TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Staff Application - May 6th 2013, 06:00 PM

There's always been one question on the application form which has bugged me:

"What is your current self-esteem?"

I honestly don't see how it's relevant. How does feeling good about yourself determine whether or not you can make others feel good about themselves? So I guess my question is, what information does this give to the powers that be?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Staff Application - May 6th 2013, 06:09 PM

Charli, I've always wondered that myself!

I guess maybe they want staff in a better place emotionally to help more than those who aren't, perhaps worried the ones with low self-esteem would give off a bad vibe or give bad advice?

Really have no idea, but if that's the case, it's a little unfair nonetheless.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Staff Application - May 6th 2013, 06:36 PM

interesting you bring this up...a few days ago I was about to apply for staff but when I came to that question...well I if I was going to be honest, I do have a low self esteem and ended up not completing the application :P

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Staff Application - May 6th 2013, 08:16 PM

I would strongly encourage you to join Staff; please don't let one question put you off - it's an immensely rewarding thing to do.

Obviously I don't actually know the exact reason (though Talent and/or PCs should), but I'd imagine they can use your self-evaluation to compare with your posts, blog posts, etc., and the rest of your application. I would have to say that I'm generally less-motivated and don't give advice as well when my self-esteem is lower than usual, though, so I guess it might affect an application if you say "1".

All of the above, though, is not at all an official line, just me guessing.

Be honest, though, and do please apply.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Staff Application - May 9th 2013, 06:52 PM

I think my self esteem is 2 or 3 What if I don't give good advice because of that
I will be starting counseling soon though, so I am working on improving but in the meantime...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Staff Application - May 9th 2013, 07:55 PM

I can imagine it's to do with how you interact with other people when you have lower/higher self-esteem. People with lower self-esteem might be less likely to show as much encouragement, support or positivity towards other people who are going through problems.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Staff Application - May 9th 2013, 08:08 PM

I have pretty low-self esteem myself, so I might have...ahem...told a little white lie on the application form...nah, not really. If anything, my self-esteem tends to fluctuate; one day it could be a 7, the next it could be a 3 or 4. I don't find that having self-esteem issues affects the advice I give, though sometimes I end up comparing my posts to other people's posts, which doesn't end well. I actually think that helping people out boosts my self-esteem, and it can be beneficial in more than one way in that sense.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Staff Application - May 9th 2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
I can imagine it's to do with how you interact with other people when you have lower/higher self-esteem. People with lower self-esteem might be less likely to show as much encouragement, support or positivity towards other people who are going through problems.

This is correct. The ideal staff candidate will have medium or high self-esteem. Applicants should have a relatively sturdy interior shell in order to handle and respond to very triggering content, as well as a variety of topics. A certain amount of self-esteem is also required to have the confidence that you *are* giving good advice, not second guessing yourself etc.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Staff Application - May 10th 2013, 12:03 AM

I honestly don't know why that question is on primary/entry-level staff applications (even though I'm the Volunteering Officer, I've never served on the Talent Committee and never helped create those application questions). If I had to take a guess, though, I'd say it's there for one big reason: to determine how stable a potential staff member will be. If someone has low self-esteem, then you have to wonder what's going on in their life. Are they suffering from a major depressive disorder, an anxiety disorder, or another mental illness? Are they dealing with abuse at home, at school, at work, or within a platonic/romantic relationship? Someone who is experiencing a great deal of difficulty outside of TeenHelp may need to request a lot of time off from staff... and that makes them a less promising candidate in the long run. Should this one question rule out a potential staff member? Absolutely not! As stated previously, a person's self-esteem can fluctuate greatly. If they're giving themselves a very low mark, though, AND they're giving answers that aren't very appropriate... well, you'd have to wonder if they're ready to become a staff member. A therapist needs to work on their own issues before they can become an effective therapist. While staff members are far from being trained professionals, they CAN experience counter-transference that affects their ability to carry out their duties on TeenHelp. Ideally, they'll receive a great deal of support from other staff members (and the community as a whole)... but if they're really, truly not in a good place mentally/emotionally, then it's probably best for them to wait a while before trying to apply for staff.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Staff Application - May 10th 2013, 01:37 PM

Thank you for the fabulous replies, lovelies.
I guess it makes more sense now

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Staff Application - May 10th 2013, 11:23 PM

Yeah I've never understood that question either. Then again when I applied to staff my self esteem was pretty low. It didn't stop me getting onto staff - if anything I would say since being on staff my self esteem has risen and so has my confidence. I wouldn't let that one question put you off applying there's more to you than how you rate your current self esteem level on an application form!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread