TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nick Felton Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation ASAP please help - February 19th 2016, 10:22 AM

Could someone explain the real meaning to this quote for me

--- Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: ASAP please help - February 19th 2016, 12:31 PM

I think the real meaning of something greatly depends on whom you ask Someone might read something entirely different into this quote than you or I do.
Though if you ask me I think it means, that if you sacrifice something that is important to you just to fit in or be popular, then you not only loose what you sacrifice but a piece of your character, something that makes you unique and special.
That does by no means mean, that someone who fits in looses part of themself. It only aplies if it goes against what's important to you.
Like if someone buys a bunch of white shirts because they are populare right now and whats most important to them is that they get along with everyone, then thats not loosing character, if the most important for that person is to be creative and independend and they don't even like the colour white, then that would mean loosing character just to fit in.

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ASAP please help - February 19th 2016, 08:34 PM

I'll start by using a few examples.

A Christian teenager might believe in waiting for sex until he or she is married (I'll just use she pronouns but please assume it applies to all genders). Maybe she doesn't care if other's do it, but that's what she believes it. So if she decides to have sex any how, it might wear on her character because it'll be chipping away at bits of her values/morals/beliefs.

Or maybe someone is not into drinking, whether that's just a personal choice or a religious one (despite being atheist I didn't drink until I was in univesity, I had nothing against it but I had no interest in it). So if a teenager who's more introverted and doesn't like partying or drinking gets with the wrong crowd, he might totally change who he is (his character) because those people negatively influenced him.

I'm not sure if that helps, but examples ike that might help make sense of it.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: ASAP please help - February 20th 2016, 02:29 PM

To me it means that if you give up your beliefs or morals to be popular or to fit in, then you lose an important part of yourself, which is a bad thing.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread