TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

How to stop overthinking? - November 24th 2015, 08:05 PM

Hey guys, so I'm struggling with overthinking with things, even when mentally tired (I think more when tired) and it feels like it hinders my happiness, I rarely smile nowadays too. So yeah.

I want help with overthinking cause it destroys my day at times. Do you guys have any tips that I could use?

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: How to stop overthinking? - November 24th 2015, 10:15 PM

Hey, Jordi!

That sounds difficult and I can see why it'd interfere with your happiness. I'm sorry this happens. What sort of things do you find yourself overthinking?

At some point I read about a few habits you can get yourself into that can reduce overthinking. One is to set time-limits for decisions. If you procrastinate you'll most likely begin analyzing and overthinking the situation. Say, you are wondering whether to do homework or play a video game first. You know the homework is important so if you choose to play a video game first you're going to be thinking how you should be doing homework most likely the entire time. Ah! Here you are, overthinking what it'll be like depending on which option you choose. Caught you. Setting time-limits is important. When you're faced with a decision like that, give yourself 30 seconds or a minute to decide.

Secondly, take action whenever you are faced with the opportunity. Whether you need to get homework done or you need to do chores around the house, do your best to take action as if you're crossing off a "to-do" list. That will hopefully prevent you from staying in your thoughts too long. You can begin with the small things and work up to the larger things that you find yourself overthinking. Speaking of, thinking in a wider perspective may help. Acknowledging you don't have control over everything is important, because you can drive yourself crazy thinking about all the "what ifs" in life. Practicing staying in the moment and embracing the present can help a lot. Just take it one step at a time, you know?

If you find yourself getting lost in your thoughts, give yourself frequent reminders of what you are doing to stay in touch. For example, if you're going for a walk, tell yourself that if you find yourself overthinking. Focus on the present and all the small things like the smell of the air or the trees. That may sound weird, but simple reminders and simple things can bring you out of your thoughts if you make yourself aware. Having several things on your mental list you know you need to get done day to day can be beneficial as well. Do your homework, do the dishes, clean, do any extra chores, work on a hobby etc.

Worrying can be a big source of overthinking. However, a lot of worries have no solid ground and are vague. Yet they impact our thinking in a big negative way. I realize it is easier said than done, but try establishing what worries have rational reason for worry and focus on what you do have control over. Thinking smart to prevent issues in your life is a great thing, but it's important to maintain a balance to work on aspects of your life you do have control over.

All those things I listed may help and I hope they do. Be sure to do your best to get to a point of balance in your thoughts. Establish what is rational (what you have control over) and remind yourself that sometimes, it's okay to worry. Say, you're worried about a family member who is ill - that's perfectly rational and everyone will worry. It's important how you handle that worry. Don't block it out, just be sure you handle it in a healthy way of coping and dealing with it.

I acknowledge that some of this is easier said than done but the point is to slowly make progress, you know? Work on it little by little and hopefully you won't have as many moments of overthinking. Hope things improve for you soon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: How to stop overthinking? - November 28th 2015, 04:33 PM

I am the same way.
Ellie gave you some great suggestions.
I find it helpful to break things down. I am struggling with it at the moment and I am not always great at it but old habits are had to break as the saying says.
The key is time-limits as Ellie suggested. Another key is to be sure that when you make that choice you stick to it no matter what. The third key is learning to split up tasks. For instance, if you have to do homework and do dusting and laundry, be sure to split them up.
You can put the clothes in the washer before starting your homework, do homework for about 20 minutes, maybe dust a counter or table and then switch the clothes to the dryer, do twenty more minutes of homework, dust, homework, take laundry out of dryer. Then you can fold shirts, put them away, Etc. Etc.
You get the idea.
It is about portioning and dividing your time so that you are doing all you need to in moderation.
It may also help to get your self in a routine from when you wake up to when you go to sleep at night, allot yourself plenty of time to sleep and during the day portion out time for homework, class, any job you may have or chores Etc.
Hope this helps and you can PM me if you need anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anonymiousx54 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to stop overthinking? - December 3rd 2015, 10:46 AM

How to stop overthinking?
Maybe just try to make some time for yourself and relax! Take a nice bath , listen to music try to be calm with yourself for a moment on the day.

Closed Thread