TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
007TeenHelp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I'm new any advice anyone? - September 21st 2013, 10:47 PM

Hey everyone so I'm new but I've known about this site and seen posts on it and looked at what other people helped others out with as a visitor. Now that I'm a member I did it because I want to help others but I also want to be a staff member, specifically a "buddy", in the next 2 months. I've read all of the requirements and I think I'd be helpful at it. So does anyone, who is a staff member, or even better a person who is already a "buddy" have any advice for me before I send an application probably in around a month and a half or so? Thanks guys.

Hey everyone. I'm new but I love to help I'll try to be here as much as I can!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 21st 2013, 11:07 PM

I may not be a buddy but I think that as far as staff applications go, have a presence around the site. Once you get used to the site a bit yourself, maybe you can even try your hand at welcoming new members and just making friends with the people on the site. Try and post in various places (various parts of the Support Forums, Blogs, Albums, etc) and maybe even check out the Chat Room. Basically, let it be known who you are and that you're a good member.

Then as far as applying goes, make sure to answer the questions as thoroughly and as honestly as you can, using good spelling and grammar, and know that if you don't get accepted, you can try again in another month! Don't get discouraged if it takes a few tries.

It's great you're already looking to be a help! Know you can be helpful even off Staff too.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 21st 2013, 11:39 PM

I'm a buddy, I'm a buddy *raises hand* ask me questions, ask meeeeee! welcome to the site, I'm Kayla. Honestly, us buddy's are busy bees, take some time, welcome people in here, go through threads and answer stuff that don't have many replys, just be involved. Meet new people in chat. Offer help.

If you have any questions about the site, or about becoming staff in the future you can of course come to me anytime.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~Divergent~ Offline
Struggling again.
I've been here a while

Name: Hailey

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 12:15 AM

Hey there! I'm a Buddy. Welcome to the site!

It's awesome that you want to help out, and that alone obviously increases your chances of having your application accepted. As others said, I would just try to get as involved with TH as you can. Try to be as helpful, honest, and polite as you can when responding to threads. Help new members feel welcome. Meet and talk to as many people as possible. Just do your best to make yourself known as a good member.

If you have any other questions about the Buddy position or about the site in general, feel free to ask me anytime! I'd love to help.

Take care,
Hailey

Member since 9/27/12
Buddy since 9/14/13

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 12:19 AM

It's so exciting to know that you want to help out around the site! As a Buddy, I'm just going to let you know now that it is a lot of work. The only reason I say that is because I know that some people seem to think that being a Buddy is the "easy job." That being said, if you're ready to commit, go for it!

One of the best pieces of advice I can offer you is to familiarize yourself with the different areas of the site. While most people are aware of the forums and the Chat room, there are a lot of great areas that people miss out on. These include our articles, videos, and newsletter! These, among others, are all areas that we try to encourage our new users to look at because they offer a lot of valuable information and resources. Check those out and get familiar with them, so you can start learning how to share lesser known areas of the site with new members.

One of the other major parts of our job is making sure that threads get answered in a timely manner! Start posting around the forums and offering advice where you can. Also, if there are areas that you're not sure how to offer advice for, look at some threads in that forum and learn from the way others answer those threads. For example, I knew nothing about offering anything but cliche advice to people posting in the pregnancy and childcare forum when I first joined TH. But, after reading the responses of others, I've gotten a much better grasp on it. Basically, start offering support in all areas - it'll be a huge help when it becomes part of your job.

The most well-known part of our job is welcoming new members! That's something that you can definitely start doing now, just by hanging around in the Arrivals and Departures forum. Also, try to keep up an active presence in the chat room, so people can start recognizing you and what a great member of the community you are.

I know I kinda slammed you with information, so I'm sorry if I overloaded you! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll help you to the best of my abilities!

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#6 (permalink)) Old
007TeenHelp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquerade. View Post
It's so exciting to know that you want to help out around the site! As a Buddy, I'm just going to let you know now that it is a lot of work. The only reason I say that is because I know that some people seem to think that being a Buddy is the "easy job." That being said, if you're ready to commit, go for it!

One of the best pieces of advice I can offer you is to familiarize yourself with the different areas of the site. While most people are aware of the forums and the Chat room, there are a lot of great areas that people miss out on. These include our articles, videos, and newsletter! These, among others, are all areas that we try to encourage our new users to look at because they offer a lot of valuable information and resources. Check those out and get familiar with them, so you can start learning how to share lesser known areas of the site with new members.

One of the other major parts of our job is making sure that threads get answered in a timely manner! Start posting around the forums and offering advice where you can. Also, if there are areas that you're not sure how to offer advice for, look at some threads in that forum and learn from the way others answer those threads. For example, I knew nothing about offering anything but cliche advice to people posting in the pregnancy and childcare forum when I first joined TH. But, after reading the responses of others, I've gotten a much better grasp on it. Basically, start offering support in all areas - it'll be a huge help when it becomes part of your job.

The most well-known part of our job is welcoming new members! That's something that you can definitely start doing now, just by hanging around in the Arrivals and Departures forum. Also, try to keep up an active presence in the chat room, so people can start recognizing you and what a great member of the community you are.

I know I kinda slammed you with information, so I'm sorry if I overloaded you! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message and I'll help you to the best of my abilities!
Thanks that actually really helped me. If you don't mind I might message you with questions later but for now I think I got it. So for now I really only have one more big question, do you guys get notifications or something about new members so that you can welcome them all and the same for unanswered threads? And I tried to go to the chat room but I couldn't get in. So because of me not being able to use the chat room is it still possible for me to become a buddy? Just one more question, I promise, I went to the applying screen to get any extra info I could but couldn't get to the buddy applications is that ok and can I apply for it when I'm ready?
Thanks

Hey everyone. I'm new but I love to help I'll try to be here as much as I can!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 02:54 AM

Yeah, there is a way for Buddies to see who is new to the site who hasn't gotten a welcome message. It's easy to see once you're a Buddy or even another Staff member, actually. No worries, you won't have to hunt them down. I'll let another Buddy explain this one further, if they'd like to.

As far as unanswered threads: Do you see a button up at the top of the screen that says search? It's under the TeenHelp logo. Click it, and hit Unanswered Threads. There's your list!

With the Chat Room, is your Java updated? That's a common reason why people can't get in, if their Java is outdated. If not, maybe try a different browser?

But yes, it is possible to become a Buddy still! Upon being accepted, you can let one of the members of the Performance Committee (that is the committee that monitors the activity and behavior of Staff members) know that you can't access Chat. Sammi and I actually are both members of the Performance Committee, but if you want a full list of the members of the Performance Committee, as well as members of the other Staff groups, click here. Normally the Performance Committee will work something out with you if you let us know that the Chat Room is an issue for you, like we may say to do extra welcome messages or something to make up for it. If Chat is still an issue when you join Staff, we'll work something out for sure.

The last question, maybe I'm just being dense but I'm unsure what you mean. When you click on the application for Buddy does it give you an error message, because I feel as if you were on the application before when you read the requirements? I may be misinterpreting, if so I apologize.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 09:00 AM

Hi there, welcome to the site I'm a buddy and I would agree with what others have said, try to get used to the site, welcome new members and reply to threads with not many answers.
Feel free to VM or PM me if you have any questions

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 12:40 PM

Hello and welcome! I'm glad to hear you're wanting to help out and join staff. If you stick around enough and get to know people as well as follow the great advice given here, you'll do just fine.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 22nd 2013, 01:20 PM

Hiya! I'm the A&D mod, and I just wanted to let you know that I moved your thread over to General because it's more of a question than an introduction, so I think you'll get better responses here. Also, I've been a buddy before, and I'm currently a member of the Talent Committee, so if you have any questions about applying for staff you're more than welcome to get in touch. Welcome to the site, I look forward to seeing you around, and I think it's great you want to help.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 23rd 2013, 05:28 AM

Welcome to Teen Help! Glad to see you're wanting to help out so much, hope to see you around!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 23rd 2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007TeenHelp View Post
Thanks that actually really helped me. If you don't mind I might message you with questions later but for now I think I got it. So for now I really only have one more big question, do you guys get notifications or something about new members so that you can welcome them all and the same for unanswered threads? And I tried to go to the chat room but I couldn't get in. So because of me not being able to use the chat room is it still possible for me to become a buddy? Just one more question, I promise, I went to the applying screen to get any extra info I could but couldn't get to the buddy applications is that ok and can I apply for it when I'm ready?
Thanks
Hi there,

As Dez said Buddies can see who is new and hasn't got a VM. You might not be able to see the buddy application form as you have to have a certain post count, over 25 I think it is to apply for staff positions.
You can find out more about the requirements here.
Quote:
Buddies greet new members and lend a helping hand to those who are struggling to use the various areas of the site. Buddies post in the forums (particularly the Arrivals and Departures forum), spend time in the Chat Room and leaving messages for users on the forums in order to accomplish these aims. Buddies should be friendly, outgoing, and knowledgeable in terms of the site and how it works.
This is from the Buddy application form describing the Buddy role.

Hope this helps, feel free to VM or PM me if you have any questions

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#13 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - September 25th 2013, 09:00 AM

I'm not a buddy, but I've applied. Pretty much, make sure you're good at giving advice, and that you've replied or made 25 posts or you cannot apply. But you have to make sure the answers are detailed with perfect spelling and punctuation. Otherwise it may be declined. Don't feel bad if it's not been declined, but if it has, wait a month (or just over to be on the safe side) before re-applying again. But make sure you WANT this position, instead of just wanting to be a part of the staff. But make sure you spend time in chat, and you know the site really well to direct new people in places

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - October 1st 2013, 01:05 PM

I would suggest to try out with the Associate Staff position first. Then after finding out whether you like it, you could advance to to the official Staff positions.

Associate Staff positions hold less responsibility and have fewer commitment hours. It's a great place to start out to have a feel of things, and would be a great stepping stone before joining full Staff position.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: I'm new any advice anyone? - October 2nd 2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfigment View Post
I would suggest to try out with the Associate Staff position first. Then after finding out whether you like it, you could advance to to the official Staff positions.

Associate Staff positions hold less responsibility and have fewer commitment hours. It's a great place to start out to have a feel of things, and would be a great stepping stone before joining full Staff position.
I'd like to clarify that this is not possible for the Buddy position.
Associate Positions:
  • Associate Live Help Operator (LH)
  • Associate HelpLINK Mentor (HL)
  • Facilitator (Chat Mentor)

It's advisable to just have a really good presence around the site for any, but particularly the Buddy, positions.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

Closed Thread