TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 12:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

A lot of us have scars. Some are surgical scars whilst others are self-inflicted. What's the story behind your scar or scars as an individual or as a group (single scar vs group of scars)??

I'll tell you about some of mine.

The biggest scar I have is right below my chest, and it's an upside down V shape. I was born with a heart deformity and I had a series of operations from birth until two. At one point, I had an assistive device in my chest.

The next scar I have is just a few centimeters below the one I just mentioned. I'm a bit embarrased (though not as much as another scar, will mention) because I lifted my shirt up to my bra once around friends and I wasn't thinking, so someone began making fun, saying I had two belly-buttons. >_< anyways, it's a feeding-tube scar, I was given one for a few months after I was born.

I have another scar on my right big toe, no idea what it's from! also have one at the base of my right hand, don't know what that's from either!

The last of my surgical scars are a twin one right above my upper lips. Also from a birth defect.

The next scar isn't surgical though surgery has left a mark there. It's right on the base of my right thumb at the palm. A piece of glass went through there and damaged a majority of tendons and nerves. Plus it left a hole a few millimeters wide.

The final scar is... Now this is embarassing. It's my only self-inflicted scar, but it's nearly invisible. Under certain angles of light and up close, it's visible. I was really depressed towards graduating from high school among other things, that I took to my wrist with a staple opened up. There were lots of pinkish marks, but only one tiny spot was deep and bled. That's the scar I have today, eight years later.

I also picked for a few years but, amazingly, I have no scars! Or they're too small to even be seen.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 01:07 AM

I cannot count my scars, but they all tell the same story.

What's more interesting is the bump running vertically along my occipital bone - my skull was fractured in February 1999, when I was 10, due to an accident, and you can still feel where the bone has healed to be thicker than it was originally. I believe it can also be seen if you look closely when my head is shaved.

But yeah, all the scars I have that other people would notice are self-harm scars.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 01:23 AM

Almost all of my scars are self-inflicted. I cannot count all of them; they're risen, white, and purplish.

I have one that's about six inches long going up along my stomach. That was a burn I gave myself on Christmas.

I have a lot of words, like: Freak, hate, suicide, fatass, things of that nature. On my leg I have suicide carved there along with "You think I'm happy but I'm hiding behind a smile."

On my arm, I have a faint scar from the first burn I made

I have self-ham scars on my chest.

I have a scar from an oven burn.

I have scars from cutting myself on the bottom of my feet - that's how desperate I was to swim and still be able to harm myself last summer.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 01:39 AM

I have a scar on my ankle from a deep scrape. Kinda stupid story actually, but I was using a skip-it as a kid, did it too many times, & bam, skin peeling off.

I also have a scar on my wrist, not self-inflicted. I dropped a ceramic bowl, it broke, I cleaned it up, noticed about five minutes later that my arm was covered in blood from a cut on my wrist.

I had one above my lip at one point, from being kicked in the pool or something & it got cut on my braces. But that's faded over the years.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 01:53 AM

...Hm, alright. I see why this is in general, just because some of us have scars from SH doesn't mean it only belongs to SH.
Okay, so I guess I'll go.

Hm... I have a dot on my leg, a scar from getting a staff infection :/

A weird raised dot on my hand from stabbing my hand with a safety pin.... I don't even know....

The infinity sign on my left arm... barely even recognizable anymore... I still see it there though.... cut in January of 2012. This was actually my second time self-harming, after the one under this in 2011, the infinity sign basically was... my forever depression, forever alone, forever going to love the guy that I had previously kissed, thus causing drama....

the X on my left hand, cut in November 2011, after I was rejected by my crush, then Honor Choir, then another crush who said he liked me and then changed his mind....

Three vertical lines on my right arm, cut April 2012, wasn't really trying to kill myself I just.... I don't know....

Any other, maybe, 100 scars on my two arms, cut between January-November 2012, the deepest being in November, after the drama of breaking up with my ex and then... kissing my best friends boyfriend... lots of shit....

"I'm Fine", on my hip, May 2012, after they started going out...

"Mad", on my hip, May 2012, for being so addicted to SH,

"Fail", on my waist, May 2012, for practically failing 8th Grade and letting everyone down...

"Pathetic", on my waist, June 2012, because I stupidly started liking the guy who rejected me in the first place, I sort of got led on....

Several on my legs, stomach, breasts, etc, February-April 2012

"Fake", on my hip, December 2012, for being... me...

Three horizontal lines on my lower hip, February-March 2013, because of my nightmares, and suicide plans....

Burns on my arm, March 2012, and one from last week, May 2013, last week because of how numb I was... am....

....hm.... I think that's it..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Sunnieshine Offline
I, myself, am imperfect
Average Joe

Name: Sunnie

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 04:21 AM

Hmm...I have a lot..so I guess i;ll just list a few.
-A scar that looks like a sunrise from where I fell on the edge of a table and sliced it open, needing 10 stitches.
-F^ck up on my left hip...yeah....
-A red, raised scar from when I cut myself after my sister died.
-Several faded dots from where I stabbed myself with a pen. I was feeling worthless after my mom was finished yelling at me.
-Worthless across my right waist. Again, my mom had me believing her lies.
-A scar on my chest from where I was cut by a girl who attacked my with a piece of glass.
-A burn on my arm from where a friend burnt me with a lighter.
-Not sure what it is, but it's a scar from when I put salt on my arm then put an ice cube on top. The skin kind of just peeled off. (I didn't know at the time what it did....I should probablyget some new friends )
And last but not least, one running from my ankle to me mid thigh where I was in an ATV accident and sliced it open with barb wire.

I am perfectly imperfect, beautiful in my flaws, chaotic, fearless...a beautiful disaster.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 07:33 PM

I have quite a few self inflicted scars and I don't really feel like describing or explaining them. But it's basically my way of distracting myself, calming myself down, and coping in general. I have a few eczema related ones but those are light. There are a few acne scars. I have one on my right hand, but only I know it's there because it blends in really well with the blotches I have on my hands. I don't know how it happened, I was sitting in science in 6th grade, at the lab but not doing anything yet, and I suddenly have a pain on my hand. Then a couple of very faint ones on my knees. In gym class in middle school I'd fall and get a lot of wood burn.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 07:47 PM

-A small, dent-like scar on my forehead. I think I ran into something at my nan's house when I was two or three.
-The remains of a gash on my shin. I fell on the rocks when visiting the seaside in County Kerry. I was eight, I believe.
-A vertical self-inflicted scar on my left arm. I would be breaking the ToS if I explained any further.
-Many self-inflicted scars along my wrists. None of them have any distinct stories in particular, but they're a collection of tales from a spell of loneliness, bullying and depression.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 08:15 PM

Scars on my arms and wrists to remind me of how much of a freak I am, and how I don't belong in this world, or anywhere for that matter.

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: They tell a story... - May 18th 2013, 08:43 PM

On my chest, from a surgery I don't want to go into details in that one...

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
.Sunnieshine Offline
I, myself, am imperfect
Average Joe

Name: Sunnie

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 01:48 AM

Oh, and my feet are scarred really bad from 3rd degree burn from when I stuck my feet in our fireplace when I was about 3.

I am perfectly imperfect, beautiful in my flaws, chaotic, fearless...a beautiful disaster.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 02:14 AM

all over my face...self inflicted from picking and not letting it heal.
on my feet, ankles and lower legs also from picking. On my arms from picking. My upper legs from cutting...but they're fading now. A burn on my left thumb while cooking...one on my left index finger, I was playing with my cat this game we made up with an avocado peel and it was a complete accident, he hooked his claws in my finger instead of the avocado peel.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 03:09 AM

I have a few interesting ones.

-Scar on my inner lip from a 9mm pistol slide. I was 6 years old and couldn't hold the gun properly lol, kickback got me.
-Scar on my index finger from a carving knife, missing fingertip print on middle finger from a "safety" razor
-Scar on my thigh from intentional cutting
-Indent on my palm from dog bite, ~15 years ago

Damn, now the police can identify me :/

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 09:20 AM

I have quite a few self-inflicted scars with different stories behind each of them. I do have one scar on my leg that I think I've had since I was about 10. Long story short, I was being stupid with some friends and I ate shit. I don't even think I realized I was bleeding at the time, but the scar is still there from it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 08:38 PM

I have a few scars from SH, which don't really have a story other than they were what I did to myself.
I have one for chicken pox? The story being...I scratched it.
I have one from when I was born because they had to use tong thingies to get me out or something. I don't know.
I also have a scar on my finger. I asked for a pair of scissors in like year one, and my friend tried to show me how to use them and snipped my finger open pretty badly!

I Don't have a lot of interesting stories.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: They tell a story... - May 20th 2013, 09:32 PM

Most of my scars are from self harm, and self inflicted injuries whether that be from cutting or picking. I have a scar on my elbow from where I fell off a horse and grazed my elbow quite badly. Most of my scars are on my arms, legs and thighs. All are self injury scars or self inflicted ones. I have a scar on my upper arm from where I was given a vaccination at school against tetanus, TB, and polio and a couple of other things school vaccinate against.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: They tell a story... - May 22nd 2013, 09:20 PM

Is it weird that I like it when I get a scar from a pet? It probably is weird, but I like having a permanent reminder of my pets on my body- I have three marks on my hand from when my cat clawed me and a scar on my elbow from when my dog tripped me by the pool. At the time, I of course wasn't happy about the injuries but when I get over it a little while later I have a fond feeling towards them. I guess the hand and elbow scars are my most "interesting" ones because of the stories behind them.
I have a scar from when I got surgery when I was.... eight or nine, approximately. I have SH scars and stuff, but I don't really remember individual stories about most of them.

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

Closed Thread