TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Annoying sounds. - April 27th 2013, 04:13 PM

For probably about 3 or 4 years, certain sounds (mainly just sounds that people make) have annoyed me, nothing too bad, generally sounds that I could tolerate. More recently, over the past half a year to a year, these certain sounds and some different ones just drive me crazy. I often can't stay in the same room as someone, or I have to put on my headphones. These are noises like people eating, breathing loudly, sneezing, coughing, generally sounds that come from the mouth. It wasn't so bad before, but now it's just a hassle to put up with if I'm having a meal with my family, it's mostly intolerable. The sounds don't just annoy me any more, they make me angry at whoever is making it, like I want to hit them :P It's just frustrating having to put up with this. It's not something I can avoid, everyday I have to put up with it, and it's not just a small thing any more, my life has changed because of it, most days are just a struggle to get through.

Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this? or at least, find some way of being ok with it? Any help is appreciated, thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Annoying sounds. - April 27th 2013, 07:14 PM

Hi Alex,
I have the same problem but it's for when people yawn and don't cover their mouth. It gives me shortness of breathing and start to panic like I'm deprived of air. I'm not sure if it's the same for you with the sounds people make, but I can think of two ways to deal with it. 1. tell the person. Ask them nicely and laugh it off and be light about it.
2. change your reaction to it. try to take deep breathes, try to ignore it, distract yourself from the noises.
I know it's easier said than done as I'm someone who has trouble ignoring things but it's a start. Maybe practicing meditation exercises when you're alone can help because then you can do it while the noise is happening. I haven't tried it, but it's something I want to do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Annoying sounds. - April 29th 2013, 06:56 AM

For me it's more like a flash of anger through my head, my palms get sweaty and my heart beats faster, like a panic. All I can do is move away. I've never tried any sort of meditation before haha, I've never been good at controlling these sorts of things, I just don't know how to meditate in the right way :S Do you think it could work?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Annoying sounds. - April 29th 2013, 04:45 PM

Hi Alex

I get annoyed with certain sounds, too. Like, people's feet shuffling on concrete floor or the sounds of utensils scraping the plates.

I think removing yourself from the situation as you have stated you do is a good idea. Just remember that you can't do it all the time. If you can't leave the situation, I suggest telling yourself that the noises will be over quickly, and coughing, etc. is a natural thing to do.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Annoying sounds. - April 29th 2013, 05:14 PM

I've got a similar problem. It's random though, rarely any specific sounds that people make. People... or anything for that matter. It depends on my mood, how tired I am, what I'm doing and how hard I'm trying to concentrate. And also depends on how hungry I am, I think.

It's probably not the same problem as yours at all though.

The most MOST MOST effective way to piss me off with sounds and noises is when I'm trying to sleep. I've gotten pretty huge "rage attacks" several times when that's happened. I just don't have the self control when I'm trying to "turn myself off". It happens in response to things like people banging on doors, breaking glass outside, aggressive shouting outside, loud music... etc.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; April 29th 2013 at 09:46 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Alex95 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Annoying sounds. - April 29th 2013, 05:52 PM

Yeah I find it very hard to just 'not think about it' or ignore it, it's just so bad there's nothing I can think to myself to get rid of it. Thinking 'Oh it's only natural, everyone does it' does nothing for me, at the moment the only thing that can help is for me to leave the room for a few minutes, maybe listen to some music for a while so I calm down.

Closed Thread