TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 27th 2013, 11:09 PM

Was walking home just now and on the road near my house found a man's wallet - no cash in it but his bank card, library card, medical card and public service card (??) are all in it, so I'm guessing he'd want it back asap. Had a vague look for his name on FB but to no avail. There's not exactly a local police station in the immediate area - if I dropped it into the post office tomorrow could I be sure that they'd contact him?? Or is there something else I should do?? The nearest garda (police) station is over a mile away and in a different town but would that be best??

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 27th 2013, 11:12 PM

How about bringing to the library or bank? Is it nearby? The best thing to do would be to bring it to the police, but since they are so far away...

However, that's not to say they won't be able to trace him. Someone stole my wallet a few years ago in a town I was at half an hour away for basketball. They managed to track me down and inform me about it based on the addressed shown on my identification card.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 27th 2013, 11:21 PM

Well there's no address or contact info, only name and month of birth, so I'm not sure how they'd contact him... but unless they traced him from his PPS number (social security number) on the card?? I'd just like to know it had gotten back safely to him, I know how stressful it is to lose a wallet. I wish I could get in touch with him myself jsut to let him know it's safe.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 27th 2013, 11:37 PM

The post office should be able to get it back to him. You can ask them, and if they can't, take it to the police office.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 28th 2013, 06:12 AM

I think you should carry it to the post office.

Oh and I'd like to thank you for this. I know it's not my wallet but it makes me smile knowing people care about this! Lol, usually when you lose something important, nobody will put this much effort into getting it back to you. I think you're really awesome for this!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 28th 2013, 09:21 AM

I agree, take it to the post office and see if they can get it back to the guy who lost it, if not then I'd probably say going to the police station is the best option. Even if it's in a different town, the guy could possibly go and check anyway if he wants his wallet back.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Found someone's wallet...what's the safest way to get it back? - April 28th 2013, 07:24 PM

I'm echoing what everyone else is saying here, but I'd say you should drop it into the post office first, and if you don't get anything from that, go to the guards with it (provided your locality hasn't had its Garda Station reduced to a portacabin due to cutbacks).
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
Closed Thread