TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 01:53 AM

Just a quick question. I recently got a new pair of earbuds. My mother gets unreasonably angry because I cannot hear her when I'm using them. I have tried to explain that of I could hear her, the earbuds wouldn't be worth what I paid, but somehow she doesn't get it. I tried to compromise, but she refused. So my question is, Is it really too much to ask to request that she get my attention some other way than talking, such as tapping me on the shoulder?

Thank you for your time.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 09:28 AM

Ah, the battle of headphones . They are designed so that you can hear your music world and not worry about the world around you! Of course it is not too much to ask to have your mother get your attention some other way but I guess it depends who you're dealing with .

I used to get this all the time in high school when my teacher would ask me to take them out and I am like, "dude, I can hear you perfectly" and they are like "dude, it's rude just to have them in at the time". And then in other classes, they are fine with it . Sometimes it is considered rude to have them in in the presence of your Mum, that's her opinion, her request, and as much as it sucks, you have to respect that....

For examples I never have my headphones in when my mother is awake or in the home because if the phone rings or if she needs me somehow, it's rude to get no response (my study is downstairs so she can't see me). But when my mother goes to sleep, I am like "pump it up" .

I personally love music with headphones but sometimes it is considered rude, with some people and you have to be respectful, at least when she's when she's around...... but wait. My mum's asleep .

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 12:56 PM

In those cases or when I am with friends I will always leave 1 out (usually the one in my dominant ear. ie. right) so I can hear them perfectly but still have my tunes!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 01:14 PM

My mom gets so annoyed with me and my brother always having earbuds on. My brother keeps one earbud in one ear and leaves the other one out so he can still hear when someone talks. Maybe you could do that?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 03:22 PM

I do think if she knows you have ear buds in and can't hear you, she should get your attention another way but as said, you can always have just one in so you can hear her and your music.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 04:57 PM

Personally, I don't think it would be too much to ask of her to get your attention in a way other than talking, but you could try the one-in, one-out method that everyone else has suggested.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 10:23 PM

I have a similar issue - my mum has learned that if I do not reply its beacuase I have headphones plugged in and am listening to music and can simply not hear her. She now comes into my room and tells me I hear her remove them and ask her to repeat it again. Mum knows I use mine to block everything out. Sometimes though it does not work. Tricky situation.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Earbuds - May 1st 2013, 10:49 PM

I agree with leaving one in and one out. My mom gets annoyed at me for listening to music all the time.. so do teachers. However, a lot of them don't care as much if I have one in one out.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Earbuds - May 2nd 2013, 01:12 PM

You can either do what was already suggested by leaving on ear bud out, or maybe if you see your mom walking in to the room you can lower the volume just enough so you'll be able to hear her speaking to you, and then you can turn the volume right back up to where you had it before. I know that when I have my ear buds in when I'm in the car my mom taps my knee or makes a motion to hear ears in order to let me know she's talking, so maybe you can ask her to do one of those things again.

Closed Thread