TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BluePoison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sark

Party tips for a first time partyer - July 25th 2013, 05:23 AM

Hello !

I am an 18 year old girl and I have never been to a party. I have never been invited and just have never gone before, but I was finally invited.

Me and my best friend are going to a party on Saturday. I have literally no idea what to expect. This is not like a themed birthday party or anything. It is like 50 people that are over 20 at a house party. I am assuming there will be drinking and maybe drugs, I am not sure.

Me and my best friend are straight edge, as in we do not drink or do any sort of drugs. She smokes cigarettes but that is it. We are really nervous because this is our first party and we have literally NO IDEA what to expect. We hope cool people to talk to and some dancing, kind of like the movies.

We know it will not be exactly the same but will it a little ? Is it just people sitting around drinking and drugs and nothing else ?

Any tips or just some stories would be super helpful !

Thank you !

|| Keep telling yourself you are happy until you smile on accident ||

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 25th 2013, 06:26 AM

Stay with your friend and make sure if you are drinking something, that you keep an eye on it.

Other than that, the whole point of partying is having fun and being random.

Just remember to be safe, be smart, and if you don't feel comfortable doing something, don't do it.

Good luck and have fun.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 25th 2013, 12:07 PM

To be honest, we can't really tell you, as every party is different. I know our house parties in Ireland are different from those in the US anyway! Just have fun, relax, don't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do. Keep an eye on your drink at all times. Keep an eye on your bag/valuables at all times. Enjoy!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 25th 2013, 02:36 PM

Okay, parties have kind of been my thing lately. As said, every party is different. I'm just going to go through the kinds I've been to.

Alright, the people I hang out with have a lot of smaller parties where some people drink and some don't and we just sit around and talk and play games and listen to music and stuff. These are more "hang outs" than parties.

Then we have this one guy's house where there's a specific kind of party. The lights are usually off (minus the laser lights and party lights), and the music is usually loud enough that it's difficult to talk. Sometimes people go off to make out. More people are drunk at these, but there's a lot more people. Usually people end up outside talking and joking around. By the end of the night usually at least one person has thrown up, and someone usually ends up crying/a hot mess. I personally only like these parties if I'm in the drinking group.

I went to a 21st party a few weeks ago at someone's house. There were a LOT of people. There were people sitting on the couches talking, some playing video games. There were people playing with legos (I hang out with kind of nerdy people). Some people were outside talking/smoking. There was music but not really room to dance. And, there was beer pong. There's usually beer pong. Or flip cup. Basically just drinking games.

Now, I've also been to some more intense parties where people were smoking weed and doing molly. I've heard of parties that involved coke/heroin. The birthday party I just mentioned, some guy ended up offering said drugs.

I would suggest if you know there's hardcore drugs like that, you peace the hell out of there because you don't want a party with that shit to get busted. Keep your shoes on. I've noticed shoes get stolen a lot at parties (not necessarily on purpose). But don't fall asleep with shoes on (there's kind of a universal college age rule where if you fall asleep or pass out with shoes you're fair game for penis sharpie face). I know you said you're straight edge, but still don't let anyone else make your drinks (even just soda) unless it's someone you really know and trust. Keep your cup with you. Even if you go to the bathroom, bring your cup.

Overall, there's probably going to be jello shots, beer pong, flip cup, ring of fire, other drinking games, music, probably at least one or two people that may or may not hit on you in a creepy manner.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BluePoison Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sark

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 25th 2013, 06:38 PM

Thank you all very much ! That last post was very very helpful ! I feel a little more relaxed about it. We will definitely stick together, keep our shoes on, not let anyone handle our drink and peel out if there is hardcore drugs.

I appreciate the little tips and we will be safe !

|| Keep telling yourself you are happy until you smile on accident ||

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 26th 2013, 02:13 AM

Most important thing I forgot to mention: HAVE FUN!

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Party tips for a first time partyer - July 26th 2013, 07:10 AM

Quick tip if you're shy and want to meet more straight edge people. As Moon Moon said, there is often a group of people playing some type of video game, Wii, X-box, you name it. These people are typically the least drunk and rowdy, and often straight-edge, at least in my experience. If I ever lose my friend or feel uncomfortable, I usually join this crowd if I want to socialize without feeling overwhelmed. As stated, every party is different, but this is my quick tip.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread