find it hard to see he had a disability. He was very skilful at the activitys, and quite enjoyed kicking a huge inflatable football towards the end. I also saw children from other schools. And talked to a couple as they where leaving an activity. They where really friendly, asking our names, introducing themselves. When it was over all the children got a medal and certificate. I left feeling so happy, I have had some problems and my mum was so surprised when I came home upbeat. I just felt that all the children have so much to deal with on a daily basis but the where so happy. And just knowing I may have done something to make them smile just warmed my heart.

So yeah I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. And I hope it made you smile

GoodbyeLullaby

I wanna be alive well don't you? There's no use in feeling low.
7th March 2013 Met my Heroes Tonight Alive <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 20th 2013, 03:46 PM

That's great that you enjoyed that so much. Have you ever thought of a career helping special needs individuals? It sounds like something you would not only have a blast doing but you sound like you would genuinely be good at it.
I'm glad you had fun and met so many wonderful people. Maybe you'll have another opportunity to get involved? Perhaps you can go to the school and ask if there's anything you can do to help, I'm sure they would be thrilled to see someone your age willing and wanting to help.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 20th 2013, 06:12 PM

Well afterwards our teachers told all of us they are trying to build more connections and that maybe next year to try and sort out a training day so anyone who wants to will get official training so we will be able to do more to help out with these events and things more

GoodbyeLullaby

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 21st 2013, 02:26 AM

Aww, that did put a smile on my face! It does do a lot of good knowing you can put a smile on a person's face for a while and make their day/lives just that much brighter! You did something really amazing!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 21st 2013, 09:50 AM

This was so inspiring!
Good job, buddy!
You just made me smile.
xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 22nd 2013, 12:55 AM

Aww that's so amazing and inspiring! It really does a lot for you being able to make someone smile. Thanks for sharing this!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 22nd 2013, 02:21 PM

Aww, that's wonderful! I can only imagine how that deaf girl in the program feels, because everyone must be communicating verbally and she's completely left out. I think you should become either a special needs teacher or a teacher for the deaf. Or both, even.

I believe strongly in both those things and I hate it when kids with both those disabilities (any type of special needs!) get left behind and pushed to the side.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 23rd 2013, 07:28 PM

Glad this has made you guys smile

And I'm defiantly planning on helping out more as my school gains more connections and as I'm on the school council I will make sure to mention about the day and make a suggestion that we can do more even if its just going to the school and helping out in lessons and that. And if my teacher can see about getting actually training for anyone who wants to I'm defiantly taking the chance

GoodbyeLullaby

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bem Offline
Hurricane eyes.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Re: Just wanted to share this with you :) - April 23rd 2013, 08:09 PM

ahh, this is so lovely. well done, what you did was amazing <3

I'm perfectly normal; it's the rest of the world that's insane.

"He offered her the world."

"She said she had her own."

Closed Thread