TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 9th 2013, 12:03 AM

Do you think they're a part of our subconscious and mean something or do you think they're meaningless crap our brain produces?

Just wondering what other people think. I've been having a lot of weird dreams lately

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1045502 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 9th 2013, 12:12 AM

I think it can be a bit of both. Some dreams are just out there and meaningless, like I had a dream that I was at some weird prom and I have no idea what that could even mean. But then some dreams probably relate to things you're going through in real life, like if you dream about relationships and you've been confused about a relationship or something (bad example I know).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 9th 2013, 11:03 AM

There are many theories about dreams and their significance, and some of these theories have been proven.

For instance, scientists have found that in non-R.E.M (non-Rapid Eye Movement) sleep the brain is pretty inactive and you are sleeping pretty deeply, and people report having "boring" dreams in this time. They reckon that these boring dreams are mostly about things we already know or have done, and is just reinforcing it whilst we sleep by "practicing" these situations to anchor it in your memory, e.g. if you spent the day shopping, you might dream about endlessly paying for items at the till- reinforcing the fact that when you go shopping, you need to pay for things.

However in R.E.M (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, when the brain is most active (usually at the end of the sleep cycle, just before you wake up), people report having the most vivid, "weird", or "interesting" dreams. Scientists think that when you have these dreams involving crazy situations, the brain is letting you experiment with situations that have not yet come up in real life. These dreams could often be life-threatening, so it is like your brain is conducting a dry-run - allowing you to experience the situation and practice ways to deal with it without any consequences or ever being in any danger- so if it did ever come up in real life you would have sort of prepared for it.

So dreams are useful in those senses, making us potentially more successful at survival by practicing real-life in our sleep. They could also be useful for problem solving, finding connections between things that our conscious and awake brain is incapable of doing.

A study in 2004 has shown that our brain is much better at solving puzzles if people are allowed to take a nap halfway through. The study involved a group of people to find links between two sets of numbers. One group was allowed to nap, the other group wasn't. They found that the people who napped solved the puzzle 60% of the time, whilst those that didn't nap only solved it 25% of the time. In another study those who had a nap between sessions solved 40% more puzzles than those that didn't nap. Dmitri Mendeleev famously discovered how to structure the periodic table of the elements in a dream, after months of trying to figure it out whilst awake.

Dreams are also very useful at processing emotions that we can't handle whilst awake, giving our emotions a narrative and trying to work through it, I guess that links into Freud somehow.

Freud is probably the most famous for exploring dream interpretation, he believed that dreams were largely exploring hidden desires, often sexual, lurking in the sub-conscious. It is true that dreams often feature things in your sub-conscious, but now they are rarely about sex. Because Freud grew up in a time where sex was taboo, it was the kind of thing that people kept hidden, therefore sometimes they would dream about it. Nowadays sex is much less taboo and people don't really hide it, in fact most things are now not considered taboo so people feel a lot less repressed and trapped, and so don't bury things in their sub-conscious so much.

But of course maybe some dreams are completely meaningless.
  Send a message via Skype™ to lurkalot 
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 9th 2013, 11:26 PM

I think that some dreams are very significant, while others are just a bunch of crazy garbage.

I have often had dreams about certain scenarios that ended up coming true, and once I had dream that was just of an image of a lake with lots of people and a lifeguard tower. There were more details to it that I can't recall now. A few weeks later, we went to that EXACT SAME lake, and I saw the same image from my dream. It was really weird.

I've also had dreams about certain sensations or emotions that I had never had before, and then when I actually had that experience (which was a weird coincidence in itself), it felt exactly as it had in the dream.

And then of course, I've had those random weird dreams about who knows what. Those are nice too.

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 10th 2013, 01:41 AM

I think there are some dreams that can have significant meaning. I'm not saying that my dreams solve my problems, but there have been times when dreams have made things make sense for me. I think part of that might be the fact that it's all my subconscious, without me doing that wonderful catastrophizing thing that I always do. I think dreams can also reveal some things to us that we might not catch on to when we're awake. That being said, I've also had some dreams that made me wonder how my brain came up with them. So, I definitely don't think all dreams are meaningful.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 10th 2013, 05:54 AM

Dreams are manifestations/exaggerations of things that are on our minds/happening in our current lives. They do not have any "profound" meaning, such as predicting the future or providing "true" insight into a situation. Any college level general psych class will teach you this.

I used "true" because if you're thinking a lot about something and then dream about it or a way you dealt with it, the dream didn't happen in ORDER to provide you with the answer, it happened because this situation was influencing you enough to appear in your dreams in some manner.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 10th 2013, 10:11 AM

Some people say that it's a way of us seeing into the future. But dreams are really experiences that you have had. Maybe in another life form, or one you've had yourself. By no means is it telling the future. It's mainly just what we're seeing from our past. And if there are people in your dream that you have not seen, or recall seeing, then you have. You may not have spoken to them, or known them personally, but they are people you may have passed on the street. So they're figments of your past, using the present you, with people that you have seen sometime in your life x

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 10th 2013, 02:28 PM

About dreams telling the future- we dream a lot, and occasionally something that we dream will happen in real life, leading us to believe we predicted the future- when really we dream all kinds of things that never happened, and just latch on to that one thing that did happen. Believing that a dream has predicted something we often distort the original dream/"prediction" to fit what actually happened and think that it is magic. For instance you could have a very vague dream about say, going to a castle, that you don't recognise. Then some time later you end up actually going to a castle. The brain likes to make connections with things, so what ends up happening is your mind makes the connection with the dream you had earlier, and suddenly you believe that you have seen or been to that exact castle before, I guess it's a kind of déjà vu, based on that original vague dream which had no distinguishing features other than it was a castle. The vagueness allows your brain to have free-rein on creating whatever it likes (that will turn the vague castle into a carbon copy of the one you saw in real life) so long as it makes connections (brains like to do that).

This doesn't only occur with dreams, but with any vague or half-forgotten memory drifting around in your sub-conscious.
  Send a message via Skype™ to lurkalot 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 13th 2013, 08:22 AM

This is just my opinion, but they defiantly predict the future.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 13th 2013, 09:10 AM

Last night I dreamed me and my boyfriend were getting married. My mum bought he a disgusting grey/brown dress :') it was about 2 sizes to small on me as well. And I was wearing shoes about 4 sizes to big on me. I wonder if they do mean something what would that mean

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
nothereanymore Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 14th 2013, 04:46 AM

I think they could potentially hold personal meaning. Not about predicting the future or giving answers to you or someone else, but personal meaning.
And then some of them leave you going, "Whaaaaat...?" when you wake up

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 14th 2013, 06:14 AM

Ooh thanks for posting this, dreams are my thang. Though Sid already said pretty much what I was thinking, with the REM sleep and all. Although, I think that different dreams can happen at both times. Have you ever had a tid bit of a very intriguing dream and a long, detailed dream about the stupidest thing?
To answer the question, though, I think that some dreams mean something and others are just brain poop, really.
To prove that dreams mean things, my dad once had a dream that meant he would get in a car crash. The next say, his car flipped.
I once had a dream about Heaven. In the dream, it was entirely different from what I imagined. To add to the mystery, I had never read Revelations, which talks about what happens in the end. Things happened in my dream that I later looked up and were in the Bible.
Call that luck?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 14th 2013, 08:47 PM

Yes I think dreams do have meanings. Pay attention to the objects, items, events and colours in the dream also any places and countries and people in the dreams too, everything in the dream can mean something. There are many dream interpretation sites on-line these will help you to interpret your dreams and the meanings of your dreams.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 14th 2013, 09:06 PM

For those who are into dreams, should take a look at dream analysis as well as work by Sigmund Freud relating to the Conscious, Pre-Conscious and the Unconscious mind.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 14th 2013, 09:43 PM

I don't think dreams mean anything,
just our subconscious minds inventing things

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

(#16 (permalink)) Old
tetrahedron Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 16th 2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
For those who are into dreams, should take a look at dream analysis as well as work by Sigmund Freud relating to the Conscious, Pre-Conscious and the Unconscious mind.
I would also look into the writings of the psychologist and mystic C.G. Jung, who looked into the analysis of dreams on a deeper spiritual level. His autobiography Memories, Dreams, Reflections is a fascinating account of his life from his early childhood onwards and includes many descriptions of intense spiritual experiences he had, including very vivid and strange dreams. His other book Dreams focuses more on the analysis of individual dreams including, as far as I remember, some of his patients. Dreams can sometimes predict the future and at other times can be symbolic. A word of warning: dreams may not always mean exactly what they seem to at first sight. If you keep having recurring dreams about a certain person, it may not always mean that person, although it can often be hard to tell. It is true that dreams can be very mysterious but, having read much, I would say that Jung understood more about them than anyone else.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Despair. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: InDiA

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 23rd 2013, 04:21 AM

I think our dreams somewhat do have a reason.

the girl who always seemed unbreakble finally
BROKE
the girl who seemed strong
CRUMBLED
the girl who always laughed
CRIED
the girl who never stopped trying finally
GAVE UP

she let her fake smile fade and as she did a tear rolled down her cheek and she whispered

' i can't do this anymore'

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Kasnec Offline
Escaping the mothership
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 29th 2013, 07:58 AM

I've always found dream theories and opinions interesting. Up until about 6 months ago, I had only random dreams about strangers and situations I had never been in, often being variations on battle and war, from bows and arrows to drones. Recently it's been a mishmash of my subconscious, people I used to know, and things I wasn't aware I was worried about.

I used to know a few people who claimed not to dream. Do you think some people don't, or simply never remember them?

The dream state just before wakening when it seems perfectly logical for the goldfish not to like peeling its own potatoes on the bus. \― Kate Griffin, A Madness of Angels.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 29th 2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasnec View Post
I used to know a few people who claimed not to dream. Do you think some people don't, or simply never remember them?
It is possible not to dream. When we dream even if we forget, many times people will 'know' they had a dream though can't remember what. For people like my mum, she's told me she hasn't ever had a dream in years and that it was because she's never had a good night's rest and because she already has too many worries. I think each person's experience of a dreamless sleep is different and the reasons for them but I do believe they're possible.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 29th 2013, 04:16 PM

This is just me, but I am a STRONG believer that dreams all mean something, to the pinpointed details and everything. I've always been able to remember my dreams, and for the last couple of years, my nightmares. And personally, I will look up what certain objects or actions that were in them mean. Example, it is most common for me, for some reason, to see flames in my nightmares.

"Depending on the context of your dream, to see fire in your dream can symbolize destruction, passion, desire, illumination, purification, transformation, enlightenment, or anger. The dream may be warning you of your dangerous or risky activities. You are literally "playing with fire".
To dream that you are being burned by fire indicates that some issue or situation is burning you up inside."

I used to never think my dreams meant anything, and then last year, I started having reoccurring nightmares, and then this year, they happen EVERY single night, but are usually different, but include a lot of the same things. I started looking up what they could mean, and it changed my whole point of view in a scary way, which probably isn't healthy.... well anyways. Now I have nightmares, and dreams that aren't really nightmares but are still scary to think about. And I just... yeah.... they have to mean something or they wouldn't be happening like this with so much detail and precision. I mean.... people I know are even in them, and they're so fucking realistic.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - July 31st 2013, 01:39 PM

Dreams mean you are asleep. Yep I'm so helpful but that's all I got. I really don't understand dreams. I have the weirdest dreams.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 2nd 2013, 12:48 AM

Not in any kind of spiritual way, no, because I do not believe in any kind of spirituality.I do think it can tell you about yourself though. I think dreams can tell you about your emotional state for example. Not in a "you saw a frog which represents your need to have a fucking shower you slob" kind of way, more of a "Dude you just dreamed about killing yourself, you probably need to get some help" kind of way.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 2nd 2013, 02:28 PM

I am in the middle on dreams. I do think some can represent things and others seem to have no meaning at all. Of course, they could have a deeper meaning that's much more complex than what the dream is presenting you with. Heck, in the last 24 hours I've fallen asleep three times. All three dreams were of being involved in a physical fight with someone. Two of those people I actually really like.

Needless to say I don't think I'm going to be starting any fights anytime soon. However, who knows. Maybe they have a more subconscious meaning! Freud, where are you when I need you?!

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 8th 2013, 12:29 PM

I find a lot of my dreams are anxiety related, where I dream that I'm in a stressful situation and I get more and more worked up, sometimes waking up and having a panic attack.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
CatherineMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 9th 2013, 07:52 AM

Some dreams are just out there and meaningless

(#26 (permalink)) Old
CatherineMay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 9th 2013, 07:52 AM

I think dreams can tell you about your emotional state for example

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 9th 2013, 01:26 PM

I don't think so. I think that something you do in the day can affect your dreams, like if you watched an episode of Friends and you dreamt of Friends, it's connected but I don't believe that your dreams are actually representing something that is happening in your real life unless you directly dream about it.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
ElenDarkwood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 11th 2013, 03:17 PM

Not all of them have a meaning.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Fern Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 13th 2013, 03:53 AM

yes,it is something,i think~~~

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Rhyfelwr Offline
There's a war inside of me.
Not a n00b

Name: Svenja is one :)

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 15th 2013, 08:44 AM

Hey hey! I know, I know, I'm a bit late on this. Sorry.

Anyhows.

Some dreams can be meaningless, yes. Like a bear chasing you through a forest or something, I dunno (Jeesh, that's a bad example, sorry).

But some dreams aren't meaningless at all. I, for example, have dreams that come true. That might sound awesome and all, I don't know, but it's actually quite creepy at times. I dream of a house burning down and some real blurry images of a silhouette of a child, and maybe a few days, weeks, or even months later, there's an article in the news paper of a house that got burned down and a child that was trapped in it.

Of course, that doesn't happen a lot, usually it's absolutely meaningless dreams about me talking to my maths teacher or something, where when it happens, I think, Oh, I dreamed that a while ago. Huh.. I'm sorta used to it by now, but I still get a bit creeped if it's something bad like that house thing that I mentioned before (Yes, that actually happened ).

Anyhows. Rambled on up there, I'm sorry. But what I would say is that all dreams are a mix of the two. It's just real, real hard to distinguish between the two, as well as between reality and fantasy.

Hope I helped!

Rhyfelwr

"Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy - all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside."
- Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Alexisdominique Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lexi

Re: Do you think dreams mean anything? - August 16th 2013, 05:32 AM

In some cases I feel dreams can tell the future.

Closed Thread