TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 5th 2015, 06:55 PM

I am just wondering, what drives someone to identify as a species other than the homo sapiens/human race?

I am just getting on board with transgenders. It took me years to accept homosexuality and I believe love is love, no matter what your sexual orientation is. Transgenders is understandable because you can't decide what gender you are at birth. If you are unhappy with it, you can transition to the opposite gender or just be agender.

But to not be human? I don' understand. I do question my gender once in a blue moon, but I never question whether or not I am a cat, a horse, or a dolphin. They're my favorite animals, but they live so much shorter than humans and aren't as capable of an extensive vocabulary like we are. Their mental capacity on a human level is probably an IQ of 20 or 25.

So, yeah, why not the human race?

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1209760 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 5th 2015, 07:52 PM

From what I understand (although my only experience of this is on tumblr and you know how people on tumblr can exaggerate) they believe that in a past life they were that animal and now they've been reincarnated as a human but their soul is still linked to their past animal form.

Personally, I think it's a load of rubbish and find the whole idea ridiculous and in some ways I find it mocking of things like transgender issues and identifying as another gender but that's just my opinion and if someone REALLY wants to identify as a dog then they can go ahead but I'll still think it's silly.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 5th 2015, 08:36 PM

Because Tubmlr is an awful, awful place.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ninasju Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Nina

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 7th 2015, 02:55 PM

I am REALLY confused, what's the question?
Most of all animals (humans, bears, dogs, so on, so on) are driven by sexuality for survival in the big picture.
Gender and sexuality is something humans reflect and think a lot about, we are so much more then just our instincts, but gender and sexuality doesn't change your species, that's impossible.
Homosapiens are the name for humans, like the current version, in theory the closest before us were Neanderthals.
SO a homosapien is a person, a human today.
Sexuality and identity has to do with our personalities, but not our basic anatomy, and species...
I'm guessing I misread the question

"Honey don't stop trying & you'll get what you deserve"
- Axl Rose

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 8th 2015, 04:35 PM

When I've heard about speciesism, it has to do with people thinking that animals share similar consciousness to us, not about humans believing they are an animal. Regardless, I don't think it's comparable to trans folks?

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 8th 2015, 05:11 PM

As far as I'm aware, you're referring to otherkin. Being otherkin is not comparable to being trans or being gay.

A lot of people who identify as otherkin see it as something spiritual. It's more comparable to a religion. They believe they've been reincarnated.

Others use it as a coping mechanism. Some people are neurodivergent in some way (mentally ill, autistic etc) and use the idea that they are actually an animal as a way to cope with negative feelings or not understanding other people. This is not to say that all neurodivergent people feel this way, I think the number is pretty small, but there are people like that.

For others it's that they feel an affinity with a particular animal. They feel close to that animal so they choose to 'identify' as it.

I don't really understand it, but so long as it doesn't hurt anyone then I don't see why we can't live and let live.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Homo Sapiens and other species. - November 10th 2015, 11:18 AM

This is quite the question.
Thanks for putting it out there.
I do not know much about this though I know people that do.
Other replies have given the jist of what I was going to mention so I will not repeat what they have said.
I have a friend that assigns animals to people she cares about/gets along well with...oddly enough she has not found one for me yet...
Anyways, great topic and thought-provoking discussion!
Plus, with my limited understanding of this, I do not believe this is similar to transgender either.

Closed Thread