TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 3rd 2013, 06:54 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

Warning, sad.

Not triggering, just sad .

Anyways, one of the biggest emotions for me, something which triggers a lot of energy in me, is the feeling of safety and security . The thought that no matter what happens to me during the day, I can come home and cuddle into a blanket and play Fifa 11, and I am safe at the end of the day .

Especially when I am walking home in the dark. I hate walking home in the dark, it is freezing, it's dangerous and when I get home, I am happy as anything . BUT some people don't have that luxury of coming home at the end of the day.

For a couple of months, I have been walking to and from home, the same route that I have been for a couple of years now, and seen this guy, near the bus depot, MASSIVE foot traffic, he just sits there, with an electric guitar, a miniature amplifier, and some cardboard, waiting for a donation. He is obviously busking, begging, and he has worn the same clothes for a couple of months. He just waits there, barefooted, for a small amount of coins, every time I see him, that he has next to him

Normally I see this dude in the morning but the other day I saw him there on a rainy winter night . It was absolutely freezing cold and sprinkling down, and there he was, waiting for a donation. The peak hour train had come and there were stacks of people, but they were all just going past him .

I mean this can't be happening in Sydney, in Australia, but over 100,000 people in Australia are homeless and this dude is one of them. I have never approached him, I don't know his name, but I feel sorry for this dude .

So what do I do about it? I normally don't have much cash on me at all, so I can't give him some coins or something? I don't want to approach him myself because every time I see him, he is sort of grunting to himself, and muttering, so I am kind if apprehensive to talk to him.... I COULD go to the cop shop, but what would you guys do?

I mean this is serious, he has no clothes, he has been wearing the same stuff for two months, he has no cash, we are in the middle of winter, assaults happen all the time here, I mean something has to be done but what if anything?

If you see someone who's homeless, what should you do? It happens all the time, I see it every day, so CAN I do anything? I do understand that I can't help 100,000, but yeah, what do I do? What would you guys do? .

Should I tell someone every time I see someone like this because there are many homeless people in Sydney, they'll literally need the entire NSW Police force to help .

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 3rd 2013, 09:01 AM

Hiya, Hamed!

Firstly, I want to commend you for taking the time to help this person. Being homeless is scary, and people who are homeless don't get a whole lot of sympathy, which certainly doesn't help, so it's nice to see others taking action!

Just wondering, are there any homelessness charities or other not-for-profit organisations in your area that could help him? I know of charities in my city that help prevent people becoming homeless, and offer support to those that are, even providing accommodation if necessary. If such charities or organisations exist in the area, you could contact one of them.

You could contact the police, but I'm not sure what exactly they would do. I know the police force here don't do a whole lot to combat homelessness, but it might be different elsewhere.

Anyways, best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

(P.S. Get a newer FIFA game, 11 is way too retro. )
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 3rd 2013, 06:36 PM

I've given money to the homeless a few times, but it generally isn't a great idea, especially if they are addicted to drugs. Plus, if another homeless person notices you giving a large sum of money, they may simply rob the guy later. If the person is approachable, I'd recommend taking them out to a fast food joint, getting them lunch or clothes or a cot, etc. Then, you may even learn a bit about their lifestyle and reason for being homeless.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 4th 2013, 10:47 AM

Hi,

I have this problem in my town. Lots of homeless people. It's sad. What you could do is find the address of a shelter or refuge and write it on a piece of paper for them and give it to them. That way they have the address of a shelter they can go to where they can have a hot meal and be helped ?

That you are still helping them just not giving them money.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 4th 2013, 01:39 PM

I have this problem too in NYC. People even come on the trains and beg on my way to school. I don't have anything, therefore don't bring with me anything. I pack my lunch from home so I don't even bring money for lunch.
Sometimes I think if I had something I'd give, but then again I'm not sure either. I wouldn't want to be supporting anyone's addiction, you know? But I agree, it is sad and heartbreaking. You're not alone in feeling sad about this. Sometimes the people begging would say they accept food, in which case, if I could I might buy some food. What's so frustrating is that these people need so much, from food to shelter, to a job to everything we consider basic. So if I give I'd want to give with a wholeheart, something that can really help them. If it's money and they spend it on drugs or alcohol it will only hurt them. Then again, you don't know for certain, and it's not right to assume things. I'm a bit conflicted in the situation. My high school teacher of french class made this thing where if you needed to borrow supplies from her you had to pay 10 cents to borrow and she'd give the money to someone homeless.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 8th 2013, 07:52 PM

Hai Hamed

I can understand how you feel. You can use your emotions constructively in this case.

Like others have said, they could be drug addicts and you might not want to support their drug addiction. I don't know if you have seen Slumdog Millionaire but the thing is, whatever that movie has shown, it is completely true. It is something that has happened in my country and is one of the reason we don't prefer to help the homeless and the beggars with money.

Again, like everyone has said, you can look into the homeless shelters around your town and talk to them and get to know how they work and how you can help this person through them.

Another thing that you can do is, with the help of the people around you like your neighbours, fellow students etc collect some warm clothes and blankets etc and you can give these to homeless shelters who need it. They can give it to the people who need it. You can also give it to homeless people on your own but in that case there is always the risk of them selling it off for money. It will require some extra effort to find someone who'll use it in the right way.

Helping a homeless person can be tricky because they may not be open to it. You can try to get to know this person, cook him lunch sometime, have it together. It can be dangerous though, so be careful.
At the same time you can learn about a nearby homeless shelter who can help that person on a bigger level because you can't do much alone. Basically you can connect him with that place.

I hope that this helps.
Good luck!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#7 (permalink)) Old
owlcity:) Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jennifer

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 19th 2013, 04:00 PM

When I went to Denver I noticed homeless people and it was sad.. and they would smile or look at me and
I agree with everyone's comments. My grandpa and us once met this guy and he asked for money. When he said no but I'll take you out for food he said no.. but another time someone said yes.
so maybe if you hear about a shelter you could tell them about it or give a flyer?
I think it's really good that you want to help. ))
Good luckzz.

<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: What Would You Guys Do? (Homelessness). - June 19th 2013, 04:36 PM

I'll help him get a shelter and maybe, untill he gets a shelter, he could reside in my house untill then

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
Closed Thread