TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

A murder in town - June 21st 2013, 08:46 PM

Recently a 13 year old girl in our small town was murdered. We're a pretty small community (only 200 in my graduating class) so when anything big happens everyone knows it. A few years ago a young man was murdered, and while that was very upsetting, I find myself even more distressed over this recent incident.

She was killed by her boyfriend, or ex if I'm correct. He was about 16. He raped her, then stabbed her 30-70 times in front of other kids their age, attempted to burn his clothes and run them over with a lawn mower. The girl's father found his daughter dead.

It's one of those stories you think you'll only ever hear on a Dateline show, and that it'll never happen to your community. I didn't know anyone involved, but it's just so incredibly upsetting. I guess because I never thought it WOULD happen. I guess it's because it wasn't just a killing that had to do with gangs or drugs or money, like we've seen in the past. It was a murder out of anger-- passion I guess is what some would call it.

But it reminds me that there are bad people in the world. It reminds me that not all crimes are justified, like if someone stole something. I don't want to label quick killings as not as bad or something-- the kind where someone is just stabbed or shot once and then left, because those seem to be less premeditated (I guess). I don't really know how to explain how I'm feeling. It's just really distressing, and I pray that the families of both kids can be strong.

They are trying to get the boy tried as an adult. This happened about a week ago, so we haven't had any solid news yet on the verdict or anything. We don't know when the trial is.

Everyone in town is shaken. It normally doesn't enter my mind until someone mentions it or until I lay down to go to bed. Then I think about it and get angry and sad and depressed.

I guess I'm grappling with the fact that the world isn't always a good place. I just want to know that it is (at least most of the time), and that this one event has just really unfortunate and that there is still plenty of good things in the world.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: A murder in town - June 21st 2013, 09:24 PM

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened in your small town. Unfortunately, these things can happen anywhere. I don't want to jinx anything, but I believe the only place where nothing has happened is on the continent of Antartica.

Anyways, it's really too bad what happened to that girl. She did not deserve to die at such a young age, and especially not that way.

I'll be thinking of her family and friends, as well as you, during this difficult time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: A murder in town - June 21st 2013, 11:27 PM

I'm really to hear that you and your town have had to experience that. I know from experience that when something like this happens, it unsettles a lot of people and really makes you question humanity. Recently there was a murder of someone a similar age near me and it got to a lot of people who invested time and effort into finding out what was going on. I want you to know though, that these things can bring people together and strengthen what good you all as a community have in you. You are all going through this together. There will no doubt be memorials set up for the victim, and chances to show your respect and this can help. Obviously you will be devestated by what has happened, and nobody would expect any less than that, but remember that this was only a one off. The majority are still good people and the person who did this WILL get what he deserves.

If you need to talk at all, feel free to shoot me a message. <3

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: A murder in town - June 23rd 2013, 06:55 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear such a tragic incident has occurred in your town. I'll be keeping the poor girl and her family in my thoughts.

I agree that when something like this happens it can bring a community together. I live in a city, and we've had more than our fair share of murders over the years, but it seems that whenever something like this happens, everyone is brought closer together. [possibly triggering] I remember one particular case a few years back where a young man was killed by a notorious gang in a case of mistaken identity. I knew his family well enough, and it was very hard for them. But his memory lived on. They set up a charity in his name, and fundraising still goes on to this day. They help prevent young people from getting involved in gang activities, and, you know, every little bit helps, especially if it prevents another family going through such a heartbreak.

My point is, something positive can come out of this. Like Hollie said, it will bring you all together. The family of the young man I mentioned above were able to get through it with the tremendous support of the people in the area.

Gone but not forgotten. My condolences go out to all affected. Stay strong.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: A murder in town - June 23rd 2013, 10:04 PM

Hey there,

Yes, this world can be not a great place and things can happen, but also remember those good times the world has done. I mean, instead of thinking about negative impacts others have done that has affect others around, think about people that have impacted their own communities and population all around with that they have accomplished; those are really good to have.

Now, I'm not sure if you know a man named, "Fredrick Banting"? He is a Canadian who saved many lives because he found something that can save others from Type 1 diabetes, who can't produce insulin. That, in itself is amazing. Insulin is used worldwide now for many many people who need it. I always think of those kinds of people, who have done great to our world, not only to our families and friends or communities, but the world.

There will be bad people out there, good or bad; it's the world we live in. Instead of thinking that this is horrible, and not saying it is, but maybe you need to think about others who have impacted greatly on your community and surrounding areas with good things and accomplishments.

What this teenager did, what lead up to this- isn't anyone's worry as to all those why's people ask, it is very traumatic for that to happen in a small community or anywhere else for that matter, I am guessing he is in custody, so he wont hurt anyone and that said, he is most likely receiving professional help. I understand your worry, but good or bad people can also do either good or bad things.

Have you thought about talking to someone how you feel and how it's affecting your sleep? This may help collect your thoughts and feelings of how this has affected you.

I wanted to say something and not to be on anyone's side, but to put things into a different perspective. The teenage boy, his own family and surrounding family; no doubt are in shock and dealing with a lot, they may or may not be harrassed or treated badly by the public, neighbors, friends, peers, etc., of what had happened. You said you live in a small community so this may be harder for everyone, the parents of this boy, their family, friends of the family, and the public.

I do know what you are feeling and saying is what a lot of people are thinking and feeling around you as well that may be similar. Do you have a family member your could talk to about this? A close friend? A teacher? You can also ask their opinion and views on everything that happened last week, would this be an idea?

Please be safe.

Chantal

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: A murder in town - June 24th 2013, 02:44 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about this. Like people have said, it can bring everyone together. A few months ago, one of my classmates was murdered. Everyone seemed to get pretty close and take things a lot more seriously. My heart goes out to everyone in your area.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread