TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Can animals do 'more'? - August 3rd 2013, 11:17 AM

I was in a discussion with someone a while ago about whether or not animals can do 'more'. By this I mean, for example, humans have learned how to create societies for themselves, towering buildings and moving machines whereas many other animals haven't. Birds create nests as their homes, dolphins have names for each other and are considered a highly intelligent species, monkeys etc are able to make tools for themselves to break open fruit and so on but, no animal seems to have matched the human.

The person I was in the discussion with said they think that animals, especially birds, aren't aware of their surroundings and aren't self-aware, that they do things without being aware that they do it. I disagreed because animals such as the orang-utan, it's a proven fact that they are self-aware. I think that animals besides humans can do 'more' but choose not to because they have learned all they need to do for surviving in their current times. One study of just a pigeon showed that it learned to turn its head in a specific manner in order for it to be provided with food, showing that even animals such as pigeons can learn to do 'more' but unless forced to by climate, other civilisations or evolution, for now they simply choose not to. Another study had a bubble emitter at the bottom of an ocean level to test the intelligence level of dolphins, at first they seemed wary of the ring of bubbles that would shoot from the bottom of the emitter but one curious dolphin chose to ignore the rest of its friends and family an swim through the circle of bubbles and soon, the dolphins made games using the ring of bubbles. This shows that dolphins can do 'more' too.

Humans are believed to have evolved from primates and are considered the most intelligent animal on the planet but did we become this way out of a need for survival? Although animals may or may not be able to match our level in which we have created so many things but, do they have the capability to? Even if many have no arms or legs? They learned to adapt to survive using their wings, heads, bodies, fins, tails, hands and their feet but can they eventually do the same as we do? Maybe they would on a lesser scale but seeing as it's believed that humans evolved from primates, perhaps all other animals will evolve into something else and become similar to us but in their own way.

Either way I was just wondering on what people's thoughts and opinions are as it'd be nice to see from another's perspective.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Re: Can animals do 'more'? - August 3rd 2013, 11:52 AM

I do believe most animals are aware of their surroundings, and act accordingly. Most creatures have been able to adapt to what they need to do to survive in a changing environment. Many are also clearly self-aware. Dolphins and Chimps have been proven, and others are well on their way. Parrots are another one, many species are very sensitive and self-aware of what's happening to them and how to react to it. To say animals aren't capable of being aware of their surroundings is a pretty ignorant statement...

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Can animals do 'more'? - August 4th 2013, 03:39 AM

Did you know that elephants mourn? Like, they take their dead, and place all of their dead in one area. Like a grave; and they visit them. I find that really interesting.

I do think animals are very much aware, way more than they are given credit for. For example, my cats will smell me to see if I've cut. And if they know I'm going to do something, they'll stand outside of the bathroom and cry while trying to get their paws under the door. So I definitely believe that they're very intelligent.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Can animals do 'more'? - August 8th 2013, 12:15 PM

Animals are more intelligent than a lot of humans give them credit for. If they weren't aware of their surroundings, they wouldn't survive.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fern Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Can animals do 'more'? - August 13th 2013, 05:25 AM

may be....................

Closed Thread