TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 02:02 AM

Hey everyone!

Been quiet a first day here, I had spilled a lot of bottled up feelings today it's great! This thread will just related to gay guys, since that is what I am.

Back to the title. If you ever say "That's so gay" please just keep your mouth shut. At one point like every other gay person I've met, goes through an awkward and depressing time. Saying "That's so gay" makes some people, at least me, offended in some way. I absolutely can't stand people who say it, if you do, you sound so stupid and uneducated. Thing about the actual meaning of it. Calling a homework assignment "gay" doesn't make any sense! I'm pretty sure an assignment isn't attracted to any gender last time I checked. I know most of the people who say it don't mean any harm, but think before you say.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 02:49 AM

I get this too. But GAY also means happy but it still is weird to say.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 02:30 PM

Although it may be frustrating to hear people use a lack of correct terminology for something, or seem like they're uneducated in that they don't seem to realise what the word truly means, when I was growing up the word 'gay' was often used not necessarily due to being uneducated or misinformed about the term's 'true' meaning but because where I lived it was actually slang for the word 'stupid'. When people use the word 'cum' instead of 'come', as in 'Are you coming out today?' it annoys me because it's as if they can't use the correct English but when you think about it, to them it's not necessarily as though they have poor English, it's just a slang term.

Life is for living, not for losing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 03:11 PM

Lol and to think that saying something is "stupid" is wrong for the same reasons; you're using someone's low intellectual abilities as an insult / negative thing. But most people don't get wound up about "stupid", it tends to be words like "that's so gay", faggot, tranny, retard etc that are really offensive.

Any how so a lot of people are just ignorant. You, as a gay teen, might have learned earlier that the use of this word as a negative thing (e.g. that's so gay).

The best thing to do when you hear people say such things is to respectfully let them know that you consider their use of that word offensive. Here is an article that can provide you with a few different ways to say that. It actually pertains to using the word "retard", but it can easily be adapted for your purposes.

One example that's different from what's on the page:

Just so you know, when you use the word "gay" in that way, it's offensive. You're using someone's sexuality in an insulting way and I would really appreciate it if you try to be more conscious of that around me in the future.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stephe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephe

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
Lol and to think that saying something is "stupid" is wrong for the same reasons; you're using someone's low intellectual abilities as an insult / negative thing. But most people don't get wound up about "stupid", it tends to be words like "that's so gay", faggot, tranny, retard etc that are really offensive.

Any how so a lot of people are just ignorant. You, as a gay teen, might have learned earlier that the use of this word as a negative thing (e.g. that's so gay).

The best thing to do when you hear people say such things is to respectfully let them know that you consider their use of that word offensive. Here is an article that can provide you with a few different ways to say that. It actually pertains to using the word "retard", but it can easily be adapted for your purposes.

One example that's different from what's on the page:

Just so you know, when you use the word "gay" in that way, it's offensive. You're using someone's sexuality in an insulting way and I would really appreciate it if you try to be more conscious of that around me in the future.
Thanks. I know I am contradicting myself in a way by saying it is stupid, but you get my point

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 07:35 PM

Someone will get offended no matter what. You could say that saying this only relates to gay men is offensive because some homosexual women consider themselves gay. I do think people should try a little harder when it's something that offends a large number of people, but there's no way everyone will be happy. I personally try to avoid letting things offend me, unless it's someone I'm close to and they know how I feel.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I know I am contradicting myself in a way by saying it is stupid, but you get my point
I was *kind of* joking haha so no worries ^^ :P

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - February 28th 2016, 10:22 PM

Personally, I'm queer and I generally don't take exception to it. Probably because I've been subjected to much worse in terms of abuse I've gotten for my gender and sexuality and kids saying "that's so gay" seems absolutely tiny to me. However, I just think it's pretty innocuous, it's simply street slang. Like the way I use the word "fag(s)" daily, because where I live "fags" are cigarettes.

Though of course I'm unlikely to take someone who says "that's so gay" seriously, but I don't take cishets seriously on just about anything related LGBTQ-related, so.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Why saying "That's so gay" is stupid - March 1st 2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterial Rainbow View Post
Someone will get offended no matter what. You could say that saying this only relates to gay men is offensive because some homosexual women consider themselves gay. I do think people should try a little harder when it's something that offends a large number of people, but there's no way everyone will be happy. I personally try to avoid letting things offend me, unless it's someone I'm close to and they know how I feel.
This. Plus, if you're still in the closet, and someone says "that's so gay" as in "that's dumb" then how are they supposed to know you are gay? Like Keena said, I'd only be upset if it were someone I trusted like a close friend or family member. Because they're the ones that have an actual spot in my life, and I obviously trust them because of it.

No matter what word people replace "stupid" with, although I don't know why, it's going to end up on the euphemism treadmill one way or another. It's going to offend someone, whether it's today or fifteen years down the road.

Closed Thread