TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Abayomi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Allen

Question I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 6th 2013, 08:33 AM

Why do you do what you do ? More specifically, why do you reach out to strangers in attempts to make them feel better or help ? I know that many of you who do so probably have a pretty good reason or stories to tell, so I was just wondering what they were, if there are some .

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 6th 2013, 08:38 AM

Hi Allen,

The reason I welcome 'strangers' and try and help them out is because when I first started self harm, I never had that. I never had any comfort from anyone, not online or in person. I dealt with it alone until this year, and just being told that other people care and that you aren't alone helps, A LOT.

Without this, I don't think I'd ever have stopped for as long as I did, I couldn't last two days before that.

But yeah, that's why I welcome and comfort strangers.
~Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.

"In case you didn't know, dead people don't bleed. If you can bleed, see it, feel it, then you know you're alive. It's irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.”

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 6th 2013, 01:05 PM

I reach out to others because I've struggled as a teenager too. I have experienced self-harm, suicidal thoughts and attempts, depression, anxiety to some extent, and some bullying at school. I want to help others out there who might possibly be going through the same problems, so I reach out to them by welcoming them and getting to know them better. We all want someone at times who could listen and understand us and many people don't have that in real-life, so I do that for other people. I'm here to listen if anyone needs talk.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 6th 2013, 08:22 PM

I welcome new members because it's a nice thing to do, it's makes people feel welcomed to the site. As well, some people might come to the site but feel unsure about whether to post about their problems so having people welcome them and tell them that they are there for them etc. might help make them feel better and they might find it easier to talk to someone one on one than post so it helps in that sense.

As said, we've all wanted someone to listen and understand us sometimes and by welcoming new people to the site, you could be doing that for someone who needs it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 7th 2013, 01:24 AM

I just really like the people on this site and know that a lot of people helped ME feel welcome when I was new (and hell, they were a great help right from the get go), so I want to give the same thing back to new users that join, if that makes any sense.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 7th 2013, 02:14 PM

Because this is a site that should welcome anyone, regardless of age (despite it saying teen help), religion, disability, etc., and give support to those that need it. This site is meant to be a support system with those struggling with self-harm, eating disorders, or anything else that teenagers around the world are going through. I welcome people in A&D because they came here for a reason and I want to make them feel welcomed, at home, and know they're safe here on Teen Help.

I don't greet strangers in real life, but it's so much easier to do it online!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 7th 2013, 05:26 PM

When I joined I was welcomed with open arms, any time I asked for some help, I got it. I like to give back to a place that gives to me. Besides that, it's a great feeling knowing I've made someone feel welcome and comfortable. Giving to someone else is a great way of receiving something back and overall, it makes me feel good about myself.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 7th 2013, 05:37 PM

I welcome new members, members that leave, members that leave and come back, because I always want them to know they have someone to talk too, that they can always turn to me if they need something. Letting people know that I am there for them has always been important to me, helping others helps me in a way I guess I could say. Everyone here was so welcoming when I was new, and getting help. I wanted to do the same to new members, let them know there never alone.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ceinwyn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Isobel
Location: I'm a free spirit yo... Just haven't found the way out of leicester yet

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 9th 2013, 08:02 PM

I've been on a lot of forums in my time (ok, like four but whatever ) and TH is the only one to have given my a warm, accepting welcome right from the off. I like begin part of that welcoming committee

Women are women, regardless of sex,
and men are men, in the same respects.

You can be both, or a mix of the two,
or you can be neither, if that's what suits you.

But people are people, whatever their parts,
because what really matters, is inside of our hearts.

*Some poem I found on the internet*

(#10 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 10th 2013, 01:36 AM

I reach out because I know what it's like to be new and not know anybody. When I first joined the site, I got a warm welcome. I just want to pass that along to the newer members. I've been here for two years, but I don't really know too many people.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Glitter Offline
Bedazzler of Balderdash
Not a n00b

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 10th 2013, 12:38 PM

I just like to say hello to people. Could be the only time I get a chance to meet that individual in life.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
DedeTHESeed Offline
Not in use anymore.
Average Joe

Name: xxxxx

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 10th 2013, 02:29 PM

I reach out to them so they know that they aren't alone, and that we are here to help, no matter what.

It's to feel belonged in a place where everyone is accepting.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I have a question for those that welcome the new accounts on the Welcome post - December 12th 2013, 06:13 AM

Everyone here pretty much has given the same reasons that I do it. I rarely had anyone there growing up, I had to get through most of my stuff alone. So I know what it feels like to be there, and I want people that join here to know that they are not alone. That there others out there like them, along with people out there that do care about them and want to help them. I want them to feel like they are important, that they do matter and as I said earlier, that people do care about them and what they have to say.

Closed Thread