TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PeaceSoundsNice Offline
I like trains
Average Joe

Name: Dawn

"Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 04:46 AM

Anyone else notice that most of the people on here seem to be in their twenties or older? Kind of ironic that it's called Teen Help, no?

"When I'm in a pinch, you can save me, and when you're in a pinch, I'll be there for you. Friends."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 04:56 AM

Well, what's so special about TeenHelp is that it allows users of any age to be part of the community. I enjoy having users of all ages. We all have different perspectives and life experiences to share. Plus, plenty of the people past their teens now have been here for a while. A lot of forums don't allow people over the age of 18. I know of one forum that closes your account when you're no longer a teen.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 05:15 AM

A lot of users start off as teenagers, but then grow up with the site. I came to the site at around sixteen or seventeen, and I am now 22. I like the site too much to leave.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 05:43 AM

Good question, Dawn because yes, TeenHelp can be misleading since there are people of all ages and of all walks of life here but that is a positive thing in my view.

Calico put it perfectly. People that have had different experiences and have knowledge on specific subjects along with views/opinions/advice from people of all ages creates a good variety for the site. I really like how people of all ages coexist and get along here. I enjoy having people of all ages here. Plus, as Calico stated, a lot of people who are in their twenties were teenagers when they first joined. I dislike how some forums discontinue a person's membership based upon age. There's no reason to leave a site if it's helpful, therapeutic and/or enjoyable to that person.

TeenHelp even states in the Mission Statement that the aim is to provide advice and support to anybody in need. In addition to that, the Code of Conduct states that TeenHelp engages in equal opportunities which includes people of all ages being able to use resources of TeenHelp. TeenHelp is mainly aimed at teenagers to seek help but that doesn't mean people of all ages can't reach out and spend time here as well.

Basically, no one is locked away from TeenHelp or looked down upon simply based off a number. I can appreciate that a lot that people of all ages are accepted. Especially since a lot of teenagers enjoyed it here and wanted to continue sticking around for a variety of reasons - to talk to friends and socialize, to seek advice/support, and to share their advice and experiences for inspiration to other teenagers who may be going through the same thing they were as a teenager.

Plus, who'd want to leave such a friendly and supportive place?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 06:21 AM

I joined when I was 15, still here now. It may seem like a lot of us are in our 20's but there are definitely plenty of actual teens on here as well!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 06:36 AM

I joined TeenHelp when I was between 9th and 10th grade.
I first observed the site as a guest.
I stay around because I want to help people. I found this site helpful so I hope that other teens do as well.
Plus, I can get help here too and that is wonderful because some issues are not always age-restricted.
Also TH is one of the safer forum sites online and we do not have a lot of barriers on a daily basis that contribute to ruining the community.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 08:08 AM

I started on this site in 2007 when I was 15. I have been on here off and on since and am now 24. I've stayed because I really like the site.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 12:21 PM

Same as everyone else. I joined when I was 16, but have grown rather attached to TeenHelp I like helping but also like to get help for myself. I think it's nice that we have all ages on here because we have a lot of different experiences and backgrounds, which always makes things interesting! I hope the twentysomething members don't put guests/other members off just because of the age....we may be in our twenties but we aren't too bad Besides, I'm sure there are more teen members than non-teens around!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 04:37 PM

I first joined the site at 15. At the time I was struggling with different issues and wanted to help other people. The reason I have remained is because for myself TeenHelp is one of the only places I can be myself without fear of judgement that I may face in my day to day life. We have so many people of different walks of life here. People who can offer different insights and I think that is a beautiful thing about TeenHelp. As someone older on the site I feel that I can offer advice to those younger than me and I can really relate to some of those issues as it wasn't that long ago that I went through similar situations.

Once a lot of people find their place here they don't want to leave, and why should they as you don't necessarily need to be a teen to be part of this lovely community.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 05:27 PM

Like a lot of people already mentioned, a lot of us were like myself; I was still 17 when I joined in 2009, I was dealing with starting university, having no friends in a new city, as well as having a mental illness, so I reached out at a time that I needed help with the safety of an anonymous community where I wouldn't feel judged and then I just stuck around to provide advice to others and occasionally ask for advice or vent. The fact that the website is called TeenHelp is a little misleading, I agree with who said that already, because while some of us are in our early- to mid- 20's, other members are also as young as 10.

I also see value in that some of us are in our 20's for people who are still teenagers because we have had a lot of these experiences that the teenagers are currently having and will be able to provide advice that we learned through those experiences.

Plus, I find being in your 20's you're still exploring a lot, still learning who you are, still often in university or college, still dealing with boyfriends or girlfriends or sexual/gender identities, etc., thus the purpose of the website is invaluable to us in ways that other "adult" centred forums (e.g. wedding forums, family forums, baby-making forums, etc) won't

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#11 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 05:38 PM

*jumps on the "I joined the site as a teen and didn't want to leave" bandwagon*

The site has been running since 1998 (before some of the current teens were even born ) and, as there is no upper age limit, it's inevitable that there will be quite a few "oldies" on here.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; November 2nd 2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Added extra information.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 08:18 PM

Like many of the others, I joined in 2011 when I was 15 and I left for a while when I turned 18, but only because I went to Uni. And then I came back to help people they way they helped me...plus I missed everyone haha

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 09:45 PM

I joined in 2006 when I was 17.

Teenhelp has always had a lot of early adolescent members (20-23) and we are grateful for them. They provide insight to their teen years, which weren't decades ago like your parents and teachers. But as we all get older, those who really have a passion for this site stick around. Which is why you still see some of us in our later 20's. We may not be teens anymore, but we love to support our users and provide the best advice that we can.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: "Teen" Help - November 2nd 2015, 10:15 PM

I joined when I was 16 and because there isn't any other site like teenhelp out there (or as good as teen-help out there)I've stayed. I think the ages on here range from about 10-65 (though theirs not many who are 65) and the site is moderated like really well. The thing with this site is it doesn't discriminate against age. it allows any age to join no one ever says to anyone 'your to old' or 'your to young' because on this site we're a community and alot of people on the site have been through similar things - it acutally helps to have younger and older people because sometimes the younger users teach us things.. and we can like give our advise to the younger users. it works quite well . the thing is we've all joined this site because we've got all problems. so we all get where each other is like coming from on some sort of level.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: "Teen" Help - November 7th 2015, 06:00 AM

I joined in 2007 when I was 14 and returned when I was 16.

I'm now 22 and decided not to leave.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: "Teen" Help - November 7th 2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post
*jumps on the "I joined the site as a teen and didn't want to leave" bandwagon*

This.

I joined as a teen. It's way too hard to leave now. The site is home. The members are family. <3

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#17 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: "Teen" Help - November 7th 2015, 09:58 AM

Jumping on that bandwagon. I joined when I was somewhere between 11 and 13 and have been here and not since then a few times, but god willing I'm here to stay now.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: "Teen" Help - November 8th 2015, 06:19 PM

I joined as a teenager and now I'm almost 21.
I think a lot of people who join as teens do grow out of the site. There are still more teenagers than adults and I have seen a lot of people realise the site isn't helping them any more and leave. But, if you have issues as a teen they don't just automatically go away when you hit 20. The reasons I joined the site (mental health, relationships, sexuality and gender...) are all still things I'm dealing with and, although I hope that as I grow older I'll learn to cope better, this site is still the most helpful tool Ive find for dealing with them. And people stick around till they feel like they don't need the site anymore, which is fine.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread