TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 04:50 AM

This is just something I've been thinking about lately.

I've been thinking and I've come to the conclusion that there is no free will. My basis for this theory is the fact that everything is caused by something else, Including in our brains. For example people make decisions and perform actions based on stimuli. So no matter what you do, it was based on stimuli and past experiences, like not eating cheesecake because it causes flatulence. Robots do this also. If you think about it, humans are just incredibly complex robots.

I'd appreciate it if you posted your thoughts on this as I'm pretty sure I explained it badly.

Thank you for your time.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 11:10 AM

Personally I believe in destiny, fate, the whole "whatever will be, will be" thing. I think this is largely due to the fact I'm frightened of screwing up, and I don't trust myself to control my entire life- I find it reassuring to believe some other force than my own conscious actions are causing events in my life.

Plus, it feels like magic and mystery, and everyone needs a bit of that in their lives

Take as long as you need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 11:47 AM

I've always thought about this and the two arguments, one being that we really do have free will and the other being that every decision was meant to be made. I've had people criticize me and say 'yeah but sometimes I change my mind!', but what if that was always the way? What if even if you change your mind right at the last second, you were always supposed to do that? Or, if you were going to change your mind but don't, you were always supposed to do that? But then I think to all the bad people in the world, and I refuse to believe that murder and such happens because it's supposed to. I think there *has* to be free will involved. Maybe it's a security thing on my part, I don't know, but that's what I think.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin. View Post
Personally I believe in destiny, fate, the whole "whatever will be, will be" thing. I think this is largely due to the fact I'm frightened of screwing up, and I don't trust myself to control my entire life- I find it reassuring to believe some other force than my own conscious actions are causing events in my life.

Plus, it feels like magic and mystery, and everyone needs a bit of that in their lives
Honestly, if we somehow figured out that was true that would bother me :/ I wouldn't like knowing that I have no/little control in what was happening. I would want to control my own life. If I fuck something up then that's my own fault. If I do something good then that's because of my own actions.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Melon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
What if even if you change your mind right at the last second, you were always supposed to do that? Or, if you were going to change your mind but don't, you were always supposed to do that?
That is exactly how I feel. That whatever you do you were always going to. Also, I've heard a theory that all time is happening at the same time, and its our perception that makes time seem linear.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 07:58 PM

I believe we do have free will & control our fates. I understand how people may wonder "maybe I was supposed to make this decision so it'll do this later on", which I understand as I've questioned that with stuff such as my boyfriend, who I originally asked out in high school, he turned me down, & since then, we've grown up in ways I didn't think possible & now we're dating. It seemed like it was necessary. But here's where free will comes in, although it was better timing to date now, we could have said no. Anyone can say no, we just choose to go with whatever we think is the better option. This is how we end up with people committing suicide or going down a spiral slope in their lives with drugs or other problems that are considered serious in our societies. They chose to do those. There's no chemical in our brain saying "do the drugs, lose all your money, ruin your life". I mean there are SOME mental illnesses such as schizophrenia where people hear voices telling them they're horrible people & to kill themselves, but not every druggie or homeless person has those. Some people just choose to give up on everything. That's not a destiny.

I hope that makes sense, I tend to ramble on these kinds of topics.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 08:33 PM

I believe that you do control what happens in your life sometimes, but i also believe that everything happens for a reason and whats meant to happen will. I think that there are a lot of things in life that you can decide, and choose which path to take, but somethings just...happen.
Thats my stance on this. I don't know if that made any sense but oh well.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
PrimadonnaQueen Offline
left this site.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Free Will/Destiny - July 15th 2013, 09:33 PM

well, I'm not sure about free will,
But I believe that 'destiny' is just something lazy people believe in.
"What's meant to happen will happen, its destiny"
No its not! Your dreams won't magically come true! Go out into the world and make them come true, make them happen!

.....“You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.”.....

Closed Thread